★ ★ Project Glacier | Make the E30 a Daily Again ★ ★

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lambo View Post
    I'm not sure, to be honest. I would really like to make it up there.
    Right on, its my goal to make it for the first time this year. A lot of work to be done before.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Made a little more progress on the M52 today.

I started out by fixing that stripped exhaust manifold stud :down:

I also got around to removing the VANOS in order to replace it with a Dr VANOS unit, and in order to install the S52 cams. I was surprised how easy it was.

VANOS removed

There's definitely some evidence that the PO didn't do oil changes as often as I would have probably liked...

Old crusty VANOS vs new fresh VANOS

Then I was getting tired of camshaft things and I decided to install the E34 oil pan and pump pick up. This is about as far as I got before I realized I didn't buy a new pick up tube gasket, and I hadn't cleaned my E34 pan. I guess this will have to wait. I did buy an oil pump nut with safety wire, though.

And here's where the engine is sitting as of tonight, with the S52 cams just sitting in there... I'll finish up that install tomorrow.

Oh, I also got some hotboi UUC aluminum pulleys for the water pump and power steering...

And a pretty lame beer count... I was out at a friends house drinking last night so I had to take it a bit slower today...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

★ ★ Project Glacier | Stella | NOW WITH 2X THE VALVES and 200% moar doggo ★ ★

Updates always make me happy, but what were the doggos doing to help?
        Last edited by 2mAn; 03-17-2018, 10:01 PM.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Updates always make me happy, but what were the doggos doing to help?
          All I want in life is to make you happy

And the doggos didn't do shit to help.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Bonus pic

DSC05218 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Comment

Did you ever have any rubbing issues when you were rocking the style 5’s?

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
                Did you ever have any rubbing issues when you were rocking the style 5’s?
                No I didn’t have any running issues. But my fenders are rolled basically flat.

Comment

Well today was kinda shitty.

Yesterday I had noticed some scoring on the M52 cams and on some of the M52 bearing caps. I wasn’t too worried because my S52 cams were clean. However, I didn’t get the bearing caps with the S52 cams and trays.

No problem, I thought... I’ll just use the good caps from the M52 and order some replacement ones for the others. I quickly learned that the trays and caps are machined together so you can’t go about mixing and matching caps and trays.

So... if anyone is selling a set of M/S52 cam trays with bearing caps. Clean with no scoring, I’m super interested...

Some pics of the carnage...

I guess it's gonna sit shamefully until I get this sorted out :(

This also has me a little concerned with how the bottom end looks...

I also saw a cool 911 when I went to get lunch

Comment

Reason #439 for why I will never finish my E30 :drink:

Comment

Got the set of cam trays I ordered off eBay. Luckily they look to be in good condition with no scoring. So I should have the engine back together this week.

Comment

New purchase of the dirt bike or just too busy ripping it around?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                          New purchase of the dirt bike or just too busy ripping it around?
                          A bit of both... I just picked it up and I'm gonna be ripping it around all summer lol

Comment

Finally back on the grind. It helps that I now have a dedicated garage spot to work in and store stuff.

I got the cams fully installed tonight. Gonna button up the rest of the valvetrain tomorrow night.

Comment

how long would you say it took to swap camskis?
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                                how long would you say it took to swap camskis?
                                Not long at all, it's super easy once you figure out the process. If the engine was in the car it would probably take a day of casually working on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X