Resurrecting a full M-Tech vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
    I'm not into holes. Just want the car stock. yeah I know it looks cleaner without it. It's easy to pull stuff off and modify shit. Harder to keep things intact. Something about that appeals to me I guess. To each his/her own.
    There's nothing wrong with that. An extensively rebuilt stock e30 is very nice...but what do I know, I don't even have roundels ;)
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Nope I think they're overrated. The kit kinda the ruins the vintage look of e30's.
      I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
      Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

but you've got one in your sig..

what do you think of my calypso vert? check towards the end of the thread for plans
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

A mt1 euro bumpered calypso vert would set my soul on fire. And I'm mad I missed the Oak park show.
          I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
          Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
            Nope I think they're overrated. The kit kinda the ruins the vintage look of e30's.
            I would gladly take your car if you hate it so much
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
              My car came with the full-leather upholstery [SCHWARZ VOLLEDER 0318] option, so I'm going to get some new leather seat covers, hopefully nappa.

BTW, I found this translation for the interior options lingo on an M5 board. Full leather was an option that could be ordered with the M-technic cars, though most of the cars were sold with evo cloth.

Sitzleder = seat-leather (and centre door trim)
              Teilleder = half-leather
              Volleder = full-leather (including door cards, centre console etc.)
              Komplettleder = complete-leather (additional leather on dashboard etc.)
              Stoff = cloth

Sonderpolsterung = special upholstery
              Hi Robrez

sorry for resurrecting an old post of yours from your build thread, but I see you mention the 0318 upholstery code as full leather. I have a 0318 upholstery code too, and the vin lookup one of the bimmerforums guys did for me does show the same SCHWARZ VOLLEDER description. The strange thing is some old pics of the car show it had mtech cloth at one point. Just wondering if anyone else with 0318 has seen this. Come to think of it PKelly may have mentioned something recently.

UPDATE: traded some PMs with robrez on this. Quoting for the community

Originally posted by robrez View Post
              Regarding the full leather m-tech option code, I believe it was CactusJacks1 who told me that full leather was the basic option, hence the option code. But either the dealers 'upgraded' to the m-tech cloth option, or the customers opted for m-tech cloth when order. No doubt, to many people, the m-tech cloth'd cars were more profitable to dealers and desirable to customers, so most of the m-tech ended up with it.
              He goes on to say he ordered some of ErikJ's cloth as a future owner may want to have it. right on bro. Based on his note I'm gonna go the reverse route and do an extra set of leather door inserts. Still sticking with the MT2/evo cloth though since it was definitely on the car at one point.

btw I go to cali quite a bit (used to live in Belmont). will definitely be looking robrez, barry and cactusjack up when the time comes. PKelly too
              Last edited by bradnic; 10-19-2012, 07:09 AM.

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Brief update - lots of work planned this winter

- sourced top motors and hardware, replacement crack free dash, factory front exhaust including cats, 3.73 LSD, euro grilles and smileys, headlamp washer system. Will add a Stromung or Eberspacher cat back at some point, not a priority now (5 speed swap will probably happen before that).

- basic engine maintenance planned for this month (car's parked for the winter, so no real rush). timing belt, water pump, valve adjust.

- installing thermostat and reconnecting heater core (hopefully no issues there, but carpet is in fantastic shape which has me worried - maybe it was replaced)

- stripping exterior and interior this week. leather console and rear quarter panel trim pieces will be recovered over the winter.

- new front spoiler ordered from bmw

EDIT - forgot to mention dash replacement. while I'm at it I'll recondition the @#$#! butchered radio wiring harness. will also replace the heater and evaporator cores if necessary and install an r134 expansion valve.

I'll go over the bodywork this winter and try to avoid part replacement. may not be possible with the fenders though. rear tail panel is also low along the trunk lid. not sure what caused that but will need to be straightened.
                Last edited by bradnic; 10-19-2012, 05:44 PM.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

new arrival

one step at a time. from Germany. shipping was a bitch.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Yum Yum - makes my mouth water !!!!
                    [I

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                      - new front spoiler ordered from bmw
                      The front spoilers are back in stock again? When I tried to order a few months ago stock was "0" with no thoughts on ordering more up.

Comment

try ddmtuning

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I think your doing it right. Just take it one step at a time. Get it road reliable then work on the looking good part. It isnt cheap. You got it tho! Good work!
                          Work We Do
                          CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
                          http://www.catuned.com

Comment

Thanks for the kind words!!! *LOVE* your Henna coupe

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Still working on it. Upgrading and making it better. It's a joy to drive. Always do what makes you happy.
                              Work We Do
                              CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
                              http://www.catuned.com

Comment

started tearing the interior down to see where things stood. some very nice surprises and a few disappointments. as mentioned earlier in the thread the PO-C had parts of the interior redone in vinyl.

a full mtech with the 0318 upholstery has leather covered door cards, console, shift boot and ebrake handle. the vert rear seat panels are leather covered too. on my car each of the panels included a common handwritten code on them (the "ordernumber" that appears on the build sheet). one of the parts is actually signed too. was pretty cool to see that

here's the front console, which is in excellent shape

rear console leather's toast though, as is the ebrake and shift boot. will need some kevin chinn magic

detail on the map pockets - really nice stitching

the door pulls are just about perfect

front ash tray's leather covered too

this section of one of the rear door panels is in the worst shape

some of the good news - the original mtech2 fabric is still sitting behind the crappy vinyl the PO-C covered the door inserts with

what I found after pulling the door card. note the 2 piece door card.

and the panel after removing the vinyl.

fortunately when the rear seat was recovered they kept the build sheet which matches the car
                                Last edited by bradnic; 10-24-2012, 08:33 PM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X