'88 Henna M3 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'88 Henna M3 project

Figured I'd start a project thread, since that's exactly what this car is. For the background, you can check out my introduction thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186679 Although it got a bit derailed, so I'll repost the basics here.

1988 BMW M3
    Hennarot with Black buffalo leather
    189,000 miles
    Evo II Airbox
    16" TSW Evo wheels
    Turner/Jim Conforti chip
    New battery

Goals:
    Get the car road-safe, legal, and drivable. This will be my fair-weather daily driver, NOT a garage queen. Also I'm sticking with the S14, no motor swaps.

Purchased as a non-running car on October 19th. Car had sat for the better part of 6 years, 5 inside a garage and the last year sitting outside. Pushed it home and worked on getting it started. Injectors were clogged, once those opened up the car fired right up! Over the past few weeks I've been replacing parts, and tons of cleaning.

The interior is in awesome shape, no rips or tears but a few wear spots on the driver's bolster. Exterior is good as well except for the roof, the paint is cracked really badly which will need to be repainted.

Former Glory (BMW Concours Circa 2000):

The day I got it home:

Update 06/2011: M3 is running great and I drive it almost every day. Took it to the Leavenworth Drive and the E30 Picnic, got a lot of great feedback!

Major jobs complete:
    -Got engine running
    -Fixed various electrical problems fixed (instruments, lights, locking, etc)
    -Installed H&R Race springs, Bilstien Sport shocks, 16x8 BMW Style 5 wheels
    -Replaced giubo, center support, various suspension and engine bushings
    -e36 timing chain tensioner
    -New brakes, Zimmermann rotors + PBR pads
    -New Thermostat, various engine hoses
    -Refinished valve cover
    -Refreshed front bumper: Fogs, euro tow hook covers, bumper plugs, black bumper trim
    -Refinished Euro grilles
    -Valve adjustment, base idle set, TB synch, throttle linkage lube
    -TMS baffle installed
    -S14 Rod Bearing replacement

Recent pictures:

Last edited by IronJoe; 06-29-2011, 11:48 AM.
    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Yeah, the only thing I woulda said to do was answered in the last pic...16x8 style 5s. Well, I guess your done. Congrats!

COTM

Comment

Nice red head, what tires do you plan to use with the style 5's? 225-45-16's are hard to find. I do know that FK452's are still available in this size. You will need a 3mm spacer for the style 5's or remove the anti rattle clips.

My pads drove me batty I got 3 mm spacers for mine when I was running them.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Yeah, I hate the limited selection in that size. Since this is going to be a street car and I live in the PNW, I'm going with the BFG KDW2 due to the good wet & dry traction. It's not the sportiest tire but like I said, this is a driver.

As for spacers, I'm going with 3mm in the front and 5mm in the rear.

Comment

Might look around for some Toyo T1R's, I have gotten good wear out of mine and they do pretty decent.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Nice car! Great choice on wheels!
            I love Henna!!!
            sigpic
            1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
            1987 325ic Black Vert
            1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
            1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

I just got some BFG KDW2 in 225-45-16 for my later reveal. Its prolly the only tire I would run for performance in mind.

COTM

Comment

Nice pick up! Can't wait to see it with the Style 5s. :pimp:
                Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Looks great! I love henna! Tought about painting my M' car this for quiet a while.

88' m3
                  91' 318is

Comment

damn great car! I look forward to seeing the progress!
                    stephenbrody.com

Comment

everything about it is awesome. don't change a thing about it.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Attended yesterday's Caffeine & Gasoline at Griot's Garage in Tacoma. Someone snapped a pic, thought I'd share:

Comment

Mmmm delicious.

maybe powder coat that valve cover or re-paint the letters
                          -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                          -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                          MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                          Got Drop?? ;-)
                          Originally posted by JinormusJ
                          But of course
                          E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Very nice! You're fairly local to myself. I'd love to check it out. Maybe get a ride in an actual S14 car ;) I'll give you one in the S50 heap!

To be honest, I've never sat in, been closer than on the highway to an E30 M3. I know, under privlidged.
                            Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Looks great. I for one canlt wait to hopefully see this one in person.

ck_taft, if the OP doesn't let you fondle his M, when I get home, you can oggle mine ;)

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X