Remachining Bottlecaps to look better - Check this out!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AntiScope
    replied
    I fucking hate my B caps. I would gladly partake in getting mine machined down.

    Leave a comment:


  • MattAvino
    replied
    The bottle cap is trying to bring itself up in the world.

    Leave a comment:


  • canakami
    replied
    #BottleCapSwag

    Leave a comment:


  • craiggroves91
    replied
    Holy shit this would be epic!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • knuklehead92
    replied
    Originally posted by mechdonald
    pm'd :p
    pmed in other words im in!

    Leave a comment:


  • dannyyisntt
    replied
    I'd 100% be in for a set of faceplates if you make them and they bolt up to rs barrels/lips

    Leave a comment:


  • mechdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by knuklehead92
    i would honestly buy these. btw i got a set of bss rs for test fitting :)
    pm'd :p

    Leave a comment:


  • e30trooper
    replied
    can dig it

    Leave a comment:


  • knuklehead92
    replied
    i would honestly buy these. btw i got a set of bss rs for test fitting :)

    Leave a comment:


  • mechdonald
    replied
    This is cross-posted (sorry) from the "this is pictures" thread in Off Topic.
    Thought it would be better placed here

    Investigating the possibility of a 3 piece wheel - here is a bottlecap center cut out of a wheel. There isn't much of a flange on the back side. It may be possible. You'll have to use your imagination at the moment to add the lip and barrel.

    Front side with 30 bolts:



    Back side showing ridiculously long bolts. I'm not sure there is room for nuts on this side. It would be fun to try.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingston
    replied
    This is really, really cool guys! I don't run bottlecaps anymore, but if I did, I'd be all over this!!

    Great work!

    Leave a comment:


  • mechdonald
    replied
    [quote=Nsquared97;3147538]Now that is pretty interesting. Any idea on the weight difference with the center machined out like that?
    quote]

    Sorry, I didn't answer your question.
    The weight difference will be negligible. There was very little material taken out of the center - it just cleaned up the look in my opinion. I would say roughly an ounce or less of material removed.

    I didn't want to get into the whole dilemma of weakening the wheel by removing a lot of material - I was just shooting for improving the look and customizing it a bit.

    By customizing, I mean that we are looking at making it easy to add whatever wording you want. So the Miata guys (who apparently use these wheels too) can have something non-BMW inscribed if they wish.

    Leave a comment:


  • mechdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Nsquared97
    Now that is pretty interesting. Any idea on the weight difference with the center machined out like that?

    I am kinda thinking that a polished lip, the center polished or even just left with the machined look, and then the 'bottlecap' itself powdercoated black before the machining was done so that the "BMW ///M Motorsport" would be raw aluminum, would look pretty hot.

    Any idea how much this would cost if you guys were to start making these?
    We're working on some pricing. I'll post something up as soon as we get it sorted out

    Leave a comment:


  • Nsquared97
    replied
    Now that is pretty interesting. Any idea on the weight difference with the center machined out like that?

    I am kinda thinking that a polished lip, the center polished or even just left with the machined look, and then the 'bottlecap' itself powdercoated black before the machining was done so that the "BMW ///M Motorsport" would be raw aluminum, would look pretty hot.

    Any idea how much this would cost if you guys were to start making these?

    Leave a comment:


  • everlast
    replied
    You guys and your crazy wizard speak. ;) I think it looks cool, that's all I know.

    Leave a comment:

Working...