X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
    sheesh
    Just thankful my parts worked, haha.

Your wiring is awesome. That's my next and last major project, other than trim bits. Therefore I'm taking a lot of inspiration to how organized your setup is (any excuse to use Kapton Tape), will be asking you some questions.

The car is now back home.
    -E30 driveshaft measurement finalized and sent off for shortening/rebuild.
    -Using left over titanium tubing for coolant overflow tank and catch can, extra hardware inbound.
    Last edited by AceAndrew777; 02-08-2023, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Something quick.

Another excuse to implement a little astro/aero manufacturing goodness into the car. This is alodine/chemfilm/bonderite, it's a chemical conversion process used when the aluminum/titanium piece is too big to be anodized or has clearance tolerances tighter than what can be done through anodizing.

Not typically used on castings, but I had two hours this weekend and wanted to give it a go. Leaves a neat slightly-iridescent gold finish (unless you leave it in the bath too long, then it's a pasty dark yellow). Not the strongest corrosion resistance, but far better than nothing.

Surface prep is key, anything but a water break free finish will result in blotches.

Also, this stuff is toxic and not to be taken lightly. Handle with care and have proper storage planned ahead of time.

EDIT: Thank you to Shant/Bimmerheads for the chopped 200 head so I could use it for mocking things up.

IMG-3760 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

IMG-3761 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

IMG-3763 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

IMG-3767 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

IMG-3765 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Comment

reminds me of M12 cylinder heads.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          reminds me of M12 cylinder heads.
          You know, I've wondered that as well. Would be interesting to know for sure.

In the interest of another little father/son(s) project, I had my older two boys help design/make a little mounting bracket for the Vibrant vacuum manifold. Straight forward project, so perfect learning opportunity for them. Used the alodine again. Here you can see the difference in finish on a cast vs/ machined surface.

IMG-3797 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

IMG-3798 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

IMG-3804 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

IMG-3808 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Comment

Manifold now plumbed.

IMG-3825 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Finished adapting the Lokar throttle cable to the Redline under-carb cam bracket (drilled tapped the bracket, then made a larger cable stop barrel w/ set screw). Test fit on the car, shortened the cable as a result. Surprised at how short it ended up.

IMG_3949 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Next up was getting the wiper assembly together. The wiper motor was torn down and cleaned up, finishing it off with plated hardware and the "oh so OEM correct" blue tape. Found these cool original-style wipers to match.

IMG_3979 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Converted the electrical connection to a deutsch connector.

IMG_3983 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

All in. Bizarrely, early 02's didn't incorporate any sealing around the wiper posts. I went ahead and used some rubber washers to fix that design flaw.

IMG_3984 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Next I knocked out the AN lines for the oil cooler. Yes, the bracket was stripped of it's bright-dip finish and dunked in Alodine to match.

IMG_3987 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Love these low-profile Setrab swivel fittings. Because of them, the lines and cooler can all fit below where the shroud cover will sit.

IMG_3986 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Comment

Looking good as always!
              Steady progress towards getting it back together.

Comment

Did you cut a hole in the inner fender for air flow thru the oil cooler?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                  Did you cut a hole in the inner fender for air flow thru the oil cooler?
                  Yes, here's a shot when I was still in bodywork phase.

IMG_8336 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Comment

Noice.

Does the back side have a protective screen?

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                      Noice.

Does the back side have a protective screen?
                      Great point, not yet. I intend to make a screen before running it though. Looking around for a simple screen material, if you have any suggestions I'd be all ears.

Vapor blasted some parts yesterday (was able to use one from a local shop, very grateful), going to try and have a friend use clear cerakote over top.

Comment

Our wire mesh is woven from stainless steel wire. You can cut it with tin snips and shape it as you would sheet metal. Use it to protect radiators and oil coolers against small rocks and other debris.

I know you can get Black aluminum mesh off amazon. Slats would be nice to keep water out.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Dang wanted to go back thru this (again) - are the older pics lost forever?

Comment

Originally posted by MasukBMW View Post
                            Dang wanted to go back thru this (again) - are the older pics lost forever?
                            Working on more updates right now,
                            -shifter platform and lever.
                            -redoing seats w/ new leather weave.
                            -electrical (PDM?).

A lot of the older ones are lost, thanks to the photobucket fiasco. However, I did reupload a bunch of them to flickr....

Comment

Working...
                            X