Remachining Bottlecaps to look better - Check this out!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dannyyisntt
    replied
    That would look awesome in 16 inch

    Leave a comment:


  • CHIF8008
    replied
    that looks awesome. more power to you man

    Leave a comment:


  • mechdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoner Sam23
    I like it. Is that solid works?
    I reverse engineered it in Rapidform and then imported into Inventor to make some changes. I then did a simple ray trace - turned out pretty sharp I think :D

    If anyone can do some FEA, I can send the STEP file of the original and the modified wheels. I would be interested to see if the machining makes much of a difference in strength.

    I checked the weight of the modified wheel by saying it was made from 6061 Aluminum. It weighs 14.2lb. Can anyone verify what a real bottlecap weighs.

    Leave a comment:


  • CW325
    replied
    Looking forward to seeing this made :D

    Leave a comment:


  • Stoner Sam23
    replied
    I like it. Is that solid works?

    Leave a comment:


  • Remachining Bottlecaps to look better - Check this out!!

    This was inspired by a thread on that other E30 forum... but I have the tools to actually do this.

    I have a spare 14 inch Bottlecap wheel and a laser scanner at work. I scanned the wheel and reverse engineered it. I then made some changes to the design.

    This is all done by just removing some material from the existing wheel design. I am planning on getting this cut in the near future on a CNC machine when we have an opening.

    Check it out. Let me know what you think.

Working...