No announcement yet.

91 318is Never ending project(s) journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s pretty cool! I don’t think I’ve ever noticed that piece!

progress looking good! Excited to see it come together.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Minor update, decided to swap out 30yr plus lug bolts with new ones.

New lug bolts:

Before:

After:
      Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
      BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Small update. The water tight connectors for the brake fluid level sensor were brittle and the plastic jackets were all gone. Every time I washed my engine bay, the light in the cluster would go on until it dried. I got a new housing and spliced in new BMW watertight terminals. My original housing was cracked so I bought a new one. Even thought the PN is new, it is now longer, and my assumption is that you do not need the grommet at the end. I reused the grommet because mine was intact.

Old vs New

New WT connectors in new housing

Installed:

Here I replace the housing on the windshield washer pump. The clips had broken off over time being the original connector. New on top of old.

Comment

I am working on installing my Stromung m42 exhaust after 7 years of my custom one. I decide to refresh all the mounting hardware from BMW as well. New heat shield and mounting brackets.

Before:

After:

Comment

[QUOTE=monty23psk;n10087680]I am working on installing my Stromung m42 exhaust after 7 years of my custom one. I decide to refresh all the mounting hardware from BMW as well. New heat shield and mounting brackets.

Curious on how the fitment is for you and what you think of the sound when you get it out there.

Comment

[QUOTE=onesecond;n10087743]
              Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
              I am working on installing my Stromung m42 exhaust after 7 years of my custom one. I decide to refresh all the mounting hardware from BMW as well. New heat shield and mounting brackets.

Curious on how the fitment is for you and what you think of the sound when you get it out there.
              Fitment was good because I got all brand new hardware. The old brackets were modified/bent a little to fit the previous custom Dynomax exhaust. The hanger for the small 8 figure rubber doughnut could have been 2 inches closer to the catalyst flange connection. The sound is way better, a little quieter and less raspy.

Comment

I need to post pics of the exhaust installed. It sounds great!

I was looking around engine bay and noticed the 30+ year plus original rubber hose from TB to charcoal canister was in bad shape. I got a new replacement from BMW.

New Hose:

Before:

Hose cut to length. New and old side by side:

New installed:

Comment

Here is the Stromung exhaust installed pics.

Comment

So after I replaced the charcoal canister/fuel purge valve hose, I noticed the Bosch 2-pol connector has one lead that was oxidized. I rebuilt the connector/pins with another Bosch rebuild kit and after I did that, the purge valve lasted a week before the CEL came on. I guess it was making contact in the right place but after new metal came in, the oxidation inside the valve connector was not making good contact. I order a new on from BMW, swapped it in and no more CEL. After the atthevintage event, I am going t rebuild the actual charcoal canister as the outside looks like it is truly over 30yrs old.

Here is a pic of old vs new:

Comment

I noticed the brake booster check valve hose were all cracked. Decided to replace it all and went with an e36 check valve as the e30 version is NLA.

Before:
                      20230430_095238

Parts:
                      20230430_153000

After:
                      20230430_213339

Comment

Been busy with life but still enjoying the e30. After searching 3 years, I finally found the elusive air intake box snorkel.
                        Here a picture of the gap where the tube should go:

I sourced one that had a little bit of grime build up and the bellows had two tears. I did the bellow repair with crazy glue and RTV as I found online, and then gave it the SEM treatment. SEM Soap, gray scuff pad and then SEM trim paint. It came out pretty nice.

And here it is installed:

Comment

So after 32 year and one week from my car coming off the factory line, the hood shock was replaced. It went bad a few weeks ago and the hood wouldn't stay open if it was just touched or while on a slight incline. I opted to get the OE part as it was just few dollars more and it has the work E30 labeled on it, which I fine cool. here is before and after:

Comment

Working...
                          X