E30 M3 Steel Bodywork Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MR 325 View Post
    Wow, amazing work again. I can't wait to see the end result of this car.
    Thanks, I can't wait either! It's amazing that my brain hasn't exploded from the anticipation of almost a year of work and I still can't drive it, Lol! Now I know why they call them projects...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
      I'm pretty sure I bought the 5 lug suspension off that red M3, and it made its way into MikeK's former car.

I love how this is coming together!
      Wow, that's cool... small world. Having that suspension still under the car would have made it infinitely easier for me to pull it home, but I made it back okay, Lol!
      I just brought my own 4 lug setup and bolted it on before I left, Lol! I made another big step forward today... see the next post...

Garey

Comment

I spent a few hours fitting and welding on the C-pillar today. Got the car prepped and shot with some weld-thru primer, same for the C-pillar. Then I put some new strip caulking in at the base of the C-pillar, since the original stuff was dried out, clamped it on the car for the final time, using about 5 million clamps and started welding. You can see all of the clamps on the rear deck in the first couple of pictures, haha. I plug welded across the roof and under the rear deck, edge welded the inner area to the original window frame and did little 1/2" beads down the pillar from the roof to the quarter, trying to mimic what the factory did for the most part. The fit was pretty good right off the bat, so I didn't have to play around with it too much before I was happy with the fit and could weld it on. After I got done welding, I dressed the welds at the trunk opening and scuffed down the drivers side pillar and gave that a quick shot of primer. Still have a lot of finishing work to do, but it looks pretty good I think...

Hard to believe the C-pillar is actually on the car now...

Garey

Comment

WooHoo! Looks great...

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

Thanks man... always feels good to get a thumbs up from a real M3 owner. Mine will never be a real M3 by VIN, but this car is about as close as you can get without the pedigree...

Garey

Comment

Dam man, looks great!! This thread gets better and better every time I read through it. I enjoy watching your work over and over again!! LOL!! Keep it up man!! Mad props my friend!!

And your 540 is the tits!! :up::up:
              1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
              sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
              The Build...

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                Thanks man... always feels good to get a thumbs up from a real M3 owner. Mine will never be a real M3 by VIN, but this car is about as close as you can get without the pedigree...

Garey
                Thanks, mine may be a 'real' M3, but the blood sweat and tears that are giong into your build make yours every bit as special.

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

Wow - that's some fearless bodywork modification! Great job! I've got all of the Gruppe A fenders, but standard 3-series C-pillars. Hmm...

-Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by drutt23 View Post
                    Dam man, looks great!! This thread gets better and better every time I read through it. I enjoy watching your work over and over again!! LOL!! Keep it up man!! Mad props my friend!!

And your 540 is the tits!! :up::up:
                    Thanks man, here's a better shot of the 540 from last summer...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by RainierHooker View Post
                      Thanks, mine may be a 'real' M3, but the blood sweat and tears that are giong into your build make yours every bit as special.
                      I appreciate your support of this build! Not everyone shares your sentiments, but I figure if I'm gonna build an E30 the way I want it, why not go the full monty, right?

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by BruceBe View Post
                        Wow - that's some fearless bodywork modification! Great job! I've got all of the Gruppe A fenders, but standard 3-series C-pillars. Hmm...

-Bruce
                        Thanks Bruce... It only took me almost a year to find and secure the donor M3 for the parts for this build... they're out there, you just need a little lady luck on your side to find the "right" candidate. ;)

Garey

Comment

I keep inching closer to paint... got some primer on the back half today. Also got the C-pillar seam sealed to the shell across the roof and down the pillars. I needed to get the primer on it so I can seam seal around the rear at the tops of the quarters...

Time for bed...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by RainierHooker
                            Thanks, mine may be a 'real' M3, but the blood sweat and tears that are going into your build make yours every bit as special.
                            agreed.

Work of art. You’re a f’ing artist Garey.

You mentioned the making of lists earlier – and it really hit home for me. Some days – out in the shop – I wouldn’t be able to get a damn thing done if I didn’t make lists and goals per day. You make those lists – and start checking things off – and you get to the end goal in a much quicker, methodical manner.

Jesus – I love this build. Wow.

Trying to think how funny it’d be if you put an m10 in there – but yeah, I’m low on sleep..
                            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I fucking LOVE this thread. Honestly this thread right here is half my current motivation to do well in college.

Body roll+perspective=the poor man's drop

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                                agreed.

Work of art. You’re a f’ing artist Garey.

You mentioned the making of lists earlier – and it really hit home for me. Some days – out in the shop – I wouldn’t be able to get a damn thing done if I didn’t make lists and goals per day. You make those lists – and start checking things off – and you get to the end goal in a much quicker, methodical manner.

Jesus – I love this build. Wow.

Trying to think how funny it’d be if you put an m10 in there – but yeah, I’m low on sleep..
                                Thanks man... lists work for me, for some reason. I like the idea of being able to look at it after things get lined out and see what I've done and what's left. Especially if you're taking on the harder tasks first... then you have a list of easy stuff left and that's a big motivator.
                                An M10 would be funny... just think of the M60 as 2 M10's on a common crank, if that helps, Lol!

Garey

Comment

Working...
                                X