No announcement yet.

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 appts scheduled for the rest of this month. #1 Meeting up with R3ZN & picking up his ~60k mile S50 midpipe on Saturday the 14th, then #2 Appt with JMP to install it on Thursday the 19th, & #3 Referee appt on Tuesday the 24th. Got the 7:30am one, which is the first one! Now I just have to hope the computers are up and running when I get there so I can just drive and stick the sniffer in her butt.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Just read cover to cover, would read again. What an awesome saga! Also... I now want to aluminum swap my vert lol
      -Riggs

2003 M5
      SS headers + Exhaust, Bilstein PSS9, Front 6-Piston BMW Performance LBK w/ 2 piece rotors, Rear ECS 2 piece rotors, Euro dash

1988 325i Convertible
      Stroked M20, Bilstein Sports and H&Rs, Borbet CF

1989 M3 Race Chassis
      Lots of pieces in big boxes that'll one day hopefully get put together back into something that at least rolls

Comment

Originally posted by JRiggs View Post
        Just read cover to cover, would read again. What an awesome saga! Also... I now want to aluminum swap my vert lol
        Tell you what, I'll trade you straight across for your parts car ;)

So today was step 1 of the3 that I needed to do. Was planning on taking the daily Benz, but decided at the last minute to take the E30. It was a nice little drive up the 101 to meet up with R3ZN and it turns out the ~60k mid pipe is actually an OBD2 piece which is a nice surprise.

Woohoo!

Dropping off the car on Wednesday and hopefully picking it up on either Friday or Saturday.
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Last night I drove up Topanga canyon and had to stop and take a pic before I got to Charlies house (Sh3park!ng). Not the best but I still have to share

After I left him (and my iS lip in his driveway), I went and dropped off the car at JMP to have the OBD2 midpipe installed. I was hoping it would be plug & play, but it looks like the previous shop welded the midpipe to the rest of the exhaust, so now they have to deal with that

But overall it should be done before the weekend and on Tuesday is step 3 of my third attempt with the BAR & the referee.
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

The car really looks great with white bumpers.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
              The car really looks great with white bumpers.
              thanks, I was against it for so long but damn if it doesnt look way better now
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                thanks, I was against it for so long but damn if it doesnt look way better now
                I second that

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                Shadetree30

Comment

I want to hear the news as well.

Comment

Me trice!

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                      I want to hear the news as well.
                      Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                      Me trice!
                      Well, here's the report so far:

Picked up the car yesterday and I immediately noticed the tone had changed slightly, but it wasn't until I floored it in 2nd that I really noticed the increase in torque. All those who say the OBD2 mid pipe is better, I'm a believer. I have the next test in Tuesday and I'm going to put some more miles on it tomorrow but if this helps me over the hump what a nice bonus that it seems to be quicker. Fingers crossed.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

So.... Failed again. It was actually worse this time than before. And this time it was much more ideal. I only waited a few minutes when I got there, I also shut down the car instead of letting it sit there and idle. After the both runs, he actually got out and checked the before and after cat temps and said that these cats were no good

I am trying to figure out what to do, but I definitely need new cats now and he recommended the Magnaflow CA legal cats. I am also thinking I should talk to TRM and see if they can adjust the tune a little so that it doesnt run as rich on the lower rpms to try and help drop the HC.

I am also listening to any suggestions you guys have...
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Damn man, I was really hoping to see a pass this time... those cats weren't high mileage right?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                          Shadetree30

Comment

I think new cats should push it through. My eta shot out way below the average amount (nearly 0's on CO and NO) when I bought it with a new cat, and it did it again as a chipped 2.7i yesterday.

Comment

Old cats were ~150k based on what they had before I bought them and what I put on them, these are ~60k according to R3ZN. Im kinda shocked that they tested worse then before. Everything looks worse on this go around
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

That's strange that emissions actually got worse, but I guess the cats could have been bad/damaged even at 60k. Leaning it out will make the biggest difference, but I don't know what kind of engine management you're running so I don't know how easy it'd be for you to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X