No announcement yet.

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info, I just got some IE RSMs. Might switch to these of my shocks keep bottoming out

Comment

Mine came with the dust boots and bump stops. Like ak said I couldn't run the dust boots but am running the bump stops cut in half.

Today I ordered the GC SCCA spec camber plates. I also ordered M3 sway bar tabs for the strut towers and rear adjusters from IE.

Hopefully I'll have the spring here this week also but it's not looking good according to Nigel. Fingers crossed as I would love to assemble them this weekend so I can get them installed next weekend and then drop off they car for the corner balance and alignment from JMP
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        I have the Ground Control raised shock mounts so Ive heard that I will be fine, but we'll see

Have a pic of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          Have a pic of this?
          Post #546
          Finally had a chance to install the Koni's today! Straight forward easy job, the biggest pain was moving the Lukebox out of the way.

New Koni's ready to go, except that I couldnt use the dust shield & bumpstop
          new_konis by 2mAn

Side by Side comparison of the Bilsteins & Koni's. Its about a 3" difference in height. I had to jack up the trailing arm to install the lower mounting point of the shock. Very excited now. Of course, now the front struts seem tired, so the list isnt getting any shorter.

shock_comparison by 2mAn

The raised mount inside the car
          raised_shock_mounts by 2mAn

Heres a pic I took at full droop!

little droop by 2mAn

And now, its a nervous two days until the next BAR appt. Fingers crossed. Cars feeling great, Im feeling pretty good, but we'll see what happens.
          When I did it with the current IE3 springs in the back, I dont have to worry about the springs falling out anymore. I will take more detailed pics of this once I install the 4" springs with the adjusters. Hopefully this weekend, but we'll see
          Last edited by 2mAn; 07-29-2017, 11:56 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Parts are rolling in. I was worried the springs wouldn't make it in time so I asked Nigel to get them shipped faster... so UPS overnight and $115 in shipping means you get them first! Lol

I actually got the rear adjusters too from Ireland Engineering but they accidentally sent me a front set not the rear. I should have them tomorrow and am going to be tempted to install the rear setup before the weekend since it's just springs and adjusters

I also did this. Proud to be Assyrian

Things are looking good to be able to assemble the coilovers this weekend, let's see how long GC takes because the camber plates are the only thing left
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Love getting parts shipped to work. My coworkers all laugh at how excited I get for this stuff

Now I just need these camber plates and I'm ready to get the car corner balanced. I'm very excited about this stuff! I'm really curious what my curb weight will drop to.

It was about 2450 when it was still a street car. Didn't weigh the recaros when I sold them and didn't weigh the cobra seat, so that's the only real unknown. Took about 80 out with the stereo equipment, added about 50 back with the roll bar. Minus a rear seat and that's where we're at now. I really hope it's under 2350 but we'll see. I'll make sure it has a full tank when it goes to JMP

Any guesses?
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

hells yeah simon!

i predict 2340. What will I win if i'm within 10lbs?
                sigpic

Comment

+/- 10lbs =10 second long hug
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

;)
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Do you need a hug too, Omar?

Couldn't help myself and went and installed the rear Hyperco 700# springs with the Ireland Engineering adjusters. A really nice combo, went on super easy. Also finally installed the rear tow hooks I've had from Garagistic.

@Eric I took a few pics just for you. First shows the Konis with the Ireland Engineering springs ( for sale BTW), and the next is with the new stuff. Nothing like a solid setup. I left the adjusters right in the middle because I'll let JMP adjust them when they do the corner balancing

Not the best pics, but you get the jist.

Also..... got the camber plates too!! :grin:

I was going to assemble the front housings but realized I'm missing the top nut for the Konis. I also need to take the wheel bearing apart for the Condor vented brake backing plates so I decided he just call it a night

So excited for the next few weeks!! Big Willow track day in about 2 weeks!!
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Had a busy day yesterday which ended with having the correct nuts for the Konis and Zender rear spoiler.

Couldn't help myself when I had a few hours to kill and so I put the front coilovers together and installed the spoiler

I didn't want to pull the wheel bearing so I decided to just cut the dust shield off

Still trying to decide if I should get helper springs or not, thoughts?

Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Wow great progress!

Looking at this makes me want to find some free time and work on mine!

looking forward for your suspension project completion and setup feedback. Keep it up!
                          E30 now S52
                          2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
                          325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Looking good man, did you go with shortened housings?

Also, do you have adjustable swaybar links? If you are planning to have the car corner balanced they're definitely needed. If you don't have them, you have no way to take pre-load off the bar and it'll throw off your corner weights. If anything, just pull one of your links off front and rear before you take it to the shop so they don't have to mess with it
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
                              Wow great progress!

Looking at this makes me want to find some free time and work on mine!

looking forward for your suspension project completion and setup feedback. Keep it up!

Most of the progress is just spending money!! Lol

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                              Looking good man, did you go with shortened housings?

Also, do you have adjustable swaybar links? If you are planning to have the car corner balanced they're definitely needed. If you don't have them, you have no way to take pre-load off the bar and it'll throw off your corner weights. If anything, just pull one of your links off front and rear before you take it to the shop so they don't have to mess with it

Shortened housings with the corrado SA Konis. I might get my hands on some helper springs this week and I still need to weld the M3 sway bar tabs on the housings but haven't seen a definitive location of where to weld them so I'm a little skeptical and that's what has held me back from doing the full conversion.

The regular E30s sway bar mount is not going to affect the corner balance will it?
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Shortened housings with the corrado SA Konis. I might get my hands on some helper springs this week and I still need to weld the M3 sway bar tabs on the housings but haven't seen a definitive location of where to weld them so I'm a little skeptical and that's what has held me back from doing the full conversion.

The regular E30s sway bar mount is not going to affect the corner balance will it?
                                Nice! That'll be a huge improvement. If you're having someone do the corner balance maybe have them check the front to rear ride height too, you'll want to start out with the car as level (front to rear) as possible. Adding rake or de-rake is a really easy setup change that makes a really big difference, so later on when you're ready to start messing with setup stuff it'll be good to deviate from a known start point. Just make sure, if you're adjusting at the track, you're only adjusting the front axle and rear axle as a pair, or else you'll mess with the cross-weights

The swaybar location does not matter, it just needs to be neutral/free with the cross weights set. It's normal practice to disconnect the bars when corner balancing, then re-attach and zero (adjust end link until its free to move while connected) after you're finished. If your end links aren't adjustable, you're binding up the swaybar when adjusting cross.
                                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Working...
                                X