No announcement yet.

My '73 Roundie Revival [BMW 2002]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is shaping up to be quite an awesome build.

Keep it up man!
    '87 325e 2.7i/5spd
    '02 Subaru outback (Still smells like dirty hippie)
    '86 635csi (Sold)
    '87 4KcsQT (Sold)
    '84 318i (Sold)

Comment

Be wary of those ebay steering wheels - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMxB4RpCDzA

Comment

Originally posted by Corey@Track.One View Post
        Be wary of those ebay steering wheels - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMxB4RpCDzA
        haha wow, that's ridiculous. I hope that doesn't happen with my wheel. It'll be quite a while before I can actually put it to the test. I plan on doing only regular street driving with it so hopefully it can withstand that. This car will never see the track so I don't expect it to be mega durable.
        Last edited by CubbyChowder; 06-08-2012, 03:06 PM.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
        --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

wow~~~~!!!!!! sub'ed
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Subscribed, this is making me seach around for a beat to shit 2002

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
            Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Very small update. Went up a few days ago and got a little bit of work done, doing super tedious paint removal stuff.

Mocked up the steering wheel for fun, it's gonna be super sweet:

This is the area that I'm bringing back down to bare metal which is taking FOREVER! All around the front windshield so I can grind away any rust and I'm also doing the whole rain tray area so I can get everything rust free and in primer:

Received a small package from Blunt Tech, new input shaft seal for the tranny (since I broke one the first time around), new center bearing for the driveshaft and new Guibo:

Comment

Nice work done Youre going to love this thing when done Keep it up
                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
                  Nice work done Youre going to love this thing when done Keep it up
                  Thanks, I can't wait!

Got back on it today, more tedious paint/rust removal, but it's all part of the process. My goal today was to get all around the front windshield, rain tray area and upper fender areas down to bare metal, rust free and primered. Got most of it done.

During paint/rust removal:

I mainly use an angle grinder with various attachments and an electric drill with wire brushes, etc. I'm sure there are better tools to use, but this is all I got. Gotta work with it, it actually works quite well, just takes forever:

I eventually got everything down to the bare bone looking like this:

Got the front strut assemblies out:

Also got started on this area, the passenger side upper fender area. Took it all down to bare metal and got rid of any rust. I don't have a picture of when it's all bare metal:

Hit all the bare areas with some self-etching primer so it's all sealed and ready for a top coat when the time comes:

Took a random picture of the M10 sitting all lonely haha:

That's all for today. This is kind of random but I want to share it anyway. I was searching craigslist a few days ago and came across this 1973 Mercedes 280SEL. It had suffered a very small fire in the engine bay a few days prior and had burned though a few wires and a gas line. Tranny fluid sprayed onto the exhaust manifold and caught fire. The guy put the fire out very quickly and claimed that it was running perfect before that happened and that he needed to sell it this week because he's going on a 2 month trip to Isreal on Saturday and can't keep it. He was only asking $1000. I called him instantly and luckily I was the first person to call him so he gave me priority. I went and checked it out and brought cash and he started getting all hesitant and wasn't sure if he wanted to sell it that cheap because he had like 30 other people calling on it and realized he was letting it go for next to nothing. Anyways, he finally decided to sell the car! My plan was to just fix whatever was wrong and resell the car for some quick profit, but I ended up letting my dad buy the car off the guy. He's been looking for a cheap fixer upper and he's not good with craigslist so we agreed that when he sells it, he will split the profit with me. Not really my original plan haha but I'm glad to help him out and he's stoked on it so it's all good. We towed it up to my dad's house last night and my dad called me at 10am and already had the car running haha runs perfect! The car is actually in pretty awesome condition. Now we both own '73's :D

Comment

small lame update today. Didn't do too much.

Replaced the input shaft seal on the trans today. Here is the cover taken off with the seal out:

Put the new seal in and torqued everything down and it's good to go:

Then I filled it with some Redline MTL:

I read online somewhere that it takes a little under a quart to fill up the trans, which I soon discovered definitely isn't the case. Upon searching it again, I found that it actually takes 1.6 quarts, so I had to order another quart. Learning everything online sucks sometimes haha I'll just have to wait it out and fill the rest when I get it. No biggie.

Then I took out the control arms to replace the bushings. Before:

After:

The bushings were pretty shot and the control arms themselves were pretty beat up as well. I decided that I'm going to sell the OEM bushings that I bought for them and just buy whole new control arms. It's really not that much more expensive and the bushings come pressed in already. So I made yet another order with Blunt for some control arms and an outer tie rod assembly since the passenger side was toast. Blunt Tech is taking all of my money :)

Comment

I must commend you sir on the great photography, even in shots of simple things your attention to detail is great...what camera do you shoot on?

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
                      Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
                        I must commend you sir on the great photography, even in shots of simple things your attention to detail is great...what camera do you shoot on?
                        Thank you! I shoot with a Canon T2i with Magic Lantern firmware installed. Majority of these pics were taken with the stock 18-55mm but lately I've been shooting with my 50mm f/1.8 (which are the noticeably better looking pictures with more depth of field). I decided I'm going to start using the 50mm more, I just love the way the pictures look.

Comment

got to this thread a bit late, but its looking good! great job

Patrick - IG:niicknac
                          RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

Originally posted by e30shmobberr View Post
                            got to this thread a bit late, but its looking good! great job
                            Thank you!

Comment

Just in, more parts and supplies.

Pictured are two OEM BMW front control arms with bushings pressed in, one outer tie rod assembly for the passenger side, some flap disks and wire wheels (I love Harbor Freight :)):

Comment

don't let your dad sell that benz! god what i'd do for a rust-free w108, a v8 one too!

i like your peektures, and the scale of the work you're doing. can't wait to see more. ps.. you know this thing deserves better than diamond racing steelies.

Comment

Working...
                                X