Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Polly, the m30b35 swapped Ratrod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F34R
    replied
    You hit it on the head, you can see how I reclined them enough to support your legs and back. I don't slide around at all, drove 6 hours on Sunday and never once did my back hurt. I am very tall so this is always an issue with my lower/mid.

I am thinking of keeping these as a daily and finding red headrests to put on. All I have to do it weld plates from the side brackets to the back and weld on the e30 comfort seat metal sides that house the headrest sliders. I have some work to do on them yet. My only issue is clearance from the cage brace bar that connects the B-pillar sides to one another. I was thinking a Nascar style bend or something.

I have a MOMO Corse fixed back for track and SCCA.

Leave a comment:

• mbonanni
    replied
    I am sure you could fab something up front the back of the seat (fiberglass) that sticks up and holds the headrests in a fixed position...

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied
    Originally posted by F34R View Post
    These are safer than stock seats IMO.
    except for that whole headrest part

Leave a comment:

• MattAvino
    replied
    Those seats must feel awesome. It It like your ass Is firmly sunken into a perfectly shaped bowl? Maybe its not that deep.

Leave a comment:

• F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
    I might try and find myself some black or grey ones to put in my car.

F34R, can you go more into detail on how you mounted them? Any pictures of the setup?
    Also, are they too tall to put headrests?
    The e24 seat is fiberglass, so I could only weld on the front mounting tabs. I took the e30 slider and mocked up the seat and found where to set the cross members at. Tack weld then flip over the seat and weld them solid.

I then bent up side brackets to support them, 5/16 heavy duty wall hanging screws. When you tighten them they pull a bent sleeve of metal tight on the inside. One will hold 85lbs, so I did 3 on one side and two on the other. The seat is 1/4" thick FGlass. Tightened down and bolted in the car. Before installing in my e30 I sat in it and jumped up and down to see if I could break it, I am 235lbs...it did not even creak or loosen up the bolts.

Unlike the sports seat or comfort seats these are fixed backs and deep. You DO NOT move an inch in them. The brackets are bent in a fashion to be more ridged. They don't rock from side to side or move around in any way. These are safer than stock seats IMO.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
    seats without headrests and double posted speedlimits.

rad bro, like, totally rad.
    Does it pass tech inspections at "the track"???
    These are the ONLY seats I have, I was trying to make Bimmerfest. They are temps, so I made due.
    I am not worried, Recaro seats are on the list for future parts.

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
    I like it:)
    Thanks!

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
    This thing must handle amazing with everything you'e done.
    I might have missed it but with the brake setup between the booster delete kit, master cyl, UUC stuff, and all... how does it feel? I'd like to get some good commentary on it. Daily drivability, performance, emergency and threshold braking, modulation...
    You feel one with the brakes, best way I can explain it. The harder you press in the more bite you get with the calipers. I had a guy cut me off in a SUV Saturday, it was SO DAMN close to hitting me. Those 4 piston calipers bite like an angry dog, car does not have ABS also. So I have to make sure I don't lock up and slide. They are night and day over stock.

I need to try a different MC, using a e34 530 right now. Other than that is feels perfect. I need to talk to Lee and see what he thinks would be best.

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    Those should be mounted from the bottom. the large flat plate on the shockmount takes spreads the load from the shock compression forces. Your setup will be stronger with the strut brace on top and the shock mount on the bottom with the sheetmetal sandwiched in-between.
    Brace is long gone and sold. I bought the GC mounts after I built the brace, figured sandwiching it on top would not harm anything. Worked perfect though! Now I have them mounted correctly and in the middle of researching tubing for my cage. I sold the brace and bought a tubing bender, so I will weld in my own.

What is the reason for doing E28 camber plates?
    Jay@GC said it is better than the e30 ones because of how much more adjustment it has or something? Most people don't want to cut everything up. I told him what I was looking for and he asked if I don't mind cutting up my tower tops. I said nope, he sent me those.

The E24 rear seats look cool, nice idea!
    Thanks, they are so supportive and comfy and CHEAP! I have owned many e24s and ALWAYS wanted to have the rear seats in my e30. They will not work in the back...so that is where they ended up haha. They remind me of old aircraft seats.

My sedan is 2630 with a euro S50B30, E30 M3 suspension and big 18x9.5 wheels. How do you plan on getting down to 2100?
    I still have: heater core, door cards, window motors, dash, race wheels(my 17x10 are 18.5lbs each) and replace the hood, trunk and roof with carbon fiber. There is a guy already making a CF roof on here. I have always wanted to do it since I saw the M3 with it. I know 2,100 is wishing for the moon...but I am under 2,400 already. I want to get as close as I can to make up for a cage. If I am under 2,450 with my full cage I will be happy. Time will tell, I will put it on the scale again to prove it like I did above(post #135)

Originally posted by silence View Post
    Just saw this, cool build.
    I LOVE those mounts and PS delete, you sir make well priced performance parts.

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
    Ill attest to the comfort of the seats. Great hold in there too. Didn't move my ass once when i was taken out in it....cant say that much for my stock suspension and comfort seats!
    You snagged those e21 Recaros at under 30 each so you shush! And this guy can vouch for the speeds we hit those corners at, he was with me doing over 100 Sunday when he came to hangout.
    Last edited by F34R; 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mbonanni
    replied
    I might try and find myself some black or grey ones to put in my car.

F34R, can you go more into detail on how you mounted them? Any pictures of the setup?
    Also, are they too tall to put headrests?

Leave a comment:

• Swanny
    replied
    Ill attest to the comfort of the seats. Great hold in there too. Didn't move my ass once when i was taken out in it....cant say that much for my stock suspension and comfort seats!

Leave a comment:

• silence
    replied
    Just saw this, cool build.

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied
    Originally posted by F34R View Post
    Now if anyone that owns these will notice the bolts come from the bottom up. Reason for that is I have the brace on top that supports the GC mount. I so SUPER pleased with the finished install.

Those should be mounted from the bottom. the large flat plate on the shockmount takes spreads the load from the shock compression forces. Your setup will be stronger with the strut brace on top and the shock mount on the bottom with the sheetmetal sandwiched in-between.

What is the reason for doing E28 camber plates?

The E24 rear seats look cool, nice idea!

My sedan is 2630 with a euro S50B30, E30 M3 suspension and big 18x9.5 wheels. How do you plan on getting down to 2100?

Leave a comment:

• VinniE30
    replied
    This thing must handle amazing with everything you'e done.
    I might have missed it but with the brake setup between the booster delete kit, master cyl, UUC stuff, and all... how does it feel? I'd like to get some good commentary on it. Daily drivability, performance, emergency and threshold braking, modulation...

Leave a comment:

• kamotors
    replied
    I like it:)

Leave a comment:

• mbonanni
    replied
    Originally posted by Jurt View Post
    It looks so awesome, how comfortable are the seats? they look sweet in the car! It looks like such a fun drive!
    This. Those look pretty good in there..

Leave a comment:

• UNHCLL
    replied
    seats without headrests and double posted speedlimits.

rad bro, like, totally rad.
    Does it pass tech inspections at "the track"???

Leave a comment:

• Jurt
    replied
    It looks so awesome, how comfortable are the seats? they look sweet in the car! It looks like such a fun drive!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X