the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
    On the OBD2 midpipe, where did you put the O2?

Enough E36 guys have done the OBD1-2 swap and said that getting the proper O2 location is tricky, so I'd say scour m3forum E36 section.

I don't think your numbers are crazy bad, just willing to bet somewhere between the tuning and the O2 might be an issue. Is the O2 new?

If the cats were actually bad-bad when warm you'd be well into gross polluter range. Although, if you can find someone with another pipe that has proven to have passed emissions, try that?

I went to a local smog shop before my BAR apt and just asked to run a pre-test on the machine, and they were cool with it. I told them I was preparing for BAR, showed them my appointment info, and that I'd like to verify my cats worked, so we ran a full test in whatever mode they do that doesn't report to CA's computers. Worth a try, and will eliminate all this guesswork. Isolate a variable, test, and continue on.
    o2 is about 6 months old when I swapped from OBD2 manifolds to OBD1. Its the crazy long one. Its mounted basically where the OBD1 is down in front of the cat down under the car.

Does this means its most likely a tuning issue??

Would dialing back the timing help, because it seems like thats the only thing TRM says they can do to help with the part throttle maps. This is all foreign to me.

Did they charge you for a pre-test?

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
    Nemesiiiiiis!!!
    I should've been shady from the begininng
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      I dont appreciate you calling my car a clunker:hitler:
      Not once did i refer to your car as a clunker, sweetie pie. It was more meant as a last resort deal. I know what it's like to spend all this money and still not be satisfied. Sorry to hear that, though.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        Not once did i refer to your car as a clunker, sweetie pie. It was more meant as a last resort deal. I know what it's like to spend all this money and still not be satisfied. Sorry to hear that, though.
        I was making an ASS out of U and ME ;)
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

I was making an ASS out of U and ME ;)
          I see that. Asshoooooooole.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

o2 is about 6 months old when I swapped from OBD2 manifolds to OBD1. Its the crazy long one. Its mounted basically where the OBD1 is down in front of the cat down under the car.

Does this means its most likely a tuning issue??

Would dialing back the timing help, because it seems like thats the only thing TRM says they can do to help with the part throttle maps. This is all foreign to me.

Did they charge you for a pre-test?
            I don't know enough about tuning to comment on that. It's all possible.

They did charge me, same as for a normal test, so call a bunch of shops to see if they'll do it, and then how much it'll be. It's likely cheaper than missing work to fail though.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Are you running the OBDI ECU along with the OBDI exhaust equipment? If you are using the OBDII ECU, but have the O2 sensor in an OBDI location, maybe it is causing rich running.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                Are you running the OBDI ECU along with the OBDI exhaust equipment? If you are using the OBDII ECU, but have the O2 sensor in an OBDI location, maybe it is causing rich running.
                413 red label ECU (OBD1), OBD1 exhaust manifolds & an OBD2 midpipe with the single o2 sensor in the OBD1 location.
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

I found the emissions from Sept 2013 when I last had smog. Only put another 20-30k on the engine since then.

Either way, I still hope you the best. This is still why I did not want payment for the pipes should it not pass for you. On this note though, I do not have to do a dyno smog, just 2 rev ranges.
                  Last edited by R3Z3N; 05-28-2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I wonder if putting a load made that much of a difference?... Also, I talked with TRM about the tune I had and we chatted about adjustments and they are sending me another chip with the tweaks free of charge. If anything, I'd like to dyno both to see what those adjustments do to affect the power. Making some progress
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

If you sold this car, will the new owner have to BAR it since you already tried to BAR it?

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                        I found the emissions from Sept 2013 when I last had smog. Only put another 20-30k on the engine since then.

Either way, I still hope you the best. This is still why I did not want payment for the pipes should it not pass for you. On this note though, I do not have to do a dyno smog, just 2 rev ranges.
                        Interesting, you didnt have to pass/fail anything in regards to NOx.... HC's on yours look good though.

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                        Full Product Line Tuning
                        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                          Interesting, you didnt have to pass/fail anything in regards to NOx.... HC's on yours look good though.
                          Yea I didnt notice that when I first looked. The numbers are crazy low still, but Im not sure how much of that is due to not having to put a load on it.

Im still going to try a few things and run a "pre-test" with regular smog shop to see if those changes made enough of a difference before I go back to the referee.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Yea I didnt notice that when I first looked. The numbers are crazy low still, but Im not sure how much of that is due to not having to put a load on it.

Im still going to try a few things and run a "pre-test" with regular smog shop to see if those changes made enough of a difference before I go back to the referee.

Hydrocarbons are gases such as oil,gasoline and other liquid substances that go into an engine.

From experience anytime I have seen high levels of hydrocarbons it been the cats. If the cat can't do its job of capturing the hydrocarbons and converting them to h20 in this case vapor that comes out the exhaust the gases will glow right through it.

My car had the same problem with hydrocarbons but it was in the 1000s. So I took my friends e30 to the smog shop and I smoged "my car".

My money is on the cats try talking to someone you know and borrow their cats for a day with some beers and labor on your end. Best of luck Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Being a swapped car, its much more complicated than "borrowing someones cats" for a day to try out another set of cats... No easy solution right now
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Being a swapped car, its much more complicated than "borrowing someones cats" for a day to try out another set of cats... No easy solution right now

Are yours one complete piece? Or you have flanges welded before and after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X