No announcement yet.

yahh's 1986 325e S50+Recaro+BBS RS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff never showed so progress has slowed down and I have been working 50-70 hours a week. I have July 4th through the 13th off though for vacation so I will be kicking it into high gear for bimmerfest on the 20th!

First update bought another e30 to daily. Definitely has leaking valve seals on cylinders 1 and 2 and possibly a blown HG. I really bought it for the differential in it. When I pulled mine I noticed that it was a 3.25 open diff and this one has a 2.93 LSD diff. Perfect for the ZF tranny gearing and perfect for boost. That brings me to my next point, I've bought a turbo manifold so I will slowly be piecing a turbo kit together over the next year (most likely). Not my first time down the turbo road since I boosted the eclipse on my own but we will see.

This weekends progress.

"New e30" 86 325es.

Swapped out the diffs on saturday (i'll upload some cell pics I took a bit later)

Today while watching soccer I broke down the diff for paint and to replaces the side seals and the rear seal.

Wire wheel brushed it like crazy then painted it with Rustoleum gloss black. Along with the trailing arms and the rear subframe.

Bolts painted black.

Drain and Fill plugs painted silver.

Side seal locks silver.

Rear Cover silver also.

[/URL]

Rear Hardlines

Rear LSD unit out making sure that there are no broken teeth/quick inspection.

Bearings have nearly no play so no need to replace them.

I don't have the balls or tools to rebuild it yet so it will just go back in the case once its dried and filled with redline.

Changed plans on the BBS rs'. Ordered 2 more lips so I will be running 16x8.5 square. Center caps will be red/gold and gold bolts.

s50 86 325e Project

S50 - BBS - Recaro - BC Coilovers - Morimoto H1 Retrofit

Feedback Thread

Comment

Bimmerfest is coming up so I'm feeling a bit of pressure to get this car done in time. Went into the garage today and got some work done.

Started off with the Differential seals.

Old:

New:

Got the old differential bushing out and new one pressed in:

Differential back in its case:

All sealed up.

TAB's done.

Welding the camber/toe adjustments onto the sub-frame after dinner and getting the bushings in there.

Also swapped out the billy sports for the BC Coil-over shocks earlier as well.

This also came in today along with 2 more lips for my BBS.
      Last edited by yahh; 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM.

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Dad and I got the subframe all welded up just need to slot the holes.

Also rebuilt one of the axles, the other will be done maybe sunday.

Before

After

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Love the amount of pictures. Keep it up man.

Comment

nice thread, good to see so many pictures makes it clear exactly what steps you're going through. How hard is it to rebuild the CV joint?
            sigpic

Comment

Good work man, you now got a full 14 days to finish. Keep up the great work, and let me know if you need anything.
              I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

Some more progress tonight.

Second axle was being a bit of a bitch so I had to bring out the short pipe.

All Cleaned up

Boots and part # I used, recommended by bluntech

Froze the bearing like I read online to make it easier and used the harbor freight bearing tool. Super painless job with the right tools.

Bearing in. (brand: FAG)

oe C Clip

Hub pressed in using the harbor freight tool again.

Trailing arm 1 ready

Trailing arm 2 ready

Also got the sub-frame adjustments notched and painted it.

Assembling the subframe tomorrow hopefully.

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

nice progress. what sealant did you use to seal your diff cover?

Comment

Keep up the good work.
                    Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Sell me those billies?
                      Originally posted by blunttech
                      r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                        nice progress. what sealant did you use to seal your diff cover?
                        I used an oe paper gasket with a thin bead of copper gasket maker.

Originally posted by Killacortes View Post
                        Sell me those billies?
                        I need them for the daily, since the struts on there are blown.

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                        Keep up the good work.
                        Thanks!

Will try to get the rear end together tonight! So excited haha

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Couple more hours in tonight. I spent 3 hours taking the diff apart and putting it back together 5 times to get it to fully align and get the shims on the correct way for it not to lock up.

Started by pressing in the sub frame bushings.

Used loctite to convert the differential mount bolts to studs and mounted it to the subframe.(12mm riser kit)

You can see the spacers + studs here.

Fast forward a bit and you can see the rear end almost complete.

Fully adjustable rear now :)

Also wirebrushed and painted the sub frame support bar.

Finally my dad and his "ricer wall." Better the wall than his car I guess haha

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

It was a long and tedious day, quite frustrating actually.

Starting by spraying the other side of the "subframe lock plate"

Removed the old brake lines that were left on the body.

Then I got all the brake lines on the subframe.

Ground down the welds from the one side that held my CSB in place, thanks P/O. Guess he lost the bolts so he just threw a couple spatter welds onto it. I painted it after that but forgot to take a picture.

When I was removing the subframe one of the old washers had snapped right at the round part so I had to drill that out after beating it from the top with a center pin wasn't catching enough on the small edge.

I then drained/filled the transmission and filled the diff. The transmission had VERY clean red line fluid in there which makes me happy.

How I routed my gravity fed masterpiece lol

Put the guibo on.

Couple hours later and the subframe went up. Wasn't too hard but not easy either. Subframe torqued to 103 ft-lbs. Still need to torque the Rear diff bushing and axles after I get the brakes/DS on.

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

damn your fast. i am dreading on doing my subframe bushings and putting in my 3.73 diff in.
                              keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                                damn your fast. i am dreading on doing my subframe bushings and putting in my 3.73 diff in.
                                keep up the good work
                                Thanks man. It sucks but you will be happy once you do it. It's really not that difficult just time consuming and having a second person really helps. I did everything alone until my dad helped me put the subframe up.

Went to BMW this morning and picked up the lock nuts for the DS and Transmission Yoke. $14 for 6 nuts :o. This is why I order things online, but I needed them today.

All new Fermi brake shoes and new hardware installed.

Bored out the hole on the rotors so they sit perfectly flush. I wasn't satisfied with how they came.

Rotors on.

Calipers and pads

Torqued the axles to 150 FT LBS.

For the first time in ~7 months this car has a working drivetrain!

Finishing the exhaust tonight, hopefully.

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X