91 325i First Bimmer build turbo fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 325i First Bimmer build turbo fun!

So I was bored searching craigslist, and I found a 91 3 series with a 128k on it, that was supposedly not running. Went to check it out, only had surface rust (thank god..) and some fried wires(Crank position sensor!). Only bad thing, it an autotragic.

So I bought it. 500$ and an hour and a half drive later, I'm thinking, "what the hell did I get myself into." Did some research for a few days, bought a CPS, and a manual swap and I fired it up. the ODO wasn't broken, and it ran pretty well. Went across the street, did some burn outs and a couple donuts, and drove her back in the shop for the rest of the winter.

GOALS- around 350whp. And a decent looking exterior. Doing this smart. Not cheap, but not expensive either. I have lots of time to search down parts on various forums.

NEEDED:
    Intercooler piping
    Random gaskets, flanges, bolts, and maintenance parts
    Coilovers and other suspension bits
    Arp head studs
    M50 manifold

Build list:
    Ms3x- purchased

Turbo- 7 blade "super" hx40. Internally gated but I will close it.

Condor supplied motor/trans mounts. Also got a ps delete. Will eventually buy all the other mounts.

injectors- 80# Siemens for e85

Manifold- need to find/make a manifold for the m50 e30

intercooler and BOV- 26x12x3 going to probably re-weld the inlet/outlet, but whatever. Got it for nothing practically.

Wideband- a spartan wideband.

Exhaust- 3 inch dump basically. Might do a flapper mod eventually if I want to drive around town. Might just cut it out through the fender(because racecar!), or do a 45 right infront of the passenger side rear wheels.

Clutch- F1 racing stage 4. purchased

Flywheel- Got it resurfaced.

Thanks for any input at all! Extremely appreciated!
    Build is going MUCH faster than I thought.
    Last edited by Rowleym; 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM.

Some pictures. Finally got them to work.
    128k on the odo!

fried wires. Bought a new engine harness.

manual trans and stuff. Along with my failed attempt at plasti dip.

some of the rust. Just some sanding.

the other rust spot. Probably the worst.

fixing some rust here. Going to respray the car the same color.

there was a hole here. Not anymore. Turned out pretty well.

overview of this bad boy.

good ol engine bay.
    Last edited by Rowleym; 11-08-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Is this your first turbo car? Prepare for shit to happen and read a lot about the basics of tuning in general to begin to get a grasp on everything that plays a roll with "turbo/SC." I would HIGHLY recommend learning the basics and understanding them before diving into making a large amount of power so quick.... Personally I would get the car running good and just enjoy it for now! Here are some technical info/opinions on setups:

Manifold - lots of crap out there, I would stick to a reputable company. If you build it, twin scroll is your friend.

Turbo - HX40 is a big bitch, you will have lag (-3/-4 no more than ~70psi) feed and minimum -10 oil return)

IC/IC piping - 2.5 piping is fine with 2.5" -3" core is more than enough for your power goals.

Exhaust - 3" is more than enough for you

Injectors - 800cc minimum for e85... I would find a nice set for pump gas before messing around with alternative fuels IMO.

Clutch - Ebay is hit and miss with their 6-pucks or "street disks." You get what you pay for in this industry...

Flywheel - I would have the stock one lightened IMO

Also,

Try this link - http://s1172.beta.photobucket.com/us...ary/dirty%2030
      Last edited by Cronopoulos; 11-08-2012, 07:52 PM.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Don't cheap out on the BPV/BOV. Synchronic BOV is good stuff. Check out Treadstone intercoolers, or call ETS if you're feeling baller.
        1989 325iC Zinnoberrot

Comment

cronos is a show off ;)

Comment

why not cheap out on BOV? I thought there was tons of people using knock off BOV? Any help on finding some cheap injectors? Should I just find some 450cc dsm injectors? Will meet my power goals on pump gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
              Is this your first turbo car? Prepare for shit to happen and read a lot about the basics of tuning in general to begin to get a grasp on everything that plays a roll with "turbo/SC." I would HIGHLY recommend learning the basics and understanding them before diving into making a large amount of power so quick.... Personally I would get the car running good and just enjoy it for now! Here are some technical info/opinions on setups:

Manifold - lots of crap out there, I would stick to a reputable company. If you build it, twin scroll is your friend.

Turbo - HX40 is a big bitch, you will have lag (-3/-4 no more than ~70psi) feed and minimum -10 oil return)

IC/IC piping - 2.5 piping is fine with 2.5" -3" core is more than enough for your power goals.

Exhaust - 3" is more than enough for you

Injectors - 800cc minimum for e85... I would find a nice set for pump gas before messing around with alternative fuels IMO.

Clutch - Ebay is hit and miss with their 6-pucks or "street disks." You get what you pay for in this industry...

Flywheel - I would have the stock one lightened IMO

Also,

Try this link - http://s1172.beta.photobucket.com/us...ary/dirty%2030
              Thanks a lot for the help man. Any specs I should go by for the flywheel lightening? Im doing a manifold adapter, which spools decently right? Im definitely making it split pulse because of the divided t4 on the exhaust housing..
              Im thinking just a cheap ebay clutch. its whatever if I have to replace it in a year. I only drive it about 3 months a year haha.. Any opinion on me needed head studs? Thanks

Comment

Quick picture of some megasquirt building. I actually enjoy it?
                And a quick picture of my turbo.

Also, just found out that I will be attending Marquette university school of Engineering. It's a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowleym View Post
                  why not cheap out on BOV? I thought there was tons of people using knock off BOV? Any help on finding some cheap injectors? Should I just find some 450cc dsm injectors? Will meet my power goals on pump gas.
                  Going cheap on a turbo build is asking for trouble with reliability and/or lacking in performance. As for BOV's you need one that holds boost without leaking and opens quickly when it needs to. Leaks and compressor surge will hurt performance and damage components.
                  1989 325iC Zinnoberrot

Comment

I see. Thanks for the knowledge man. Well I would like to rebuild some injectors just for the knowledge gain. And yes, I know going cheap is a bad thing on most parts. That is exactly why I spend some good money on my tuning, AKA the most important part. Any injectors i should lean towards? Any stock injectors that are about 500+ cc's? thanks.

Comment

Also remember that your tune will be crap if you have mechanical issues as well, so everything goes hand in hand.
                      1989 325iC Zinnoberrot

Comment

i see what you are saying. I will do my best sir. I have like 5 months to put this thing together haha. No rush at all. Makes for the right decision on parts(most of the time.. impulse buys suck)!!

Comment

If I were you, I would buy everything when you have all the money saved up. Then you can get all your research and planning done before spending money on things.
                          1989 325iC Zinnoberrot

Comment

well, I've been researching for about 3 months now, and I have found definite answers on a lot of parts, and this isn't my first turbo build.

Comment

Anyone have some insight for lightening the stock flywheel?

Comment

Working...
                              X