Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought My First E30! Any Advice? Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought My First E30! Any Advice? Upgrades?

Hey Everyone!

First off, great community you got here! Well, I just turned 18 and finally decided to take the plunge and by my first car. An e30 was a natural choice, always loved them and it appears they have an amazing following. On a side not insurance for me was half the price of a 06' Civic... and at 18 I'm ready to drop $6k/year (really expensive here in Markham, Ontario).

I bought a 87' Delphin 325i Convertible Automatic w/ Taurusrot* leather seats, and I have to admit, I'm in love :D

There is a squeaking which I suspect is a timing belt so I've decided to change the timing belt and other components which I don't know the history of (don't want to wait and find out).

I'm extremely new to e30s and cars in general but I'm lucky enough to have a full auto shop as my dad restores antique trucks.

Here's a list of some parts I was planning on ordering from Pelican Parts, I really don't know what I'm getting myself into but I don't mind spending some money on the car. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

-Timing Belt, Tensioner, Spring, Guide pin
    -Power Steering Belt
    -Alternator Belt
    -A/C Belt
    -Water Pumper & Gasket (Metal Impeller)
    -Thermostat 80 Degree, Gasket, O-ring
    -Cam Shaft Seal, Cam Flange O-ring
    -Fog Light Lenses

I plan on picking up the standard maintenance parts (Oil Filter, Air Filter etc.) from a local distributor.

I'm really stepping into a new world here and any advice such as important upgrades would mean the world to me. Just one thing, telling me to swap to 5-speed doesn't help much, I live in the country on a farm, but I'm off to university next year where I don't really want to suffer through rush hour in a manual.

Thanks again in advance, seems like you have a great community here!:p

Geoff

(*Thanks Stamar!)
    Last edited by Farintosh; 03-31-2012, 09:21 AM.

Great interior and awesome hard-top. Do the timing belt ASAP if you aren't sure when it has been done last.

Comment

ya its not the first time ive seen an interior that is called cardinal red, but looks exactly like what was once called taurus red in 85 and before cars or taurusrot. According to data there never was a convertible in taurusrot but this is the 2nd one ive seen.

I have no explanation other than some of the cars they called cardinal red are actually using the old color.

I might be crazy but it looks like taurusrot.

hmmm also the interior for the cardinal red cars used a red carpet but that is grey.( edit missed the canada ) both taurusrot cars ive seen had grey interior...

what you have is actually a taurusrot interior. Very rare for a us car. Or let me put it this way

you have a convertible interior in taurusrot which didnt exist in the us.... in a car that orignally had a black interior.

please take a picture of the rear interior area of the car thanks.

on the left is cardinal, the rest is taurus
      Last edited by stamar; 03-30-2012, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Great looking car! Welcome.

Comment

Thanks Everyone!
          Going to order in the timing belt tomorrow, heard you need some fairly obscure tools, like a 32mm bicycle wrench. Any other important items?
          Stamar, thanks for the tidbit. I was told it was cardinal red but it looked a bit off from the other pictures I had seen, personally like the taursrot better :p. Here's the rear interior.

Comment

The first upgrade you could do is probably sell me your front seats hah ;)

Your first order of business is replacing all your wear stuff. When you do the timing belt, change out your water pump too as well as the tensioner. Valve cover gasket, valve adjustment if your ticking. Check for vacuum leaks, check your Idle Control Valve. Clean out your airbox. Replace all 3 of your V-Belts. Check you fan clutch by taking a newspaper to the fan while it's moving; if it stops, replace the fan clutch too; if it keeps going/sends your paper to the land down under, your good. The top thermostat hose is sometimes damaged cause the fan likes to chew through those on the m20. If its rubbed a little too much, change that. Thermostat as well. Coolant flush and oil change would do you good too.

Then, when it comes to upgrades... Drop your first $300 on bushing and mount rebuild kits. Shock mounts, front and read subframe and control arm bushings. Any suspension upgrades you do after that only gets amplified by the fact there's new rubber (or plastic if you go with solid polymer bushings like most recommend) in the stress points

Glad to have another e30 convert to the ranks. So far your doing it right!
            (I'm super jelly at the hardtop)
            Enjoy the new whip!

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post

Your first order of business is replacing all your wear stuff. When you do the timing belt, change out your water pump too as well as the tensioner. Valve cover gasket, valve adjustment if your ticking. Check for vacuum leaks, check your Idle Control Valve. Clean out your airbox. Replace all 3 of your V-Belts. Check you fan clutch by taking a newspaper to the fan while it's moving; if it stops, replace the fan clutch too; if it keeps going/sends your paper to the land down under, your good. The top thermostat hose is sometimes damaged cause the fan likes to chew through those on the m20. If its rubbed a little too much, change that. Thermostat as well. Coolant flush and oil change would do you good too.

