No announcement yet.

Operation: Obtain e30>>SUCCESS>>Initiate project #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! If these last two parts don't do it, I'm pretty much out of ideas and I'll have someone do a smoke test for me.

The seats are Corbeau "Sport"s that I found in a Craigslist part-out.
    Last edited by Spyke; 03-31-2014, 04:16 PM. Reason: found seat model name
    Current_SeeDee 1972 e10 Luna 1975 e10
    Past___Veronica 1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Comment

All the power steering is done! Working great with the e36 rack, no leaks, no alignment needed.

Comment

Car passed smog yaaay!

Comment

Just about had it with the cluster... replaced gears, fixed SI board, odometer still doesn't move, tach stuck at 2k, fuel gauge bounces all over and can't be trusted. Looking into getting an empty cluster shell and using more modern gauges, trying to see what I am in for and if everything will be compatible.

I am liking these gauges since they look very similar to the OEM gauges:

Comment

just pick up another instrument cluster.

Feedback!
            Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
            Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

I've actually thought about doing that as well but... I'm too lazy to re-wire that stuff. I'll just pick up a new cluster from Greg's ///M.

Comment

That's a lazy ass solution, and one that won't last long either... I feel building one/retrofitting is the right thing to do, as just dropping in another stock one is just a matter of time before it breaks down too. Let's face it, these things are out of date, getting old and brittle, and could look a bit nicer. The only challenge really will be integrating/wiring the aftermarket gauges with the rest of the cluster while keeping all the other functions like signals, hazards, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyke View Post
                  That's a lazy ass solution, and one that won't last long either... I feel building one/retrofitting is the right thing to do, as just dropping in another stock one is just a matter of time before it breaks down too. Let's face it, these things are out of date, getting old and brittle, and could look a bit nicer. The only challenge really will be integrating/wiring the aftermarket gauges with the rest of the cluster while keeping all the other functions like signals, hazards, etc.
                  idk i think the best thing to do would be to get a new one and re solder and refurbish it then put it in the car.

Feedback!
                  Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
                  Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Nicely done man, I'm liking how thorough you've been with everything.
                    Originally posted by csermonet47
                    Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

That's the problem. There are no "new" ones, only ones that have been partially repaired. I know Greg, he's a local and I've already been at his place a few times. Don't get me wrong he's a smart guy and does this kind of work professionally but when the majority of parts are 30 years old and counting, I think it's time for a makeover.

Comment

Just read through this thread, nice job so far. I would have to agree with the person who said buy a used cluster. The issues you are having are definitely not the norm and the stock cluster is just so fitting for the car I wouldn't want to put some aftermarket gauges on...

Enjoy the car!
                        Current:
                        1989 325i
                        1988 M3
                        1987 325ic
                        Past:
                        2001 330ci
                        2001 M3

Comment

^^what he said. Also, I had flaky idle/dying issues. Found intake mani gaskets leaking. While I had intake off, took it and valve cover for soda blasting and wrinkled black powdercoat. The new gaskets took care of the issues and it looked like I had a brand new engine!
                          Great job on build.
                          sigpic

92 325iC Diamantschwarz factory M-Technic appearance
                          99 M Roadster Dakar Yellow II
                          97 318ti Active Bostongrun DD
                          01 Z3 3.0i Coupe Black Sapphire
                          93 325iC Schwarz II. Sold, but not forgotten.

Comment

Found a group that rebuilds stepper motors with 1-2 day turn around, so I may try that as a last resort.

I actually bought new intake manifold gaskets but couldn't access nearly any of the nuts for it so I skipped that... maybe I need to give it another shot.

Comment

It's a pain to remove the intake with the head on the engine. Using a racheting box end helped me greatly.
                              - Josh
                              1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                              Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Okay caught up on some projects and since I'm not going to worry about the cluster for right now, it's time to focus on the door panels. Just spent a few hours scraping adhesive (which is the most annoying part of these). Looks very pretty now, should be able to start shaping the prototype panel tomorrow.

IMG_20130731_195432 by Spyke e36/e30, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X