• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total weight reduction so far 6.1lbs

143.9lbs to go....

7speedshop.com

Comment

Here's some semi accurate info from when I was removing weight from my car. Might help you decide what to remove.

Trunk tar~55lbs
      Trunk carpet/lining 17lbs
      Rear leather seat top~16.5lbs
      Rear leather seat bottom~13.6lbs
      Both rear door cards~8lbs
      Rear section of carpet~2.6lbs
      Both front door cards~11lbs
      Tweeter pods~.5lbs
      Carpet~35lbs
      Interior tar~11lbs
      Spare tire~33lbs
      Factory jack~5lbs

Comment

The 318 carpets are lighter I believe, while you're there the sound tar below could come out. Or just straight carpet removal. Bare floors don't look ugly imo but door card deletes usually make cars look cheap and sketchy. Lightweight battery, heavy slab thing that sits under the spare tire and extraneous factory exhaust heat shield brackets are the only other easy things I can think of.

I'd like to see if you can find a chunk of weight up front. The rear of these cars don't need to weigh anything but the rear tires need weight on them more than the fronts do.

Comment

If you want to keep carpet but lose weight the early carpets have separate padding. Without the padding it's very light.
          1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
          1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
          bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

There is sound deadening inside the door and 1/4 panel.
            If you are not using ac or power steering you can remove the front accessory pulley and use shorter bolts. If you are
            Not using power steering you can cut the alternator bracket in half and remove the mounting for the p/s

When people do an ac delete they usually forget to take out the condenser inside the dash.

You can remove the large main battery cable that runs the length of the car and mount a lightweight pc 680 in the battery tray of the engine bay.
            This is a double win because you loose the weight of the heavy cable and reduce weight going to a small battery.

You can remove the harmonic balancer if you still have it on. I doubt it thou.

I can't see from the pictures but since you installed a cage you can remove
            The stock rear seat belts since you won't ever use them

-
            Project
            Parts for Sale
            Feedback
            YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
              There is sound deadening inside the door and 1/4 panel.
              If you are not using ac or power steering you can remove the front accessory pulley and use shorter bolts. If you are
              Not using power steering you can cut the alternator bracket in half and remove the mounting for the p/s

When people do an ac delete they usually forget to take out the condenser inside the dash.

You can remove the large main battery cable that runs the length of the car and mount a lightweight pc 680 in the battery tray of the engine bay.
              This is a double win because you loose the weight of the heavy cable and reduce weight going to a small battery.

You can remove the harmonic balancer if you still have it on. I doubt it thou.

I can't see from the pictures but since you installed a cage you can remove
              The stock rear seat belts since you won't ever use them

all the A/C and power steering brackets, pulleys, lines are long gone. car already has trunk tar pulled, no trunk lining, door cards skinned, exhaust heatshields removed, body harness thinned out, rear seat belts removed and few other things. trans tunnel padding removed when engine was out.

I;m trying to lose weight past that point:)

Will def. be doing a lightweight battery though!
              Last edited by kamotors; 07-07-2015, 02:35 PM.

7speedshop.com

Comment

How much does it weigh now?

Comment

Lot of work to make it look clean but you'd cut SO much weight taking out the sunroof. I bet all the mechanical, slide, rails and cassette are easy 75#. I think I weighed it all when I pulled it 2 years ago. I'll see if I can find anything on it.

Other possible areas for weight reduction.
                  • gut your plastic bumpers (probably not a good idea if driven on the road a lot)
                  • look into e30m3 aluminum control arms
                  • like sloan said, cut out your spare tire holder (makes plenty of room for badass diffuser anyways.)
                  • crank windows over power
                  • remove all AC components in dash (not sure if you'd done that yet.)
                  sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

That is a nice chunk. Cable and tray were 10lbs.
                    Also, there a bunch of little brackets and wire snug points that can be cut off once you delete these things.

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                      Lot of work to make it look clean but you'd cut SO much weight taking out the sunroof. I bet all the mechanical, slide, rails and cassette are easy 75#. I think I weighed it all when I pulled it 2 years ago. I'll see if I can find anything on it.

Other possible areas for weight reduction.
                      • gut your plastic bumpers (probably not a good idea if driven on the road a lot)
                      • look into e30m3 aluminum control arms
                      • like sloan said, cut out your spare tire holder (makes plenty of room for badass diffuser anyways.)
                      • crank windows over power
                      • remove all AC components in dash (not sure if you'd done that yet.)

oh forgot to mention, my front bumper is already gutted to skin lol

I will be removing spare tire well and making a fiberglass trunk panel to seal it up., I've got yards of fiberglass and carbon kevlar laying around:)
                      Last edited by kamotors; 07-07-2015, 02:48 PM.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                        oh forgot to mention, my front bumper is already gutted to skin lol

I will be removing spare tire well and making a fiberglass trunk panel to seal it up., I've got yards of fiberglass and carbon kevlar laying around:)

get rid of side mirror motors, power windows(euro base model console looks cleaner), cruise control stuff, maybe lighter front seats?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasonbk View Post
                          get rid of side mirror motors, power windows(euro base model console looks cleaner), cruise control stuff, maybe lighter front seats?
                          oh yeah cruise was deleted a few yrs ago as well. My corbeaus are pretty light compared to stock. Ill gut the mirror out though.
                          Last edited by kamotors; 07-08-2015, 11:40 AM.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Redoing petrolicious shoot today, prewash photo.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

7speedshop.com

Comment

Redoing?
                              sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                                Redoing?
                                Guess they didnt like the location. Did a diy french lense, came out 100x better than vinyl because I was able to add correct amount of orange to the yellow

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                                X