Kamotors E30-Turbo to ITB M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
    Can you add a second VE map to take advantage of everything above 100 kpa (map switching i think they call it)?
    This makes no sense. You wouldn't use one map for 100kpa and below and one for 101kpa and above. You do it all on one map.

The resolution is not really a concern, just adjust the columns properly to cover your expected range. AFRs dont vary that much from cell to cell. The standard VE map size is pretty large for an atmo engine and is that size to cover turbo applications. If you added a lot more resolution its really not going to improve your tune and its just going to be wasting your time!

The timing map is of much more concern even though its usually not talked about as much. People focus on AFR because its easy to measure and quantify. Ignition timing is a much more complex subject, but its still not that hard to grasp.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
      This makes no sense. You wouldn't use one map for 100kpa and below and one for 101kpa and above. You do it all on one map.

The resolution is not really a concern, just adjust the columns properly to cover your expected range. AFRs dont vary that much from cell to cell. The standard VE map size is pretty large for an atmo engine and is that size to cover turbo applications. If you added a lot more resolution its really not going to improve your tune and its just going to be wasting your time!

The timing map is of much more concern even though its usually not talked about as much. People focus on AFR because its easy to measure and quantify. Ignition timing is a much more complex subject, but its still not that hard to grasp.
      The reason I would want two maps is for more RPM spread, like one map to 4000 and the other to 7400rpms. The ignition map is actually easier for me to understand and plays a HUGE roll in driveablitiy in the car and can even change spool up characteristics.

Most people think that rich and retarded promote quicker spool becuase thats how it works on like 2 step, But I can 100% confirm that on my car with back to back street dyno on same road and same load, advancing ignition and getting prespool fueling up to around high 13AFR gets me my boost quicker in first gear. I couldnt even get more than 1 psi in first with what most people run for timing in the prespool area. now I get around 6 or 7psi. That might have something to do with my cam setup but timing really helps.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I am still learning, appreciate the tips/corrections gentlemen!

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
          The reason I would want two maps is for more RPM spread, like one map to 4000 and the other to 7400rpms.
          Why do you think you need this? The gaps between the RPM columns do not need to be equal. There is plenty of spaces to accomodate the modest rpm range of an M20! If you look you will see there is not much variation from cell to cell so adding more of them is really not necessary.

Just trying to help save you time and headache!
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

18-19psi dyno, running poo rich still, Getting what I think is spark blow out around 5000rpms, it bogs and pops a flame at WOT, problem is it only happens 50% of the time.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Under boost you should be at lambda .8 (12:1 AFR for petrol). Seems to me you need to ADD fuel.

What AFR are you aiming for?
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Under boost you should be at lambda .8 (12:1 AFR for petrol). Seems to me you need to ADD fuel.

He's running water/meth which I think has something to do with his higher ratio on boost that he chose.
                Last edited by ak-; 04-27-2013, 02:47 PM.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

ignore what tunerstudio reads for AFR, its actually .5AFR richer than what tuner studio reads at all times, Its in the 11's during boost and the pop darts down to 10AFR and cant be tuned out and is random.
                  its an issue with the volage translation of the MTX-l to tuner studio so I always go off of my gauge
                  my AFR is 11.8 usually under boost, not sure what I should aim for with the meth but I keep there to be safe.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Gotcha, I didnt realize it was a virtual dyno chart. Weird the reading is off that much though if its using data from your WB.
                    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

This is one badass ride........
                      sigpicthis how WE roll

Comment

auto-xed all day and car ran great!

7speedshop.com

Comment

auto-x videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxAf2...ature=youtu.be

7speedshop.com

Comment

man I wanna go. is there any in june?

Comment

plenty in june

EDIT: so I made 10th place out of 34 at 49.2 seconds, a GTR got first at 46 seconds.
                              http://www.renoscca.org/results/solo...nd03Class.html
                              Last edited by kamotors; 04-28-2013, 09:23 PM.

7speedshop.com

Comment

22mm IE front sway bar, Super easy install, perfect fit and the car handles like its on rails, wish I had it for auto-x:(

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                                X