Remachining Bottlecaps to look better - Check this out!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • willworkfore30s
    replied
    its ALGOR.

    I made that assumption based on the stress being doubled. Not sure what aluminum alloy theyre made of, im sure your not certain of it either.

    Unless your assuming that the original wheel was designed to have a FOS of 20 ....then yes, in your case its safe
    I don't use ALGORE. Currently using CREO.

    But what are your boundary conditions and what and where are your forces being applied for the FEA?

    Leave a comment:


  • mechdonald
    replied
    another

    Leave a comment:


  • mechdonald
    replied
    We cut my spare wheel tonight. It took a while to do because we were being very cautious. In retrospect, we should maybe have cut even deeper. It looks better in real life - as most things do

    This exercise did verify that my model is very close to reality. The letters are only cut about .010" deep into the metal.

    Thoughts?

    Leave a comment:


  • samiam3356
    replied
    So you took my advice? Do I get a reach around? :p

    Edit: Nevermind, I thought you were the guy from tech.
    Last edited by samiam3356; 04-19-2012, 05:43 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • mechdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by A_Whelan
    Newfoundland? And the fact that you have A III Whelan on a wheel is crazy, my name is Aaron Whelan and I'm from Newfoundland. And I have no idea who you are. Small world
    lol - I did that to see if you noticed
    I'm from ON but my ancestors are from Miramichi NB - that's my eastern connection. Ever hear of MacDonald's Farm? yup, that's me.

    Leave a comment:


  • eur04lif3
    replied
    Originally posted by doublea
    Lol. hope you're not actually being serious about them being dangerous. 1.5 ksi peak? What were your boundary conditions? And that looks like Mechanica if I'm not mistaken?

    Even with a 50% knockdown for the casting factor on, let's say whatever it is (maybe 6061), you're still looking at a FOS=10...
    its ALGOR.

    I made that assumption based on the stress being doubled. Not sure what aluminum alloy theyre made of, im sure your not certain of it either.

    Unless your assuming that the original wheel was designed to have a FOS of 20 ....then yes, in your case its safe ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • Vivek
    replied
    Originally posted by mechdonald
    What size of wheel is this? And how common are they?
    These look like an even nicer blank canvas to modify.

    [IMG]bigasspic.jpg[/IMG]
    e36 weave it's a 15" but also a 5 lug so kinda pointless on an e30 unfortunately.

    Leave a comment:


  • doublea
    replied
    Originally posted by eur04lif3
    Motorsports FEA
    Lol. hope you're not actually being serious about them being dangerous. 1.5 ksi peak? What were your boundary conditions? And that looks like Mechanica if I'm not mistaken?

    Even with a 50% knockdown for the casting factor on, let's say whatever it is (maybe 6061), you're still looking at a FOS=10...

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt-B
    replied
    Id buy a set in 16 " :)

    Leave a comment:


  • A_Whelan
    replied
    Originally posted by mechdonald
    Here's a different take... just the center hollowed out and some lettering machined in. Obviously you could add whatever text you wanted.


    and for Buddy from NF :)
    Newfoundland? And the fact that you have A III Whelan on a wheel is crazy, my name is Aaron Whelan and I'm from Newfoundland. And I have no idea who you are. Small world

    Leave a comment:


  • eur04lif3
    replied
    Motorsports FEA
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • eur04lif3
    replied
    Motorsport design:
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • eur04lif3
    replied
    Fea

    Disclaimer: I find this design unsafe. The stress is doubled in the new design. New design is unsafe.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • mechdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by camshaftgsxr
    there was a guy that already did this, he cut every other spoke valley down a little further, ill try to find a pic but i remember seeing it almost two years ago

    edit: here

    Yup, that was the exact thread I was referring to from E30tech.com on the first page of this thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • gooseadrian
    replied
    Dude some of these are pretty sick! I would be happy with some 16x8.

    Leave a comment:

Working...