No announcement yet.

M20B29 w/ Triple Webers into my '71 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been really busy with life the past few months. In the middle of an internship that may be a career move, building satellites! Have some very patient people waiting on me to finish a few projects. wafflesNew parts are in production.

Hood Latch rod restoration finished. I found stainless split pins from McMaster that were a nice alternative to the factory pins. McMaster #91610A510.

Funny little thing I never knew were the differences in the cable mount. There is an early and late style. Early style has a normal bolt with a folded-over retainer. Late style used a bolt with a round head with a chunk missing.

Early:

Late:

Roll Pins

All together. I know the bar is "correct" in blue zinc with nickel-plated ends, but the yellow-zinc is oh so nice.

Wiper Arms:

The wiper arms were polished to a satin finish and then clear coated. The threaded ends checked out great (thankfully). Fresh plated hardware (though the nuts need chroming), fresh nozzles, and fresh wipers rounded things out. I am rebuilding the wiper motor right now.

Fuel Tank:
    Restored the factory fuel tank. It was in great shape thankfully. Started by cleaning the inside thoroughly, great news that no coatings were needed.

Next was stripping off all the old paint.

Painted the bottom portion with a brush and the heavy-duty epoxy primer (as used on the undercarriage).

Shot the top of the tank with the same stuff, just in a paint gun.

Then sprayed the bottom with Wurth Schutz. New drain plug (M10x1.0) hardware from Belmetric (#DP10X1.0AHYLW)

The top was painted satin black, and one more thing done!

"STEALTH FUEL PUMP RECIPE:
    Parts:
    -Late E30 325i Carrier and fuel-level sender
    -Early E30 (or similar) low-pressure pre-pump

Since I'm going carbs, this setup is also compatible with a standard carb'd M10. I've seen a number of variances surrounding this setup but this one is ideal for this car. No external fuel pumps, no drilling/mounting,OEM parts, not too shabby. In addition, the early 12 gallon tank is roughly 8" deep, this pump (with filter) ends up right there at 8". No cutting and lengthening needed (and the fuel sender will still read accurately).

This same setup (with a return nozzle (early E30 carrier) and a high-pressure pump) is the one "6goesinto2" brings up and is pretty common for 318i-injection-swappers as well.

The low-pressure pump options:
    1) "E21/E30 low-pressure in tank pump" aka the Vega pump for E28 guys. There are a lot of part numbers, including... Airtex #E8187H and Spectra #SP1159. This pump is rated for 3.5-6psi roughly, so it's plenty for a carbed car.

2) The dark horse, from Volvo. This one also has a lot of part numbers, but #23430100 works. It's claimed to have the same pump rating, but I still need to verify. It fits the E30 carrier much better than the other pump, but that's splitting hairs. Terminal wires need to be changed to match the pump.

And there we have it, a stealth electric fuel pump! Thank you to those on the BMW2002FAQ who have brought up this setup in the past.

Radiator (FINAL DESIGN):

So finally the radiator specs were finalized and I called Patrick up at Midnight Motorsports for help. He said to send over the (US-made) core and he'd tack on the end-tanks and pipes. He'd then send it down for me to test fit, and then I'd send it back up to him to finish it up. It's great to have something Patrick's made on the car, he's been one of my favorite 02 people since forever. His gratuitous speed holes on the radiator top were icing on the cake.

FYI: He's made a template of this radiator, so it is possible to make more of this design if someone wishes.

Here's the test fit.

Last edited by SkiFree; 08-03-2019, 03:37 PM.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Happy, happy, happy days. The car is back from Roy's body shop. He and his guys did an absolutely amazing job. The Taiga color turned out better than I could have hoped. The car was kept as back up, so when the guys didn't have an insurance-related paint job, they'd work on the 2002. They kind of adopted the car and put a ridiculous amount of hours into block sanding over the past months.

A big pet peeve of mine on 2002 restorations is the sheet metal around the rear fender. Even when new this area would be slightly bowed/squished and you could see it in reflections (this effect was exacerbated when the car was involved in a rear end collision). The guys did a great job in massaging the metal around this area, resulting in a better-than-new uniform surface around the area.

At the end of the day we used PPG solvent-based paint and five coats of clear. A little orange peel was purposefully left so that after the car is assembled I can go back and polish it to a mirror finish without worrying about assembly-related scratches.

AdamsAutoSport_DianaV2_Paint1 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

AdamsAutoSport_DianaV2_Paint3 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

AdamsAutoSport_DianaV2_Paint2 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Jesus man I am speechless. That looks juicy enough to eat!! Nicely done. That color really pops Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

Unreal...
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Whoa!
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Now, THAT is a fantastic color. PPG 3000 clear by chance?
              I recall how utterly happy I was reinstalling trim and lights and seals...

Comment

Stunning colour, that's going to look unbelievable once done
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Thanks fellas.... it is weird now. Working on the car and not getting covered in paint or grease is a weirdly pleasant feeling! Yes, on the ppg 3000 clear. I'm not a paint guy, but the painters said they'd use it on their own cars, so that worked for me. Headliner happening this week.
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Is the car back in the South Bay at your work? LMK if you ever need a spare set of hands to help out. If I’m free, I’m there
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Very nice! SO green. I helped put an engine in a '59 356 recently and that feeling of working on a clean clean car is amazing.

What did you clean the inside of the tank with? And had it been sitting a long time with any fuel in it?

Comment

I used a bit of acetone and some nuts/bolts. It had gas for about a year, but then emptied and kept in a very dry spot (with a couple of those moisture absorbent baggies). I am fortunate it did not need any sealant. School is kicking my butt, have helped the upholstery guy with the headliner a bit and have started to implement a long-thought-about fun plan for the trunk.

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Absolutely stunning. Keep it up!

Comment

Thank you!~it's a blast.

Interior/Upholstery:

The trunk is nearly done!

The concept I've been bouncing around for a while was to create a quasi "up-rated" 2002 trunk that would have been in the same vein as the Diana's were. I wanted to be careful though, as some "finished" trunks I've seen are a bit overdone to the point of appearing "new". This meant retaining elephant skin but covering a bit more of the exposed body color, akin to how the E9 Coupe trunk looks.

After the car was transported from the paint shop to CoupeKing, Benji (in-house upholsterer) started going it. He was the wizard that made the dream a reality, cannot say enough good things about him and his work. He made an angled back panel and sowed in cups for the shock towers. Also covered were the recessed areas in the out rocker areas. The finished product speaks for itself!

Last addition was the trunk mat Esty made back when she made the carpet. It's been in storage for a few years, so needs a little time to flatten out. The material is extremely difficult to photograph accurately, so I'm sorry for the color discrepancies.

IMG_0237 2 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

IMG_0241 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

IMG_0244 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Looks like your on the home stretch man. Paint looks amazing.
                              sigpic
                              "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

soooo. is this done yet?
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X