Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pic from the vintage - with the pass wiper in the right place lol
    Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 03:03 PM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Headlamp washer wiring

I picked up a 2nd HLCS system for my IX coupe a while back - well a regular dual tank headlamp washer setup, plus the IX thin intensive clean bottle. The IX version re-uses the battery tray mounted windshield washer tank. I mention that because I have the harness, intensive clean wiper stalk etc lying around so I can study them.

If you haven't tried installing one of these systems, it's a bit confusing. There's some info online if you know where to look, but nothing really clear.

japandrew's original HLCS retrofit thread on e30tech, with missing pics

BMW HLCS install instructions (english at the end)
      non-intensive clean version

another version of the OEM intensive clean install instructions

Magazine PDF on E30 Zone

S14.net question on intensive clean wiring, with a harness pic

here's the wiring diagram I found 2-3 years ago that shows how the headlamp washer system is connected (I added the annotations, correcting some mistakes on the original)
      EDIT: This diagram is from the Haynes E30 repair manual

good luck figuring it out lol.

EDIT It's all working now. Will post a DIY with all this info.

Fortunately I have the 2 sets of harnesses to compare so we can match everything up.

EDIT found some really good HLCS info via MyE28

Last edited by bradnic; 02-23-2019, 02:10 PM.

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

In order to figure out that diagram we need to go back to the original wiring diagrams. Key to the whole thing is knowing that the wiper washer switch works by connecting to ground when you pull the wiper stalk. That's why BMW chose a brown wire with black stripe for the switch (brown is ground on german cars as you all know - right?).

So basically to interpret the diagram you need to follow the wire colors. You also need to figure out how the intensive clean switch works (the "S" button on the end of the wiper stalk).

On my vert the intensive clean pump never activated. Everything else in the HLCS works fine, but hitting the intensive clean button on the end of the wiper stalk just acted like pulling the wiper stalk towards you to spray your windshield. Kinda defeats the purpose of retrofitting all this stuff.

Here's a view of the tank and nearby wiring as installed

So anyway I dug out the 2nd HLCS harness and compared it to the one I installed in the convertible. Turns out the 2nd harness looks like the one in the S14.net post.

Ther 2 harnesses use different connectors, and some of the wires are different color in one section. Electrically they're wired up the same way though. Here are the main differences:

-- euro style connectors for the wiper motors on the 2nd harness. The wiper motors themselves have different connections on them too.
        newer motor for the 2nd harness

-- round 2 pin connector on the driver side with grey/white and brown/grey wires (that brown/grey wire is the key to the intensive clean function as you'll see). the as installed harness had a flat 2 pin connector just like the stock radio harness

-- wiring is to the 3 washer pumps is the SAME as the installed harness. there are 3 different wire pairs for each of the pumps
        brown/black and violet/black for the main washer pump
        brown/grey and violet/black for the intensive clean pump
        solid brown and solid blue for the back washer pump

-- same setup as installed, but the intensive clean pump never turns on.

EDIT: I missed extending a brown/grey wire from the driver's side 2 pin connector on the HLCS harness up to the PS terminal of the K10 relay. read on for more info.
        Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 07:14 PM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

The last part of the wiring that's different are the control unit connections. The only difference I see is that there are pink/yellow wires connected to pin 15 in my current setup and violet/black to that pin on the 2nd harness.

control unit connectors on installed harness - the pink/yellow, yellow/black, grey/white and brown wires come from the front harness

2nd harness with the newer washer connectors - top row is identical to installed harness, lower left has different color wires. the connector is rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise compared to the installed harness pic

Even though the color is the same between pins 15 and 53a on the 2nd harness, they are not connected electrically.. the pin 53a wires go to the washer motors and the others to the front harness. I don't think this really affects anything, but in this respect the color coding on the 2nd harness is confusing. I assume pins 15 and 53a get connected by the control unit when power is applied.

it's also interesting that the intensive clean brown/grey wire does not go to the control unit mounted on the washer bottle. on the 2nd harness it goes straight to the intensive clean pump all the way from the driver's side of the car. so basically the "S" button goes to the K10 intensive clean relay in the fuse box, and then straight to the intensive clean pump. this is the circuit that's missing in my setup.

