No announcement yet.

Resurrecting a full M-Tech vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no kidding. previous car listings talk about $2k+ engine work and upgraded LSD. instead I'm pretty sure I have an open diff, nothing special engine wise and what looks to be a missing airbox. WTF..

just as bad on the cheap repairs is spending money on worthless cr@p like caliper paint when proper maintenance needs to be done. if it wasn't a full mt2 I probably wouldn't bother. I've got a really nice vert already that my wife and I love. this is a friggin full MT2 man. irrational behavior is mandatory here.

btw car's elsewhere right now, which is why more pics are delayed.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

my dad's mtech2 came from factor auto and 4.10LSD so most likely yours did too.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

keith@e30ic agrees with you, so I now need to buy a 4.10 LSD. I have a 3.73 LSD lying around but don't think I should use it here, even if I'm swapping in a 5 speed.

i also found old pics that clear show the grill and trunk MT2 badges. of course they're missing now. started some pm begging on that front. hopefully the car and project will convince those that have an extra set to sell them to me.

oh and did I mention the a/c compressor's gone and the hoses are hanging around unsealed?
        Last edited by bradnic; 10-05-2012, 08:17 AM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

if you swap the the 5sp like i did. i ran a 4.10LSD. it was way too low geared. the 3.73 is the correct gearing.

apparently the 1993 cars came with R134a systems. im converting my car to that from r12. but u need to find a complete system in a 93 vert.
          Much wow
          I hate 4 doors

Comment

Well that works out then since I have the 3.73.

Already converted my other 91 to r134a this summer with help from the DIY thread here. Works great, but don't take shortcuts - swap the whole thing out if you don't know the history. I kept the stock condenser though, and don't regret it.
            Last edited by bradnic; 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Yeah I'd run the 3.73 with the 5 speed. Is the car silver with full black leather interior? (no m tech cloth), like Robrez's
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

it's like yours actually Barry, only neglected, no A/C .. and certainly no turbo. it had the cloth once as evidenced by old photos. been replaced with a leather job I'm pretty eager to make go away.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

So it's Macaoblau? nice. Do you know the production date by any chance? I have seen a lot of people reupholster leather/vinyl over the m tech cloth. I take it, it wasn't very desirable to the first owners and of course it stains/tears. They probably thought it was ugly.

I love mine! even though it's kinda loud. Every now and then, I'll get bored...until I drop the top.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

oh man. cars like yours are what it's all about. i have an m42 turbo I'm still getting on the road, but an mt2 macao turbo 5 speed vert and an E30 M3 are just off the hook.

5/91 production. here's the bmwvin option list

EDIT and here's a slightly more detailed readout from VIN research done by a gent on bimmerforums - note reference to SCHWARZ VOLLEDER (0318) upholstery, which per robrez' car and build thread is supposed to be full black leather

Last edited by bradnic; 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Mine was produced 5/31/91. I wish Keith or someone would finish the research he started and run the production figures for the 771 package for May, June, July and so on. Macao seems to be the most rare color but that's only for the first month of April. Who knows how many they made in the subsequent months. I've just been assuming BMW kept the same ratio between the colors but this may not be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                        So it's Macaoblau? nice. Do you know the production date by any chance? I have seen a lot of people reupholster leather/vinyl over the m tech cloth. I take it, it wasn't very desirable to the first owners and of course it stains/tears. They probably thought it was ugly.

I love mine! even though it's kinda loud. Every now and then, I'll get bored...until I drop the top.
                        That's really dirty for one of Barry s cars - if you look closely you can see a small fingerprint at the top of the windshield !! LOL
                        [I

Comment

Mine was produced 5/31/91. I wish Keith or someone would finish the research he started and run the production figures for the 771 package for May, June, July and so on. Macao seems to be the most rare color but that's only for the first month of April. Who knows how many they made in the subsequent months. I've just been assuming BMW kept the same ratio between the colors but this may not be the case.
                          Barry I just chatted with him yesterday. just sent him a note on this.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjacks1 View Post
                            That's really dirty for one of Barry s cars - if you look closely you can see a small fingerprint at the top of the windshield !! LOL
                            I'll take that driveway too ;-)

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I never stopped, just slowed down :). For a while, it seemed like the only interest was people copy/pasting the text into their ebay listing when trying to sell their mtech.

Keith

Comment

PO tells me they were contacted by a couple of people about the car. Fortunately for me the deal was already closed. Who knows maybe some folks on this board..

some pics following. gonna take time. PO-C (PO from California) had the car 2004-10. unfortunately they went low budget on maintenance and the interior. little bits missing all over, original decklid's gone along with the trunk lid liner. no jack, owners manual, A/C compressor. top mechanism's broken, top wont fold in the compartment properly so it can't be put down. cruise, heated seats don't work, no rear view mirror in the car. top's replaced but slashed, back window's opaque.

interior needs to be completely redone. all the full mtech interior bits are there though.

seriously reconsidering my approach and following Cabriolet's lead - strip it down and build it back up right.

tips/pointers welcome.

these dealer stripes are just awesome. I'm sure Barry CactusJack1 and others can educate me on who did them. not sure if I'll get them replicated when the car's repainted

will obviously do a full dash swap

hack job on the radio wiring. just breaks your heart. switches in the wrong place. there's no wiring to the cigar lighter. was obviously cut out. heated seats don't work either. given the recover job it wouldn't surprise me to find out the heating elements have been removed.

ghetto exhaust's coming off asap. horrendous drone.

Last edited by bradnic; 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X