Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

post 33 should be stickied!
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Strömung cat back mounted with all new hardware! Sounds and looks great

Rear billies in as well. Eibach springs ready at powder coaters for pickup (bought all this stuff used as it was in decent shape and priced well). Thinking of just doing the fronts for now as I like the rear ride height as is.

Scored some 16" style 5s in amazing shape from TrentW. Picked up some adapters as well - may try them on this car. Not sure yet.

On the down side:
      - rechromed bumpers still haven't shipped. some issue with the clear not hardening properly.

- justin at eurointeriors is swamped. coming together but will take time.

- my steering rack died. so just placed an order for an E36 rack from Rich at Rack Doctor. GREAT guy over the phone. Also picking up an E30tech spacer kit for the steering knuckle. trying to chase down the airbag firewall mod that RobertK talks about. No details yet.

So may be a couple of weeks before this all comes together.
      Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:25 AM.
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Also picked up a brand new hardtop storage cover, part number 54 21 1 972 685, realoem #20 in the hardtop diagram. Can't imagine storing one of these without it - no wonder all the hardtops you find have damage. Even has pockets for the hardware, tools etc.

54211972685 e30 hardtop cover by bradn, on Flickr
        Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:26 AM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
          post 33 should be stickied!
          glad you found it useful! edited and posted in the appearance forum.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
            - my steering rack died. .... trying to chase down the airbag firewall mod that RobertK talks about. No details yet.
            RobertK's E36 rack swap thread here is great but did not have info on the original post describing the airbag firewall mod.

UPDATE: This post with pics on RobertK's thread covers the airbag firewall mod

RM European Auto has a great E36 rack swap DIY

Looks like with an E36 swap on an airbag E30 you need to modify the hole in the firewall for the steering shaft to go through, and the seal too.

here's a pic of the RMeuro web instructions for air bag E30s (just in case the site changes or something)
            Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

My euro-valance ship date keeps slipping.. Now out to next week. Bumpers are still at the chrome platers too. Can't get a straight answer on the delay.

Rack just arrived from Rack Doctor - going in shortly. Firewall mod will take time as I'm not pulling the motor again - already rebuilt it last summer.

Gonna clean up the lower engine bay while I'm at it, and disassemble the front end so I can get the euro wiring conversion done. I also have a euro headlamp washer setup so the wiring and hose plumbing for that needs to be done too.

S14.net has an amazing thread for E30 electric housings and connectors

There's a PDF from Matt Rhoads for the headlight retrofit with VERY detailed instructions here

RTSauto also has an overview eurosmiley wiring conversion article

US diving board fogs (left) and euro fogs (right) have the same connectors - no wiring changes needed

The turn signals in the US DB vs euro chrome bumpers have different connectors though - 3 pins on US DB, 2 pins on the euro turn signals.

EDIT: I ended up clipping the 3rd connection off of the car wiring so the plug would fit in the euro parking light housing. e30rapidic modded the euro turn signals to accept standard US wiring - very cool idea.
              E30 US vs euro turn signal connector by bradn, on Flickr
              Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:38 AM.

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Hey Brad,
                I'm assuming you'll be at Vintagefest on Sun..?
                You have more than one e30, rite?
                Which ride will you be driving? I'd really like to hear that exhaust!
                Look fwd to meeting you..
                CAPP
                (I have brill red convertible)

Comment

Hi CAPP

Callie (our vert) won't be ready unfortunately so we're just bringing the E46M3.. She needs another couple of weeks - we'd be happy to connect with you then so you can check out the exhaust and rest of the car. The other 2 E30s won't be ready til next year. The iX has an all new front suspension now but I plan to strip her down for a full rust repair. The 318is engine rebuild's been on the back burner but I will be working on it again soon.

I've expanded the work list for the vert since we couldn't get her done in time. Here's the pending work and updates:

-- The E36 rack is mostly in, with new E30 inner and outer tie-rods and PS hoses too. Took over an hour and about 6 bends to the HP hose so it would clear the steering knuckle and other hose going to the rack.. may need to mod the cover plate at the firewall too.

-- front billies and eibachs going in. haven't decided whether to use eibachs or oem in the rear - I like the rear ride height as it is.

-- still waiting on the 772 front euro-valance I ordered 5-6 weeks ago

-- the plater finally shipped the euro-bumpers today - supposedly. Once the euro-valance is here I'll get everything mounted up.

-- interior is progressing but delayed. should be finished next week! houndstooth+natur and rear seat headrests. quick pic of one of the 2 piece door cards Justin's put together:

-- new front and rear consoles planned. front's arrived but rear is back-ordered from Germany

-- retrofitting heated seat wiring, switches etc. Justin's adding the heating elements when he covers the front seats

-- found a husco but need the armrest recovered before installation

-- finally found a replacement OEM premium cassette. will be reinstalling next week along with an aux input mod

-- euro-smileys and headlamp washer system getting installed this weekend

-- MTech2 steering wheel also being fitted at same time as headlamp washer stalk - may have to adjust steering wheel angle anyway
                  Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:39 AM.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Couple of Justin's work benches. Love the detail on the 2 piece door card
                    the seat backs look amazing :-)

Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:40 AM.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I laughed at you you blurring out the key.

Comment

Hey Bradnic,
                        Not sure if I met you.. Were you in the Laguna Seca Blue M3?
                        If so, I met you, your wife & rambunctious 3 yr old.. Lol
                        Cute kid.. I was showing him Blackhawk videos on my iPhone

CAPP

Comment

Hey Capp

missed ya man. Mine was the red E46 M3 next to the laguna. we were hanging with Kyle most of the time and his Glacier Blue E30 coupe. your vert looks terrific!
                          Last edited by bradnic; 09-16-2013, 08:39 PM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Got the front billies and eibachs in. gonna leave the stock rear springs in place. am very happy with the stance now!

trial fitted the mtech 2 wheel and took her for a quick spin. no leaks, love the E36 rack!
                            next up is the firewall opening mod.
                            Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:40 AM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by noodleinjar View Post
                              I laughed at you you blurring out the key.
                              yeah.. I remember doing that... don't regret it either.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I just got a big boner... Love Calypso!
                                sigpic
                                1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
                                1987 325ic Black Vert
                                1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
                                1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

Working...
                                X