the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyE30 View Post
    Lol at this; not at you, just at the amount of $$$ it would cost.
    Yea, i think it's a grand easily and I'd save maybe 50 pounds haha
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Just ordered the Besian VANOs rattle and seals repair kits. Its been annoying me for a while and figured I might as well get it done now while I have some free time. I will probably get some professional help to make sure the timing doesnt get fouled up.

I also got some help in trying to address my stupid issues with the starting / battery draining. Im almost 100% sure that the trunk light was the culprit, we may have actually fixed it now. fingers crossed. At the same time, my starter is on its way out which when combined with the battery draining had me confused.

Already bought a new starter but will take my time doing it because I have some other things Im going to do at the same time. The intake manifold support brackets, and cleaning up the wiring and hoses under the intake will happen at the same time so that will be fun. I will take some before and after pics, but only will post them if it looks sexy when Im done haha
      Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

Hit an unofficial 24000 miles on the new setup yesterday and it couldnt have happened at a better place or time. Im only a few days from being a full year of driving the new setup. I was at my parents house in my hometown tearing up the local backroad. This last tank had a lot of WOT between pulling on a modded RS4 on the freeway with my brother weighing me down, a few trips on the backroad and other general hooning.

Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

My tires were getting bad and I really wanted to move up from my 205/45s to 225/45s. I ended up settling on a set of 205/45 Bridgestone RE11 up front and 215/45 RE10 in the back. Found them on craigslist, $300 for all 4. Tires were only a month old so they have a ton of tread.

These should definitely be an improvement over the Nitto NeoGens that I had before. Eventually I'd like to get Dunlop star specs by they weren't available for a few more months and I couldn't wait any longer.

Got them mounted and balanced for $40, so all in all $340 for 4 "new" tires . I'm happy

edit: I also sent the old tires off in good fashion. I may, or may have not, practiced doing a brake stand haha

Not bad for the first time hahah
          Last edited by 2mAn; 05-18-2015, 05:56 PM.
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

215s on 16x7 wheels? getting pretty chunky there in the back eh?

What rear spacers are you using? I'm getting rub with my 205s but I'm running 20mm spacers on all corners so I either need a mild fender roll or thinner spacers to more comfortably accommodate my 205s let alone upsize to 215s.
            '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by thatphysicsguy View Post
              215s on 16x7 wheels? getting pretty chunky there in the back eh?

What rear spacers are you using? I'm getting rub with my 205s but I'm running 20mm spacers on all corners so I either need a mild fender roll or thinner spacers to more comfortably accommodate my 205s let alone upsize to 215s.

I have 10mm spacers in front and 15mm in back, so effectively a et25 up front and a et20 in the back.

I have zero issues with rubbing except the front at full lock, remember mines an early model with the higher rear arches. I dont mind the chunky look, I actually miss the old 225s I had on the back when I first got the SSRs

It doesnt look too bad IMO

Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Simon you should come on our drives - Ryan, my brother and I.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I hear that 30s tend to understeer with staggered setups. What's your experience with them?

I'm contemplating having another go at my suspension/tire setup over the summer, because I'm getting a lot of understeer, and I'm not sure if I should look at my track width/ and tire specs, or if I need to get new sways or something.

And yeah that setup with the 225s doesn't look too bad. Might also help that they are lower profile than my 50s.
                  '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                    Simon you should come on our drives - Ryan, my brother and I.
                    Im down. I will have more free time in June.

I hear that 30s tend to understeer with staggered setups. What's your experience with them?

I'm contemplating having another go at my suspension/tire setup over the summer, because I'm getting a lot of understeer, and I'm not sure if I should look at my track width/ and tire specs, or if I need to get new sways or something.
                    30s? as in et30? what is your effective offset? I think yours are et43 originally, right? so you are ~et23 with 20mm?

I havent really had too much of an issue with understeer, might be because I can induce oversteer with more throttle. I am finally at a point where I think I should be focusing on seat time, but will probably wait until I install my Besian Vanos repair kit, because its bugging me and I know a track or autox day will make it even worse than it already is...
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Im down. I will have more free time in June.

30s? as in et30? what is your effective offset? I think yours are et43 originally, right? so you are ~et23 with 20mm?

I havent really had too much of an issue with understeer, might be because I can induce oversteer with more throttle. I am finally at a point where I think I should be focusing on seat time, but will probably wait until I install my Besian Vanos repair kit, because its bugging me and I know a track or autox day will make it even worse than it already is...
                      E30s my bad on the ambiguity.

Bad VANOS rattle?
                      '91 325i

Comment

E30s my bad on the ambiguity.

Bad VANOS rattle?
                        yea the Vanos was the only thing that I didnt rebuild in the engine build, and of course its making noise now.

Would've been super easy to fix while the engine was apart, now its going to be a pain in the ass. oh well...
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

SOUNDS LIKE IT'S TIME FOR DR. VANOS

'91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            My tires were getting bad and I really wanted to move up from my 205/45s to 225/45s. I ended up settling on a set of 205/45 Bridgestone RE11 up front and 215/45 RE10 in the back. Found them on craigslist, $300 for all 4. Tires were only a month old so they have a ton of tread.

These should definitely be an improvement over the Nitto NeoGens that I had before. Eventually I'd like to get Dunlop star specs by they weren't available for a few more months and I couldn't wait any longer.

Got them mounted and balanced for $40, so all in all $340 for 4 "new" tires . I'm happy

edit: I also sent the old tires off in good fashion. I may, or may have not, practiced doing a brake stand haha

Not bad for the first time hahah
                            Is that Griffith park?
                            If so be careful the ranger station is just down the street

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                              Is that Griffith park?
                              If so be careful the ranger station is just down the street
                              maaayyyyybbbbeeeee
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Very nice car and build! I've come across this thread a couple of times since it started ages ago, back when I was dreaming of an e30. Glad to see how much progress you made!!

Don't sell it!!!!
                                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X