Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next project after the MT1. My car was a 7/90 build, the last month manual top verts were produced. cool thing is the sheet metal in the top compartment is fully stamped with all the power top mounting points.. So an electric top retrofit is absolutely feasible.

Yes I know nobody does this. That's why I'm doing it. Already have about 90% of the parts including an electric top.

Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:43 PM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

i have a manuAL top and while i love it. I've always wondered about the electric. can't wait to see.
      i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Mtech1 spoiler arrived today. Vert side skirts are in transit.

Ordered a euro valance and received a BMW MISLABELED diving board valance instead! Definitely a BMW error - incredible.

top part is a repro 41331933772 euro valance. bottom is a 41331933771 US diving board valance mislabeled as a 772 euro.

Not the only person with this problem either.
        Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:45 PM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

drove the car today. below 3k absolutely blows. definitely need to work on the tune.
          these will help too I'm sure - E30 RD long tube headers going in after the Vintage.

Still hoping the new RD group buy happens.. if so I'll move these to the IX.
          Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:46 PM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

She's TUNED!!! Finally

My ITBs are finally dialed in!!! Power is back and definitely stronger than stock. Multiple issues including a flaky ICV, extreme difficulty getting the carbs to sync and a semi loose connection on one of the 2 sensor cables that connect near the round service port. I know one is the pickup for the spark plug wire and I think the other is for the CPS. I assume CPS was connected ok since car started, drove etc.

I also had a pinched seal on one end of the breather/bitch tube that slowly leaked so that and the crappy tune motivated me to tear everything down again.

With the ITBs out I took the time to back each of the 3 adjuster screws out so that the throttle plates were all fully closed on each pair. Once back installed i went ahead and tried tuning at idle without the plenum installed so that I could access the third adjuster screw. I picked the ITB pair with the highest vacuum and started matching the others to it as far as I could, then tuned the higher vacuum ITB pair close to the others (I.e. Lowered vacuum reading to get closer to the others). Adjusting one pair affected the others so I had to keep switching between them. This time it acted very differently though, no backfiring and much smoother idle. My wife immediately noticed the difference as well.

Hope this helps some end else with ITB tuning.
            Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:49 PM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Also swapped out the chrome bumpers and finally painted and installed the euro valance and fogs. What a transformation!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xqjf9g]

Oh and that hardtop headliner repair failed miserably. You can push the cloth into the hardtop and if sticks.. But a minute later it falls. Will try attaching it again wth more adhesive ahead of the Vintage trip later this week. Worst case I'll pull the headliner on the road and use the hardtop without it!
              Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:52 PM.

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                Vert MtechI skirts are vary rare.......
                indeed.. i'm hoping a certain canuck has pity on me. we'll see.
                The Canuck delivered! Vert side skirts and mtech1 air ducts arrived finally! MT1 setup is now complete except for a pending hardware shipment from BMW.

quick trial fit last night - replica just about perfect, down to the part number detail!

also completed the hardtop headliner reglue - neighbor suggested I try a fabric store for foam material and bingo! they actually had 1/4" foam backed headliner material! that was key to getting the OEM fabric to stay up. Glued the foam side to the fiberglass top, and then the original cloth to the new headliner cloth. feels and looks pretty darn good now!
                Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:53 PM.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

car is looking awesome man. Where did you get a repro valence?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Seriously?

The freaking car is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable what a few hard to find but well sorted parts will do for a car.

Love the color contrast with the chrome accents etc.

Comment

Oh man the car is looking great! Definitely going to search for you at the Vintage to see it up close.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                        Vert side skirts and mtech1 air ducts arrived finally! MT1 setup is now complete except for a pending hardware shipment from BMW.

quick trial fit last night - replica just about perfect, down to the part number detail!
                        ........looking good;)..........
                        ..........................................the thin long side cover (1x1 x70) is usually removed
                        prior to installing skirts.....(could however be a usefull for double stick tape)
                        Last edited by 411; 05-17-2016, 11:39 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

now I know what to look for.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                            car is looking awesome man. Where did you get a repro valence?
                            Ha ebay.de a couple of years ago. I think Barron pointed me to the auction. It mounted up perfectly with one very minor issue - on the 771 db valance, the ends of the narrow strip below the grilles have holes for body clips on both the top and bottom of each end. The repro euro valance only had the holes on the top. easy to drill them, but I didn't realize it before painting so I mounted without the lower body clips because I didn't want to expose bare metal or have to repair the paint job.

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                            Seriously?

The freaking car is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Unbelievable what a few hard to find but well sorted parts will do for a car.
                            Love the color contrast with the chrome accents etc.
                            Thanks javier!! we're kinda obsessed with this car... our plans:

APPEARANCE
                            getting close to where we want it, and we'll get it painted in the next year or two. I thought about going body color on the bumpers.. but I dig the chrome alot so..

I'm also thrilled to find the repro MT1 vert side skirts and surprised at how much my wife and I like the way they look.. Our e30 bud Chad was wondering about leaving them black.. it does look good that way but I can't see leaving them a different color than the MT1 front spoiler, trunk spoiler and apron. Then again the rear trunk spoiler is gonna be calypso and black...

As much as we're digging the MT1 bits, we're very excited about being able to switch between them and the stock euro setup. here's how we're doing it:
                            - I will keep the original trunk unmodified for collector reasons (though man I hate that 3rd brake light / trunk wart).
                            - I scored a rust free used e30 coupe deck lid with the IS spoiler holes pre-drilled. will paint that and use it as my MT1 trunk lid
                            - Also have a new OEM trunk lid which I will paint and have available to install unmodified
                            - since I have the front euro valance I can just unmount the euro fogs, remove the front frames on them and attach them to the MT1 front spoiler.
                            - I remove both bumpers, pull the trim and reassemble them on the MT1 front spoiler and rear apron, then remount.
                            - Still need to figure out how to make the vert side skirts cleanly removable - drilling holes for mounting clips isn't too exciting. Truth is though these repro vert skirts are hard fiberglass anyway not urethane like the originals... so maybe I can skip some of the drilling - we'll see.

PERFORMANCE
                            Even with the ITBs this car is nothing like chicagolande30's or achtunge30's S52 verts.. I've driven chicagolande30's car - it's much faster than mine by quite a bit. But I'm just not feeling the S52. It's not like my old E46 M3 and it doesn't have the sound and vibe of the M20. I'll get there with the stroker and RD headers, and will retain the M20 sound + feel. Focus is on a fat and flat torque curve rather than raw HP. If I need to add the Vortech SC to get the right performance under those conditions I'll do that.
                            Last edited by bradnic; 05-19-2016, 08:25 PM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                              Oh man the car is looking great! Definitely going to search for you at the Vintage to see it up close.
                              right on! come on by man. wife and i are totally excited about this trip.

Originally posted by 411 View Post
                              ........looking good;)..........
                              ..........................................the thin long side cover (1x1 x70) is usually removed prior to installing skirts.....(could however be a useful for double stick tape)
                              are you talking about the strip of material along the bottom? I'll give you a call to discuss. just trial fitting right now - we'll get the MT1 work done in the next month or two.

Originally posted by 318aye View Post
                              now I know what to look for.
                              mysterious.. what do you mean? meetup at the Vintage? definitely gonna look for you this weekend!

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

giant thumbs up brother.
                                '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Working...
                                X