Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the New York rallycross that two day/enduro event? I've been thinking about trying to make it out to that, and its would be great to play with other e30's.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeday View Post
      Is the New York rallycross that two day/enduro event? I've been thinking about trying to make it out to that, and its would be great to play with other e30's.
      Yep, that's the one. I'm looking forward to trying out some new venues at it, though I hear that CNY is not exactly the most efficiently-run events out there (I mean, they still use stopwatches....). But whatever. Nothing else to do that weekend and a win wraps up the NEDiv points series for me, so why not. You should come join and drag Downey with you.....
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

The light you're referencing is the LED bar?
        1990 325is
        m52b28
        3.73lsd
        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
          Yep, that's the one. I'm looking forward to trying out some new venues at it, though I hear that CNY is not exactly the most efficiently-run events out there (I mean, they still use stopwatches....). But whatever. Nothing else to do that weekend and a win wraps up the NEDiv points series for me, so why not. You should come join and drag Downey with you.....
          I'm just in it for funsies so stopwatches wont bother me any :nice:

Do you know if camping there over night is allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
            The light you're referencing is the LED bar?
            no, I'm referencing the DEPO headlights.

The LED bar is bright as hell too, but way illegal. any oncoming car would be completely blinded.
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by mikeday View Post
              I'm just in it for funsies so stopwatches wont bother me any :nice:

Do you know if camping there over night is allowed?
              No idea. I like a good bed and a shower after rallycross, so I didn't look into it :zzz:
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I wish I could just drop in projectors in the E28 :(

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
                2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
                  I wish I could just drop in projectors in the E28 :(
                  I've seen e28s use e30 ellipsoids (which are the same fit as these). Not sure how difficult the conversion is, but I'm sure you can find it on the forums someplace.
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Some updating of minor projects...

First, finished up the rust repair mentioned above....welded up, seam-sealed, and undercoated. Should be good to go..

With the rainy weather, had time to do a little project that I had been thinking about for a while. Using the old chrome trim rings from the OEM headlights, and some galvanized mesh (the stuff you buy a whole roll of for 6 bucks at Home Depot), plus a few rivets, some adhesive, and some paint.

Forgot to take the "construction" pictures, but here are some finished ones. Probably don't need them, but will guard the lights from rocks thrown up on the road and any of the stiff shrubberies we have at the rallycross venue. Got the idea after seeing Eric's e30 headlight shattered at the last event. In any case, it cost almost nothing and can't hurt anything, so why not...

Attached with riveted tabs on the stone guard, which screw into the metal surround ring on the DEPO headlights. Not sure if this would work on OEM lights though.

Also replaced my temporary HVAC/firewall panel - the original was just some cut-up plastic that didn't like to stay up there. So cut out some thin sheet metal, sealed it up, and riveted it in place.

Also the 3.73 LSD has sounded a bit grumbly so I'm thinking it may need some attention. Which is fine since it was just bought for later/spare anyhow. So put the freshly-rebuilt 3.91 LSD back into the car

Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Is that a small case? Any reason you went to small case instead of standard medium?
                      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                        Is that a small case? Any reason you went to small case instead of standard medium?
                        Medium is only standard on M20 cars. All the M10/M42 (4cyl) cars came stock with small case (3.91 on the M10 like mine, 4.10 on the M42 cars).

The one I put back in was my original 3.91 LSD that the car came with, but rebuilt. The main advantage to the small case is that it's 20lbs lighter than the medium case.
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                          The main advantage to the small case is that it's 20lbs lighter than the medium case.
                          However I do know people who've broken smalls with a stock M10...
                          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                            However I do know people who've broken smalls with a stock M10...
                            The nice part about driving on dirt and gravel is that there isn't a lot of stress on the drivetrain since there isn't much tire grip. Jesse Yuvali ran something like a dozen full stage rallies with an M42 and small-case no issues (has since changed to S52 and medium case).

Were this a track car (especially an enduro car), I'd definitely run a medium case for the extra strength and capacity. And really the plan is to use the 3.73 for stage next year anyhow.....it just needs a rebuild first.
                            Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Id say dips and jumps count as drivetrain stress :P But from what ive seen the East coast rally stages seem pretty much like rallycross style on dirt all the time. Instead of the usual mountain roads and forest paths.
                              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                                Id say dips and jumps count as drivetrain stress :P But from what ive seen the East coast rally stages seem pretty much like rallycross style on dirt all the time. Instead of the usual mountain roads and forest paths.
                                I think you'd be surprised, lol. STPR is pretty much all mountain forest roads, and it's rough as hell. Sandblast is deep coastal sand, and is actually brutal on diffs and axles....I haven't been to NEFR but it looks pretty gnarly. None of them remind me of rallycross, lol.

But the only stresses dips and jumps are having on the diff is on the chassis diff mounts, lol. In which case a 20lb lighter diff would actually be less stress on the car, I guess..;D
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X