Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malik's 87 325is build (DAILY DRIFT E30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more pics

directions that only did me little good..btw i got these first week of may so about a month into having the car.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	random directions.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	7135123

Name:	rear sway links.jpg
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	7135127
    I actually meet the guy welding these on a random back road by my house. He has an e30 and we meet at a red light. He pulled over and flagged me down and then gave me his card. turned out he was a mechanic and a really nice neighbor. Hes been helping me here and there when hes not busy with family. im very grateful for the help

Name:	getting WELDED!.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	7135124

After the rust got sanded off I painted the area with protective stuff i bought at autozone. Maybe I could have used something else but i needed this stuff for the underbody anyway..plus the rear tires might kick up some nasty debris

Name:	Paint.jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	7135125

Name:	welds painted.jpg
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	7135126
    it looks better now but i havnt taken any better pics..whatever
    m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
    build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

another pic of the welding i found.lol i dont know what else to do with it so im posting it

Name:	welding 2.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	7135391
      OH! btw this pic reminded me of how nervous i was when he did this. do many ppl out there jack up their e30's by the bumper??

heres another pic of the problems the rear sway gave me. The bushings were so thick it refused to bolt up to the frame. I had to get my dads hand held sander and some vice grips to hole the rubber and sanded away. heres the difference. those damn things took me about 45min to get it to finally clamp down.

Name:	sway bushing sanded.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	7135419

Originally posted by Bimmerista View Post
      They're crappy eBay specials.
      I think they might be..they came on the car. he also gave me the stocks thank goodness
      Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-13-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

are those TRMs?

Comment

Next Steps...were at mid may(ish) now

After getting my sways my car still had lots of body flex...I dont have any front or rear "stress" bars but i figured there was still something else i could do until I bought those.

So I got the race skids cross brace. No e30 i had seen or rode in had one yet so I wanted to give it a try. It came in a big ass box and half the hardware missing. Thanks bavauto. I called em and they sent a whole new hardware set though!

heres the car with no cross brace. ill have to take a pic of the cross brace on there tomorrow

Name:	no cross brace underbody.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	7135129

Name:	Race skids cross brace.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	7135130

Its weird though cause now I have a problem where my front sway bar rubs on my cross brace pretty hard..i need to go to home depot and find another washer to gap it out i think. It already sits pretty low under the steering rack already 2
          smh
          Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuMa View Post
            are those TRMs?
            are u referring to the tail lights or the wheels..actually i think u mean the wheels. yea theyre the tire rack ones. super light. 15x7's unfortunately. 15x8 would be lovely. But hey i got em with the trade!

Comment

After I had my car for a little while, and let me remind you...this is the first rwd car ive owned so it took me till about june to get used to its habits in my back roads. I know them very well and at 2amish im the only one back there so i can drive fairly spirited.
              but it is the best handling car ive owned. she feels glued to the pavement.

I do have a problem with the car overheating though. driving back and forth to work and getting caught in DC rush hour has brought out signs of overheating. When the car sits for to long in the june/july heat we had it was creeping to 3/4 too quickly.

This became my next main focus immediately. You never know what problems youre getting from somebody when u buy a car from em!

Comment

whats up dude. check to see if your crank fan clutch has gone bad. if it has it makes the fan almost useless. or delete it cause it can add drag on the motor, not much and go to an electric fan. are you still running a/c?

Comment

Originally posted by ROLLingKING View Post
                  [ATTACH]45694[/ATTACH]

Can I get a part number for this guy? Or what is it called?

Comment

Lookin great so far. I'd change your thermostat and maybe your fan clutch .
                    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

I hear early motronic is really sensitive to different thermostats.
                      Try swapping the temp switch for the fan to a lower temp.

Make sure you bleed the coolant with the front of the engine inclined and at both high and low rpms.

Comment

Originally posted by KirkerBezerker View Post
                        Can I get a part number for this guy? Or what is it called?
                        bavauto has it.. pulse absorber i believe its called.. a fucking $60 piece. After I bought it I kept hearing from ppl. "Oh i just got rid of it." lol to late for me

Comment

and im sry ive replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor about a month and a half ago. I was still getting overheating problems, with a tstat meant for my car. cause i hear it runs warmer than other bmw motors.