Then, when it comes to upgrades... Drop your first $300 on bushing and mount rebuild kits. Shock mounts, front and read subframe and control arm bushings. Any suspension upgrades you do after that only gets amplified by the fact there's new rubber (or plastic if you go with solid polymer bushings like most recommend) in the stress points

Glad to have another e30 convert to the ranks. So far your doing it right!
              (I'm super jelly at the hardtop)
              Enjoy the new whip!
              Thanks for this response, really appreciate it. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Might seem like common sense to some, but for me it's great to have an idea of what to look for while I'm down there.
              I think I'll order in the parts on Monday then tackle through the items you have listed.

Thanks again!

Btw, I love your car :p

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post

Check you fan clutch by taking a newspaper to the fan while it's moving; if it stops, replace the fan clutch too; if it keeps going/sends your paper to the land down under, your good.

Enjoy the new whip!
                Do this once the engine is hot. It won't work with a cold engine. The hydraulic fan clutch is full of silicone that become really thick when hot. This, in turn, couples the shaft to the fan and makes the fan spin.

You may also want to change the front crankshaft seal and also the oil pump gear seal. It's easy to do with the T-belt off.

Nice 'vert! Love that hardtop!

Comment

Originally posted by Farintosh View Post
                  Thanks for this response, really appreciate it. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Might seem like common sense to some, but for me it's great to have an idea of what to look for while I'm down there.
                  I think I'll order in the parts on Monday then tackle through the items you have listed.

Thanks again!

Btw, I love your car :p
                  I forgot to add a couple things. While you doing the valve adjustment and your valve cover is off, pop the injectors out and inspect/give them a clean. (be easy though, you don't want to destroy your pointless caps!). Check for vacuum leaks too (the breather hose that goes from the Throttle body to the valve cover is a problem area sometimes, brake booster lines, etc.). Spark plugs if you need more sparking, distributor lines and cap if you need more distributing. That'll pretty much be the end of your stage zero tune up

Once that's all done, your squared away and good to floor it. Your engine already looks very well maintained, so you might not have to do half the stuff listed. Just do some basic checks and order what you need for the preventative stuff.
                  No prob bud. We've all been there. Just helping out the next guy in line braaah ;)

Haha, thanks. Much work to do, but she'll shine eventually :)
                  Last edited by JinormusJ; 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Sweet, great to know what to look for.
                    The engine seems to be in pretty good shape, previous owner had the car for nearly 20 years, very well maintained so hopefully its not too bad down there.

Can't wait to get at it, already drives amazing compared to any other car I've driven, I can only imagine how it will drive after the stage zero tune up.

Seems like I'm gonna be in for a fairly steep learning curve, but you guys have certainly given me some peace of mind, I've found tons of great guides but it's nice to know what to really look for and what is the most important at this point in time.

...So excited :D

Comment

Yup yup! I can understand being a douche if you don't know anything.. But if you know something and your a douche on purpose to the new guy, that's not cool..

You got a great car.. Original/longest holding owners are always best! They always keep their pride and joy maintained.. :D (I would know muahaha)
                      It'll be a great platform for future swag-mods

Comment

Sounds like I'll tackle the stage zero stuff then move onto suspension and exhaust.

At the moment the catalytic converter sounds like something is rattling around inside it, especially when accelerating. Wondering whether I should just take it off and replace the exhaust with a straight test pipe. Any ideas?

Comment

Ya theres an interior color by year thing that people use that shows what was available by year....
                          there was cherry red, taurus red, and cardinal red.

and the years of taurusrot, and convertibles and m3s are not the same. But Ive now seen a picture of an m3 with taurus rot and a convertible with taursusrot.

Find the thread in general where you type in your vid number and they will tell you your orignal equipment.

Overall one of the rarer sport seat colors which only adds to its value. may very well be a built in 86 thing, or a dealer switch ( the grey carpet is supposed to go to a black interior...)
                          Last edited by stamar; 03-31-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stamar View Post
                            Ya theres an interior color by year thing that people use that shows what was available by year....
                            there was cherry red, taurus red, and cardinal red.

and the years of taurusrot, and convertibles and m3s are not the same. But Ive now seen a picture of an m3 with taurus rot and a convertible with taursusrot.

Find the thread in general where you type in your vid number and they will tell you your orignal equipment.

Overall one of the rarer sport seat colors which only adds to its value. may very well be a built in 86 thing, or a dealer switch ( the grey carpet is supposed to go to a black interior...)
                            Hmm, interesting, didn't know much about the colour when I bough the car other than I liked it :p
                            I quickly found it it was "rare-ish" though from all the pms, been offered M-tech seats and the like.
                            No question in my mind it's here to stay regardless.

Thanks again for you help, really interesting tidbit. I'll look into the vin.

Comment

heres an example of cardinal

edit, the other car Ive seen that had a taurusrot convertible was from ottowa canada. So it stands to reason that taurusrot was available in canada in 1987.

actually reading the small print, it clearly says in 86, that the m3 and cabrio are only available in cardial black and tan....

they were never available in those colors.....? as a matter of fact, it was only available on E cars....except in canada aparently.
                              Last edited by stamar; 04-01-2012, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X