Resurrecting a full M-Tech vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 era interior

wont post current interior pics - center sections and door inserts were re-done with an orange brown vinyl. I'll take a closer look but it appears the headrests and bolsters are also vinyl now. will be ripping all the seat covers out.

erik j's evo cloth arrived today - just beautiful. looking forward to some kevin chinn treatment. leather on front and rear consoles, shift and brake boot all need to be rewrapped/replaced.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

My resto is chopped liver? Lol jk. Best wishes, I dig the enthusiasm. My car was in similar condition when I lucked into it, so I have a lot of experience with the decisions you're making. I started out wanting a full mechanical and cosmetic restoration. But it can get a little overwhelming, not to mention expensive. After running the numbers, the 16k Macau Blue isn't a bad deal at all.

So, I put the 5speed swap, paint, and interior work on the back burner. Instead, I've concentrated on making it reliable, and a good driver. 4.27 torsen LSD and a full Dinan suspension have upped the fun factor. I've also made some subtle cosmetic improvements. However you decide to tackle it, I'm sure it will be rewarding.
      Last edited by robrez; 10-07-2012, 11:09 AM.
      sigpic
      January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        2006 era interior

wont post current interior pics - center sections and door inserts were re-done with an orange brown vinyl. I'll take a closer look but it appears the headrests and bolsters are also vinyl now. will be ripping all the seat covers out.

erik j's evo cloth arrived today - just beautiful. looking forward to some kevin chinn treatment. leather on front and rear consoles, shift and brake boot all need to be rewrapped/replaced.
        I remember seeing this car advertised online somewhere...ebay I think. Since you mentioned the colored inserts.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Hey there robrez! glad I caught your eye. Definitely looking forward to your advice and comments. your priorities sound right on..

totally agree on the pricing of that 16k macao. it's just so clean, and the mileage... if they're funded, anyone truly serious about these cars would be silly to miss out on it.

thanks for the link to your build. your console appears to have been in much better shape than mine. that goes for the rest of the interior too.

btw I just missed out on an MT2 wheel at a good price. will keep an eye out.
          Last edited by bradnic; 10-07-2012, 10:00 PM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            I remember seeing this car advertised online somewhere...ebay I think. Since you mentioned the colored inserts.
            yes it was on ebay. seller's a really great guy. his heart was set on a 69 911s before buying this car. 1 week after buying he got his dream ride. this car sat in a garage since then until I picked it up. he had no reserve and pulled the sale due to lack of bids. most likely everyone was getting ready to snipe the auction (you know, what til the last minute and bid)

I'm still trying to gather more history including older pics and info from the PO-C (see above - PO cali).
            Last edited by bradnic; 10-07-2012, 11:59 AM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I believe the CA owner also listed it on ebay.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

indeed in june 2006 (where it supposedly sold for $6,800, though there's no DMV record)
                he put it up for sale again in 2010 where it again sold for over $6k (the ad says he'd owned it since '04 so that previous sale must have fallen through).

you can tell from the listing pics that the car deteriorated in that timeframe. there's also some mileage issues. I'm trying to reconstruct the actual mileage from available info. It's probably in the 186k range. Odo's out so I've ordered a gear kit from garagistics. Plan is to reset to the calculated mileage. I really couldn't care less what it is as I plan an engine/drivetrain refresh anyway.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

any advice on the stripes? I like the damn things but they were clearly dealer added.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Pinstripes have always been a personal preference. You can always remove it but can't easily put it back. I see it as an early 90's thing. Many cars had a subtle pinstripe (instead of M colors).

Comment

Some more inspection today. observations (with some pics):

- lots of dents, some of them pretty big. other than that body's indeed in great shape. haven't pulled the mt2 bits off yet though. hopefully there's no damage lurking there.

- deck lid was replaced for sure. bad spray job. not sure whether to keep it and drill the holes for the 3rd light setup, or replace it with a correct vert lid

- the front mt2 valance is trashed. fiberglass repaired before. not worth fixing so I'll be shopping for a new one

- definitely an open diff in the car. was replacing it anyway per discussion earlier in the thread.

- lower engine bay cover behind front bumper is missing

- bottom of the engine's a mess. oil and fluid leaks. radiator shroud broken, wire exposed underneath. just hacked together it seems. will definitely do the timing belt just in case.

- 12.5mm sway bar in rear, about 21mm in front. is that right for an mt2?

- cruise control cable appears to be broken

- couldn't get the heat to work, engine running cold. good explanation - thermostat's probably been pulled and the damn heater core hoses are disconnected.

- as mentioned earlier, compressor's gone. not just it but the mounting brackets too. temp sensor in the radiator is missing, replaced with a plug. hoses left wide open so the system is probably corroded now.

- looks like a fairly new behr radiator

- not sure what the story is with the airbox. original one's gone and the inside headlight cover is missing (passenger side too). that aluminum bracket was to something aftermarket. anyone recognize the bracket?

- suspension's in pretty good shape. definitely billies in the rear. car has a lowered stance so I assume the springs are the correct ones on the car. not sure what kind of struts are on the car but she handles well.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Those look like bilstein dust boots on the struts, so they're likely bilsteins. Why do you want to make holes and add a third brake light?
                        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                          Those look like bilstein dust boots on the struts, so they're likely bilsteins.
                          I figured.. good to have confirmation thanks Vivek

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                          Why do you want to make holes and add a third brake light?
                          I'm not into holes. Just want the car stock. yeah I know it looks cleaner without it. It's easy to pull stuff off and modify shit. Harder to keep things intact. Something about that appeals to me I guess. To each his/her own.
                          Last edited by bradnic; 10-07-2012, 10:30 PM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Mtechs are overrated
                            Nice to see someone else in Chicago tho.
                            You know where I can get those stripes?

edit: Just read those were dealer stripes. We should do a shoot some time.
                            Last edited by CrusherCurtis; 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM.
                            I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                            Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
                              Mtechs are overrated
                              EDIT: you're being sarcastic I guess, judging from your sig ;-)

yeah I suppose they can be, but keep in mind the 771s were supposed to have suspension upgrades and LSD.

I couldn't pass this car up despite its obvious neglect. check out the opening post though for a link to this exact same model/color car in perfect shape.

I also have another vert with DBs that I'm converting to euro bumpers. I have an MT1 coming for it as well but gonna try euro bumper only first.

Nice to see someone else in Chicago tho.
                              yeah dude. PM me your contact info - out of town for a couple of days but happy to connect later in the week.

You know where I can get those stripes?
                              They're original to the car, and I may be wrong given the age of it, but they appear to be painted on. A dealer in California did them supposedly (or had them done anyway)

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

edit: Just read those were dealer stripes. We should do a shoot some time.
                                at some point.. car's a mess man. I'm gonna gut it.
                                got others though!! would love to see your car.

EDIT: Crusher I just realized I saw your ride at VintageFest. pretty awesome. definitely want to connect.
                                Last edited by bradnic; 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X