Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 years - 1991 325ix, Stroker/5-Speed (N52 swap?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner of an IX here. I just came across the holy grail build thread. Hoping you keep making some MAJOR break-throughs and open up some doors for all of us other IXers!

How are you hacking the DME exactly? I never understood how people are able to do things to such proprietary systems. And I'm a sys-admin!
    325IX Build Thread
    RX7 Build Thread

Comment

basically? A hex editor and $40 in Chinese cloned hardware, and a bit of time..

I'll have an update to post in here fairly soon. I basically have a complete MSV70 disassembly so I can do pretty much anything I want with it now (and MSS70, MS45).
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

that's amazing...

So is your plan to use the factory N52 ECU?
        325IX Build Thread
        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

If you figured out how to remove EWS from the E39 540i DMEs I bet we would see a huge influx of people doing that swap.

Awesome work dude!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

Is that a bosch or Siemens DME? I can probably do it with some time.

Yes I'm using the factory DME.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

They were Bosch. M62 (prevanos) got the M5.2, and the M62TUs got the ME7.2. The ME7.2 seems to use a C167 cpu like the MS43.

Comment

I can't believe I've never subscribed to this tread. I fixed that
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

And updated your avatar

Comment

Originally posted by terraphantm View Post
                      They were Bosch. M62 (prevanos) got the M5.2, and the M62TUs got the ME7.2. The ME7.2 seems to use a C167 cpu like the MS43.
                      Thanks for that. I totally missed Nando's question

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

I haven't done anything with C167. I'd need some motivation.

MSV70/MSS70/MS45 are all in the same family (also MSS60 and MSS65 to some degree), with the same CPU and a lot of the same code - makes it easy to extend knowledge from one to the other. Unfortunately for me BMW no longer uses PPC cpus so I can't extend it to anything newer. :p

Nothing new to post yet - I did actually drive my E30 today. Had to dust it off. I should probably put some fuel stabilizer in it - at least it's on a trickle charger, but it didn't want to start right away. Haven't been driving it mainly because the CV shafts really need to be rebuilt and I've been too busy working on my house.

That's almost done though, then I'm going to clear out my garage (again) and start pulling apart the motor, cleaning it up, and putting it back together.

Still need to find a good fabricator who can modify the oil pan too. That's a major hurdle. The other issue is an oil pickup tube which will have to be made. There's not really a lot of adventurous custom fabricators in this area, unfortunately.

If somebody knows of a good fabricator who can weld aluminum, let me know - seriously.
                        Last edited by nando; 09-07-2016, 09:47 AM.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you do all the leg work and chop/grind the bits yourself, can't you just go to a local welder? I'd have no problem with it if you weren't half way across the world.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I don't really have the time/space/tools to do that. Plus, I know a little about weld prep - enough that I'd rather the guy who's doing the welding did the cutting and grinding.

how about I send you the transmission, transfercase, bed plate, oil pans, driveshaft, and differential to fab it up for me? it would only be about $500 in shipping. :p
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              I haven't done anything with C167. I'd need some motivation.

MSV70/MSS70/MS45 are all in the same family (also MSS60 and MSS65 to some degree), with the same CPU and a lot of the same code - makes it easy to extend knowledge from one to the other. Unfortunately for me BMW no longer uses PPC cpus so I can't extend it to anything newer. :p
                              Yeah I really don't like the C167. I can't really figure out how to set the memory map, and little endian really messes with my head. Plus those Bosch DMEs are annoying with their 6 billion checksums scattered throughout.

Guess I should eventually learn how to work with the TriCore DMEs.

Comment

So what about the M5.2 DME? Easier than the ME7.2?

I apologize for derailing your thread, feel free to ignore me!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                                Transaction feedback
                                - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                                X