Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malik's 87 325is build (DAILY DRIFT E30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bmwguy325is
    replied
    Originally posted by e46s54dr View Post
    Make sure you add a tube of friction modifier if you have an lsd rear end.:D
    If you buy the right RedLine it comes pre mixed. Look on the back of your bottle I cant remebr but if it dosnt say anything at all tahn you got just oil. I know ford sells friction modifer for $5. THe LSD will make a whining noise when you turn corners if you dont have it in
    As for the battery it was a simple clamp that bolted to the bottom. It clamps down the lip on the bottom of the battery. I have a carquest cheapy cause I run an oddessey battery. Though when I had a full size battery I managed to get the cheap j hook type hold downs to work by catching them under the tray.
    As for tranny I run ATF. Yes they get warm and you have a metal knob so heat transfer. As for the floors gettign hot the factory put this thick rubber mat stuff in the tunnel after time it tends to fall off. It keep the floors from doing that.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    and thanks for the heads up!
    does the tranny have something like this? im doing that fluid next. i feel its warmth after like 15min of driving

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    friction modifier??

Originally posted by e46s54dr View Post
    just quickly googled this cause i never heard of it and I thought u were pullin my leg but some ppl were saying its good for lsd's

they also stated some fluids contain that stuff already. Im not sure about redline. I got them tho cause theyre race proven though. So with that said, does redline already have its own friction modifiers or should I call redline and ask what they suggest i add?

what happens if u dont run this stuff. im not sure if the previous owners had a clue, or is that something mechanics know to add to a s3.73 when they see one

Leave a comment:

• e46s54dr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Rainy Day Update

so i went out today and did some sliding around in the rain..since it was raining i was reminded of my leaky sunroof. the car sat outside a friends house before driving and water collected under the sunroof i guess. As soon as i stopped at the stop sign on my way out it all trickled down to my lap. so i need to replace the seal!

I also need a tune up. The last thing I need is my DD to conk out on me cause I keep driving it this way. (the, teaching yourself to drift way)

I dont know shit about motors so this is where im treading lightly. Im thinking i need a tune up cause the motor sounds loud. a little squeaky. maybe its the alternator. maybe its just a m20. id like to KNOW its all good. ya know
    Either way my next immediate focus is under the hood!

meanwhile i did a little diff fluid change.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	diff open.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	7135298

Name:	diff pump.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	7135297

Another note: my transmission gets very warm under NORMAL driving conditions. like my knob gets warm and the carpet all around there. im not sure if its just mine but im putting in redline in a coupe weeks..if that will help with temps, im skeptical..buuuut i like knowing exactly whats in my car. peace of mind goes a long way

ALSO!!!! WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO HOLD DOWN THE BATTERY IN THE BACK?

my car came with nothing and i think im hearing the battery in the trunk.lol
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-08-2011, 12:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    yea im just gonna delete the fan and clutch.

spal electric will be mounted instead..eventually. since fall is coming im not too worried about overheating

Leave a comment:

• mikeedler
    replied
    nice to see your teaching yourself.

looks like a nice enough car with some nice upgrades too.
    I would recommend replacing the clutch for the fan if the motor is only getting hot when the car is driving under 15mph.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    ooh snap
    rev just upgraded me to a wrencher.lol

btw..should i tint the windows or leave em. Im leaning towards tints.

In my previous car I was never pulled over. they were 25% tints and i think drew less attention if that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    My Car Now..just jumping ahead real quick

i went ahead and removed all the sound deadening out of the trunk. All I needed was a heat gun, a couple flatheads and a six pack of flying dog!
    I then put it all in a trash bag, stepped on a scale and then dropped the bag out of my hands. That useless shit relieved my e30 of 55lbs! and that weight sits over the rear tires. That little bit does a lot it terms of inertia..at least i think so

Name:	trunk gutted.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	7135184
    my friends think im crazy for what i did to the front plate, but the full plate made me cringe every time i looked at the front of the car. I hated the way it covered up the air ducts on the valance. lol now it looks proper

Name:	august 28 cleaned.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	7135185
    Another cool thing; My neighbor is into cars also so were always helpin eachother out. He just got a nardi wheel in his new car so he gave me his black one for $40. I think its the same size as the grey momo but since its a competition wheel its thicker. Feels solid. and it actually matches..looks so good with the horn on the black wheel instead of the grey wheel

Name:	momo competition wheel.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	7135186
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-06-2011, 11:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    suspension fix

first junk yard i ever went to

Name:	first junk yard.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	7135183

here is the trailing arm out and the junk one almost ready to go in
    At this point I was so sick of not being able to drive my car I forced myself to figure out how to fix it.lol At first I thought I was in over my head and spent 5 days just looking at it and ordering some replacement parts. Finally I made myself figure it out

Name:	axel out of car.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	7135180

Name:	RTA pieces.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7135181

At this time I also ordered the KAmotors intake kit. It gives a cool sound and looks cool. performance gain, i doubt. There is a reason why i bought this one though. I always see ppl with intake kits but all they do is put in a open style filter and think theyre cool.

