The complete repair, rebuild, repaint, and v8 swap of my early model sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MR 325 View Post
    Don't change the color! Repaint it in the original beige.
    I've had it for over 11 years now. Time for a change. That color is neat in a way, but you can't do much with the car... it doesn't look right with many common wheels (such as the ones I just bought). I put a set of Rota Slipstreams on it, and it looked like ass. The new color is even more unique, AFAIK there is no other e30 in North America painted this color (or anything close, actually).

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
    Take off the fitting and take it to osh/home depot. They will usually have a sizing chart and you can match everything there. Get a 90* and BAM! Problem solved

I need V8.
    Apparently it is a special fitting. The hardware store had to order the 90 from Lincoln.

Today I finished up the rad support. I put new tabs on the top and welded nuts on the back side. AKA, copy Garey

At least the welder cooperated today!

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Nice job, how many bolts you are going to have TOTAL for the rad support installation?
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

^^^ Justin... perfect!

Jean, I used 6 which is what it looks like Justin did, as well... 1 on each side at the frame rail and 2 per side at the top, underneath. All with captive nuts welded on...

Garey

Comment

I have 8 bolts, 2 at each upper point, and also 2 at each frame rail.

How in the HELL did you weld a nut on the inside of the frame rail? I give you credit for that. The bumper shock opening is only like 3" diameter... to get in there and weld takes some skill!

I just jam my fingers in there to hold the nut, thread the bolt in, then I can fit a wrench in there to hold the nut while I tighten the bolt. It's a PITA, but I shouldn't need to do it often.

Comment

I just got tired of jamming my fingers in there, lol! It only took a couple of times and I thought "no more"... It wasn't THAT bad... run the bolt in, thread the nut on and tighten it down and then stick the welder head in there and lay a couple of good, fat beads as far around as you can go... Easy, Peasy, Lemon Squeezy

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
              I just got tired of jamming my fingers in there, lol! It only took a couple of times and I thought "no more"... It wasn't THAT bad... run the bolt in, thread the nut on and tighten it down and then stick the welder head in there and lay a couple of good, fat beads as far around as you can go... Easy, Peasy, Lemon Squeezy

Garey

Maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm willing to bet I'll weld the nut to the bolt, then have no way to remove it. Or better yet, manage to weld the gun to the frame rail, with again, no way to remove it. Lol.

Question - Who TIG'd your rear coolant pipe? I need mine done... No idea who to go to locally.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                Gotcha. I just wasn't sure if it was a special type of fitting with weird threads, since it holds gas. Didn't want to get something that seems to 'fit' but ruins the threads and leaks.
                I would talk to someone at OSH. There are a few different kinds of fittings for gasses and liquids. Just have them point you towards the gas fittings. I went through that with a friend while we were trying to figure out some fittings for a gas system on his beer taps. ;)
                sigpic
                "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                  I would talk to someone at OSH. There are a few different kinds of fittings for gasses and liquids. Just have them point you towards the gas fittings. I went through that with a friend while we were trying to figure out some fittings for a gas system on his beer taps. ;)
                  OSH is only in CA, I'm in PA ;)

I got it figured out though, I had the local hardware store order the fitting from Lincoln. Apparently it's not a very common. I also had them order me one of the new style Lincoln ground clamps, with the copper strap in the teeth. I just have some old one with broken and bent jaws that doesn't have any copper on it, haha.

Comment

I'll bet AirGas has the part you needed... I get all my welding supplies from them... and BTW, didn't you see the new "toy" I bought a few weeks ago, in my build thread? I got it right across the street from where you work, hint, hint... go find it in my thread and that will answer your crossover manifold question...

Very cryptic, indeed, lol...:):):)

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                      I'll bet AirGas has the part you needed... I get all my welding supplies from them... and BTW, didn't you see the new "toy" I bought a few weeks ago, in my build thread? I got it right across the street from where you work, hint, hint... go find it in my thread and that will answer your crossover manifold question...

Very cryptic, indeed, lol...:):):)

Garey
                      LOL! I did see your new tig welder. For some reason I thought you said you had someone else weld yours.

Maybe I can swing by sometime and have you modify mine in a similar way? I'd love to watch and see how tig welding is done.

Comment

I'm watching this thread for when the quarter goes back on, I've got some rust issues on the c pillar and want to see it all go back together.

Comment

I also had them order me one of the new style Lincoln ground clamps, with the copper strap in the teeth.
                          Nice. A good ground clamp is so important. I need a better one. Your welds really are looking good. I cant wait till I can get in my garage and start some welding on the 2002 in April. Man thats a long time from now. Just means more time to get more parts, tools, and supplies.
                          Your car is going to be great!
                          sigpic
                          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                            Nice. A good ground clamp is so important. I need a better one. Your welds really are looking good. I cant wait till I can get in my garage and start some welding on the 2002 in April. Man thats a long time from now. Just means more time to get more parts, tools, and supplies.
                            Your car is going to be great!
                            Thanks! Working on a project car is great, time in the garage away from the rest of the world is priceless. Especially when you're doing metal work that doesn't cost much.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                            I'm watching this thread for when the quarter goes back on, I've got some rust issues on the c pillar and want to see it all go back together.
                            That will happen Sunday the 22nd. A friend is coming over and we'll spend the day welding it back on.

This is my second time around for the 1/4 panel. I got t-boned a few years ago, and bought a new 1/4 panel and outer wheel well from BMW and put them on (was a cheap rush job, hence the proper fix this time around).

Last edited by JGood; 01-11-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Sorry about that...I think my welder might have different fittings :(

Looks good!!

Comment

Maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm willing to bet I'll weld the nut to the bolt, then have no way to remove it. Or better yet, manage to weld the gun to the frame rail, with again, no way to remove it. Lol.
                                Use washers or nuts under the head of the bolt to space it up far enough that the threads don't stick out past the end of the nut you are trying to weld. That way you don't have to worry about welding the suckers together.

I did this on the starter in my old 325es. I got tired of using the 5ft extension to go in through the grill. I did it up on the work bench so it was a little easier than what you are dealing with, but the concept it the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X