Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
    I just ordered the $24 basic kit from Donjur with the shake-on applicator. I had already filled some of the cracks with black silicone, but it looks like shit. And since the dash already looks like crap, figured it was a good candidate to use to give the flocking a try, just since I've always wanted to try it and see how it comes out. If it doesn't work, I'm out 25 bucks. I can deal with that :)

Even if it's not awesome like some I've seen, it should be an improvement, at least in terms of glare reduction off the dash (which will be an issue at rallycross events).
    $24 isn't bad! I was considering just wrapping mine if it still looked crap, but 25 is something I could do haha. And yeah, the problem with just filling the cracks in is that the dash kinda splits upward, so you still have lines, even when filled it.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Before I fill mine I'm going to take a knife and chamfer the edges of all the cracks so they don't stick up. Hopefully that will do the trick.
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

carbon dash time ;)

haha just kidding.. but best of luck to yall when filling the cracks in!

Comment

Before I fill mine I'm going to take a knife and chamfer the edges of all the cracks so they don't stick up. Hopefully that will do the trick.
          yeah i was about to say, if you took a knife and like trimmed the edges of the cracks, it should look better when you fill it all in.

Comment

Dang, thats actually a brilliant idea, wish I'd thought about that... Then again, a dash probably isn't my biggest concern in the middle of a swap like this haha. Again, good luck with it all, I love the regular updates :up:

Go here be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by dnick View Post
              yeah i was about to say, if you took a knife and like trimmed the edges of the cracks, it should look better when you fill it all in.
              Dangit nick, tell me this a week ago :hitler:

Go here be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
                Dangit nick, tell me this a week ago :hitler:
                not too late to do so ;)
                just bring the dash home with you, and bring it in your room! so when your bored and cant work on the car.. you can work on the dash!

Comment

Was at the office for 14 hours today unexpectedly, so I don't have much energy tonight to tackle some projects I wanted to work on, like pulling the dash. Sucks, because it's a rare balmy 60-degree evening here and we're back in the 30s again tomorrow....back to numb fingers....

So just one little one that has the dual purpose of clearing some junk off my workbench and taking care of one cosmetic issue that's been annoying me: the missing trim pieces behind the back door. I've been driving around with them off the car (since one fell off in my driveway), with black duct tape covering the holes. Totally unsat....

Not sure why BMW did it this way, but these trim pieces give the appearance of a vent or something behind the door, and they're attached with these odd-shaped hard rubber nubs with c-clips on them. Don't know why they're not just bolted or riveted to the car since there doesn't seem to be any reason to take them off the car anyhow.

So....no ordering stupid nubs that didn't hold them on well enough before, especially since this car is gonna be taking a pounding. Busted out the gel epoxy, filled up the holes (and the few remaining nubs), and put them back on the car permanently.

Yeah, I know....pretty exciting stuff.

More exciting are parts on the way, perhaps for a weekend project.
                  1. flocking stuff for the dash
                  2. Rally Armor basic mudflaps (SUV size) that will be cut and fitted.

Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

interested to see how this flocking turns out!

Comment

hopefully it will come out looking like the inside of the glovebox (that's flocked, in dark gray like I ordered).
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

nice!

also, sucks being at the office that long :(

Comment

Originally posted by dnick View Post
                          nice!

also, sucks being at the office that long :(
                          truth....unfortunately video teleconferences to Japan mean either being there super-early or super-late....
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

truth....unfortunately video teleconferences to Japan mean either being there super-early or super-late....
                            ugh i had to do that a few times at my old job. man that sucked sooooooo much.

Comment

Good work man, will be following as I am in my own e30 rally x car build, the car took first in class this year for stock RWD so there is already potential :)

keep up the work man :thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by PoorBoysRacing View Post
                                Good work man, will be following as I am in my own e30 rally x car build, the car took first in class this year for stock RWD so there is already potential :)

keep up the work man :thumbup:
                                thanks, you have a build thread?

locally (DC region), last year e30s won the stock and prepared RWD classes, but an RX7 won modified. So it's apparently my role to take the modified title for an e30 sweep this year....even though mine is by far the lowest-powered of the e30s, haha. Not bloody likely to happen, but will give it a shot for sure :D
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X