I didnt see the point in using that kind of air filter which is just sucking up hot engine bay air. Ppl rarely finish the mod and enclose that shit, probably out of it being a pain to fabricate...so I felt this canister design was a good middle ground. Its similar to the stock one in that the filters are both enclosed & have breather tubes leading to cooler air behind the highbeam. Carbon fiber was also a minor selling factor.haha

Name:	KA intake.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	7135182
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-06-2011, 11:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Coolant / Suspension fixes!

Before I realized my aux fan wasnt cutting on I went ahead and bought a coolant temp sensor and a tstat. The wires for the aux fan sensor were also ripped. I plucked a different set from the junk yard instead! its from a e36 i think

Name:	tstat, temp senspr goodies.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	7135176

old tstat..not looking to great

Name:	t-stat OLD.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	7135385

At the same time my car was overheating (this is mid june now), my rear suspension was making a god awful noise. Since I had just replaced it (1st timer) i knew i did something wrong. Turns out the rear strut mount looked like this:

Name:	shock mount blown.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	7135177

Now hold on...i can explain. When taking apart the suspension there was only 1 washer at the top of the rear strut mounts. The lower washer wasnt there when I took it apart so I figured it was okay to be put back together that way. WROOONG. so i had to buy new rear shock mounts twice in a month.

Theen, this is where it gets good....
    While putting my rear shock back in I had trouble getting the left bolt to go in straight. Thinking something just got in there I continued forcing the bolt in until it snapped inside of the rta. btw.. the bolt was about 85% in
    I cursed up a storm!

Name:	snapped bolt.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	7135178
    Im new to my own car work so I had no clue where to even start on how to remove the bolt. And it was pretty much alll the way in. I started looking up techniques on youtube and educated myself again. gotta love the web.
    My car was out of commission for about 4 weeks. . . . . . . . . . . .. . .
    In that time i learned what a bolt extractor was and what they SHOULD NOT DO.....

Name:	snapped bolt extractor.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	7135179

So now I had in my garage a snapped bolt extractor, in a snapped bolt, dug about an inch and a half inside the rta. I went to the junk yard and just found a new RTA after realizing there was nothing else to do

Now I needed to get a new wheel bearing and bushings for the junk yard trailing arm. This problem just spiraled into a mess. After Leaving it on stands too long and not supporting the axel, the outter cv boot ripped on me. So I had to slip off the inner boot and slide the outter boot on and that was a pain in the ass! Not as much of a pain the bushings caused me though. After hopeless attempts with a hammer I went to lowes and bought a torch. It took all of 5min burning them out. Putting the bushings in took about 2 days of trial and error.
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
    I hear early motronic is really sensitive to different thermostats.
    Try swapping the temp switch for the fan to a lower temp.

Make sure you bleed the coolant with the front of the engine inclined and at both high and low rpms.
    word..ill do the inclined trick next time...but by temp switch u mean the 3prong aux fan one right? thats what i was thinking about doing.

e30's cut on @ 90/98 maybe its 91/99 ive heard both
    &
    e36 cut on @ 80/88/ have i got this about right?

and to my main man chris!
    what up bruh..i think my fan clutch is bad. Ive been looking at replacing it but i havnt worked in a while so im saving up for the spal fan. I wanna do it right once!

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    and im sry ive replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor about a month and a half ago. I was still getting overheating problems, with a tstat meant for my car. cause i hear it runs warmer than other bmw motors.

I was only getting overheating when sitting at a drive through or traffic also. So I finally put in my aux fan resistor and that seemed to stop the overheating problem..only problem is now my fan is aalllways on low. i need to get a new switch for the aux fan

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by KirkerBezerker View Post
    Can I get a part number for this guy? Or what is it called?
    bavauto has it.. pulse absorber i believe its called.. a fucking $60 piece. After I bought it I kept hearing from ppl. "Oh i just got rid of it." lol to late for me

Leave a comment:

• Vtec?lol
    replied
    I hear early motronic is really sensitive to different thermostats.
    Try swapping the temp switch for the fan to a lower temp.

Make sure you bleed the coolant with the front of the engine inclined and at both high and low rpms.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X