No announcement yet.

E30 M3 Steel Bodywork Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the seam sealer your using? I remember reading it was a 3M product but what is it called. Car looks great. Are you doing any work to the motor your putting in this beast? Your doing an M60 or is it an M62?

Comment

Good progress man, I am sure you can't wait to get the body work done :) That is one thing that would drive me nuts.....
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Gobig_us View Post
        What is the seam sealer your using? I remember reading it was a 3M product but what is it called. Car looks great. Are you doing any work to the motor your putting in this beast? Your doing an M60 or is it an M62?
        It's 3M Brushable Seam Sealer... that's what it's called, but it's not being offered anymore, as of a month or so ago. I got the last couple of cans from my paint distributor for back-stock. There are other brands though. The motor will be mostly stock for this year, it will probably get "work" done to it over this winter though... sleeved, ITB's, cams, etc. We'll see... I just want to drive it this summer, so I'll put it together to drive it, maybe build a second motor for next year over the winter...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
          Good progress man, I am sure you can't wait to get the body work done :) That is one thing that would drive me nuts.....
          Thanks Jean... I just want to see it all 1 color, Lol! Whatever that takes...

Garey

Comment

First it was bare metal, then it was gray... today it was tan first, then it was white!

Rocker Schutz...

Schutzed the underside...

Then shot some color on it...

Busy day, but lots of headway. Now to shoot some clear on it and keep moving forward...

Garey

Comment

Great build! Excellent attention to detail.

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
              2 things... the cover has to be relieved from the inside to clear the reluctor ring, which is bigger in diameter on the E30 ring gear than the E36 ring gear and then a spacer has to be machined to raise the speed sensor .300", so it clears the ring, as well. Other than that, it's a bolt-on affair...

Garey
              We just did the Randy Forbes' m coupe frame reinforcement kit on a 98 and we had the change the m3 reluctor ring for the one in a standard e36 model. Was there was no alternative to making a spacer and clearance the cover, or was that the only size ring for the small case diff?
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                Great build! Excellent attention to detail.

We just did the Randy Forbes' m coupe frame reinforcement kit on a 98 and we had the change the m3 reluctor ring for the one in a standard e36 model. Was there was no alternative to making a spacer and clearance the cover, or was that the only size ring for the small case diff?
                Honestly, I didn't look into whether or not there was another ring option. I knew that the cover could be clearanced and the spacer was no big deal to turn up on the lathe, so it wasn't a big deal to me. I don't know if a different ring could be used or not. There may not be another option...

Garey

Comment

Awesome. I think the cage is my favorite part. Its so clean!
                  Originally posted by joshw02
                  Nice, did the saturn interior swap I see.
                  Originally posted by Ian Bowers
                  If we ever get in a BMW fight with Norway, you're our best hope.

Comment

Originally posted by gmyers395 View Post
                    Awesome. I think the cage is my favorite part. Its so clean!
                    Thanks man, I'm happy the underneath is almost ready to re-assemble...
                    Your sig is hysterical!

Garey

Comment

Thanks man, I'm happy the underneath is almost ready to re-assemble...
                      Your sig is hysterical!

Garey
                      Haha thanks!
                      Originally posted by joshw02
                      Nice, did the saturn interior swap I see.
                      Originally posted by Ian Bowers
                      If we ever get in a BMW fight with Norway, you're our best hope.

Comment

So I got the rear coilover stuff today and I was able to get the car off the rotisserie and back down on the wheels... pics...

And some re-assembly shots...

Garey

Comment

Dude, awesome!
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

And some re-assembly shots...

mind blown... looks so nice & clean! Nice Job!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
                            I'm just wondering why you didn't drift out of harm's way.

Comment

staggering attention to detail...

i dream of one day getting the opportunity to help create something like this will be.

Comment

amazing work done here
                                -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                                -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                                MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                                Got Drop?? ;-)
                                Originally posted by JinormusJ
                                But of course
                                E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Working...
                                X