So bottom line, here's the washer bottle control module wiring:
          85 - brown/black (washer stalk)
          58 - grey/white (power to washer system on driver's side)
          53 - black/yellow (to headlamp washer motor)
          53a - purple/black
          31 - brown (ground)
          15 - pink/yellow on installed harness, purple/black on 2nd/newer harness

just to add some final confusion to all this, the schematic I posted a couple of spots earlier matches my installed wiring, but not the 2nd harness. It even shows the violet/black wires bridged together between the intensive clean pump and the front washer pump.

Oh and since you're dying to know - Streuscheiben-reinigungsgeber means "lenses-cleaning encoder" per google translate - headlamp cleaning control unit.

EDIT: Other than the wire insulator color difference for pin 15, the harnesses are electrically the same.
          Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 07:17 PM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

:)

Great information! Now to find one of these washer units:)
            jm

Comment

Ugh, this is my dream build and was really hopping to see the m tech 1 installed. Definitely sub'd!!!
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

thanks! Need to get some other stuff out of the way and replenish the budget.. so hope to have it the MT1 done by September. I'll do some trial fitting before then. The parts definitely need some repair and prep before they're ready for paint.

All the hardware is finally here finally except for one lower reinforcement. I'm reusing my chrome bumper trim so no MT1 versions of those - front left end cap is NLA anyway afaik. Also gonna re-purpose my old re-chromed euro bumpers and paint them calypso. We'll see which look wins out!

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I like the headlight wiper write up. I will go back and read up on it.

I am glad you are getting your euro parts...
                  Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

thanks Raul.. more HLCS stuff for everyone as I figure things out.
                    quick review of the standard wiper setup helps explain what all the wires do.

I prefer this version as it shows everything concisely

You can clearly see the 4 stock wires on the wiper switch and K10 relay in the diagram and what they do, but for HLCS the important wires are the brown/black (washer switch input) and violet/black (fast wipe input).

This pic shows the wires on the intensive clean stalk, both on the connector and the switch body. note 2 things:

1) the colors match the stock drawing for 4 of the wires

2) there are 2 extra black wires. these go to the S switch at the end of the stalk. A simple check with a meter shows the switch is normally open (i.e. when you push it the 2 black wires are connected).

you already know the HLCS K10 relay has 2 extra pins, PS and TS. Note the numbering under the relay matches the stock wire numbers. This really helps you figure things out.

HLCS install requires you to wire those 2 pins. the stock colors for the wires are supposed to be Brown/Blue for TS, Brown/Grey for PS. This pic shows the mod, and also shows the stock wiper relay wires which is really helpful.

The 2 fuse box PS and TS wires then go to the black wires on the intensive clean stalk. Supporting info (other than I know it works)
                    - the stock wiper switch receptacle has 2 extra slots for the intensive clean wires, which match the 2 black wires.
                    - that's exactly what the headlamp wiring diagram shows - PS and TS go from the fuse box to the wiper switch, PS also goes to the brown/grey HLCS harness wire and eventually the intensive clean pump

So I did the switch part of this originally (you can see those 2 extra fuse box wires changed colors, because I was re-using some headlamp bushing wires I had laying around), but I didn't do the intensive clean pump connection.

So of course this never worked as intended, since the brown/grey wire is not getting from the S switch to the intense clean motor. Once I added that leg of the circuit everything worked as intended.
                    Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 07:22 PM.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                      -- as installed the 2 front pumps have brown/black and violet/black wires, and the back washer pump has the same solid blue and solid brown wires. Basically the front washer pump and intensive clean pump appear to be connected together, but the intensive clean pump never turns on.
                      Uhh, that's not true. take a close look at the pic on the left. that is a BROWN/GREY wire, exactly what's supposed to be there.

I've cleaned up the previous posts above, and everything is working correctly now.
                      My problem was forgetting to extend the brown/grey wire from the driver side headlight area up to the fuse box.

YES, the PS and TS wires must short via the S switch for the intensive clean pump to turn on.

so hurray for me, but I still don't know how that brown/grey wire got to the intensive clean pump lol.
                      Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 07:23 PM.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Picked up another BMW

work on the vert has stalled a bit due to distractions..
                        Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 07:24 PM.

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

good friend is in Munich right now.. check out the euro E30s! mauritiusblau vert with euroweaves, and an mtech2. yum

and.. a calypso exactly like ours! check out the black mirrors

Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 07:27 PM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

trial fitting the vert side skirts outside. I like it in black, and it looks pretty good with the jimmy hill..

Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 07:28 PM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

updates?
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'm anxiously waiting.

Comment

Working...
                                X