My Grandfather's Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little deeper than i wanted to go.

Axle housing was rusted on the inside of the tubes, fabbed up a flap sander and scotch brite plus nylon brush. All clean now.

Ready to setup.

Late 70's Scout II and Ford F150 share basically the same brakes so i bought a Ford caliper (smaller piston) to see if it would clear the front knuckle more and allow me to clearance less.

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Pictures don't work
      Pics work now.
      Looks good
      Last edited by efficient; 06-29-2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Picked up an axle housing spreader to make life easier, made in America yes please.

The timken bearing set I got is awesome and all the bearings are American except for the inner pinion bearing race which was made in India. I found an NOS American made timken race on eBay and grabbed it. It even came in a bad ass Inernational Harvester box.

Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Should have a '66 800 in my garage by the middle of next week. Needs tons of work, but I think it's worth it.
          Originally posted by Dozyproductions
          You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Did it. I may be in over my head, but this thread has inspired me, and I've wanted one forever.
            You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
              Did it. I may be in over my head, but this thread has inspired me, and I've wanted one forever.

Dude, that's awesome!! I'd love to see more pics, what engine was in it? What are your plans?
              Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Teaser pic of my current status.

Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

That sure cleaned up nicely. What on earth does an axle spreader do ?
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                    Picked up an axle housing spreader to make life easier, made in America yes please.
                    Same question - is this like the well known board stretcher, which is used extensively in construction?

Very nice looking finished axle housing by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                      That sure cleaned up nicely. What on earth does an axle spreader do ?
                      Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      Same question - is this like the well known board stretcher, which is used extensively in construction?

Very nice looking finished axle housing by the way.
                      Lol !

The carrier or diff housing is installed with about .015 inch preload and the axle housing spreader spreads the cast housing to make it easier to remove and install the carrier.

Here i am measuring the housing as i spread it.

Edit: wow that picture is lousy, sorry.
                      Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

It's one of those things that you're like, REALLY? DOES IT REALLY MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE?

Yes, yes it does.
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                          Dude, that's awesome!! I'd love to see more pics, what engine was in it? What are your plans?
                          Thanks Lorin, I'll get a project thread going at some point, maybe here, probably on Binder Planet. I've been taking lots of pics as I go.

I believe it's the 152 engine, it is currently missing the carb, distributor, transmission, and transfer case. It hasn't run in many years, so I'll be doing the re-oil process soon, the previous owner swears the motor is good, and not seized. The fenders are in the cab, and the PO is going to give me a hood and front clip when he swaps out the ones he's refinishing for his own '66. I'm both excited and a bit intimidated by the amount of work it needs, but my short term goal is to be able to drive it around town during the summer months. Ideally they'll happen by this time next year, but I have a lot of work to do between now and then.

Comment

I didn't know there was that kind of "give" in cast iron. Steel has some "memory" when loaded, but this is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
                              Thanks Lorin, I'll get a project thread going at some point, maybe here, probably on Binder Planet. I've been taking lots of pics as I go.

I believe it's the 152 engine, it is currently missing the carb, distributor, transmission, and transfer case. It hasn't run in many years, so I'll be doing the re-oil process soon, the previous owner swears the motor is good, and not seized. The fenders are in the cab, and the PO is going to give me a hood and front clip when he swaps out the ones he's refinishing for his own '66. I'm both excited and a bit intimidated by the amount of work it needs, but my short term goal is to be able to drive it around town during the summer months. Ideally they'll happen by this time next year, but I have a lot of work to do between now and then.

Binder Planet is good place i have the same user name over there. The engines are extremely robust, i'm sure it will run again. I ended up switching to a 32/36 weber from a 2002 on mine after fighting with the stock carb for a while, it was a huge improvement in my opinion.
                              Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                                I didn't know there was that kind of "give" in cast iron. Steel has some "memory" when loaded, but this is interesting.
                                I'm thinking next time I have to do emergency open heart surgery this would make a great rib spreader
                                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                                Alice the Time Capsule
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                                X