I was only getting overheating when sitting at a drive through or traffic also. So I finally put in my aux fan resistor and that seemed to stop the overheating problem..only problem is now my fan is aalllways on low. i need to get a new switch for the aux fan

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                            I hear early motronic is really sensitive to different thermostats.
                            Try swapping the temp switch for the fan to a lower temp.

Make sure you bleed the coolant with the front of the engine inclined and at both high and low rpms.
                            word..ill do the inclined trick next time...but by temp switch u mean the 3prong aux fan one right? thats what i was thinking about doing.

e30's cut on @ 90/98 maybe its 91/99 ive heard both
                            &
                            e36 cut on @ 80/88/ have i got this about right?

and to my main man chris!
                            what up bruh..i think my fan clutch is bad. Ive been looking at replacing it but i havnt worked in a while so im saving up for the spal fan. I wanna do it right once!

Comment

Coolant / Suspension fixes!

Before I realized my aux fan wasnt cutting on I went ahead and bought a coolant temp sensor and a tstat. The wires for the aux fan sensor were also ripped. I plucked a different set from the junk yard instead! its from a e36 i think

Name:	tstat, temp senspr goodies.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	7135176

old tstat..not looking to great

Name:	t-stat OLD.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	7135385

At the same time my car was overheating (this is mid june now), my rear suspension was making a god awful noise. Since I had just replaced it (1st timer) i knew i did something wrong. Turns out the rear strut mount looked like this:

Name:	shock mount blown.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	7135177

Now hold on...i can explain. When taking apart the suspension there was only 1 washer at the top of the rear strut mounts. The lower washer wasnt there when I took it apart so I figured it was okay to be put back together that way. WROOONG. so i had to buy new rear shock mounts twice in a month.

Theen, this is where it gets good....
                              While putting my rear shock back in I had trouble getting the left bolt to go in straight. Thinking something just got in there I continued forcing the bolt in until it snapped inside of the rta. btw.. the bolt was about 85% in
                              I cursed up a storm!

Name:	snapped bolt.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	7135178
                              Im new to my own car work so I had no clue where to even start on how to remove the bolt. And it was pretty much alll the way in. I started looking up techniques on youtube and educated myself again. gotta love the web.
                              My car was out of commission for about 4 weeks. . . . . . . . . . . .. . .
                              In that time i learned what a bolt extractor was and what they SHOULD NOT DO.....

Name:	snapped bolt extractor.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	7135179

So now I had in my garage a snapped bolt extractor, in a snapped bolt, dug about an inch and a half inside the rta. I went to the junk yard and just found a new RTA after realizing there was nothing else to do

Now I needed to get a new wheel bearing and bushings for the junk yard trailing arm. This problem just spiraled into a mess. After Leaving it on stands too long and not supporting the axel, the outter cv boot ripped on me. So I had to slip off the inner boot and slide the outter boot on and that was a pain in the ass! Not as much of a pain the bushings caused me though. After hopeless attempts with a hammer I went to lowes and bought a torch. It took all of 5min burning them out. Putting the bushings in took about 2 days of trial and error.
                              Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM.

Comment

suspension fix

first junk yard i ever went to

Name:	first junk yard.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	7135183

here is the trailing arm out and the junk one almost ready to go in
                                At this point I was so sick of not being able to drive my car I forced myself to figure out how to fix it.lol At first I thought I was in over my head and spent 5 days just looking at it and ordering some replacement parts. Finally I made myself figure it out

Name:	axel out of car.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	7135180

Name:	RTA pieces.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7135181

At this time I also ordered the KAmotors intake kit. It gives a cool sound and looks cool. performance gain, i doubt. There is a reason why i bought this one though. I always see ppl with intake kits but all they do is put in a open style filter and think theyre cool.

I didnt see the point in using that kind of air filter which is just sucking up hot engine bay air. Ppl rarely finish the mod and enclose that shit, probably out of it being a pain to fabricate...so I felt this canister design was a good middle ground. Its similar to the stock one in that the filters are both enclosed & have breather tubes leading to cooler air behind the highbeam. Carbon fiber was also a minor selling factor.haha

Name:	KA intake.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	7135182
                                Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-06-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X