No announcement yet.

Check panel renovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would only really want it if you could do the check panel function, plus everything else you stated.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Hey ninjaotter, what sort of embedded controller will you be using to handle the analog/digital stuff? I am happy to provide hardware and software advice if you need some.

I saw that you said you were having trouble replicating the check panel functionality. Yeah, 12V stuff doesn't play nice with TTL and CMOS voltage level ICs. You can handle that pretty easily with some cheap BJT's though.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I have an early model 318i without the check panel. It just has a seat belt light. I've been kicking around the idea of having a panel that does oil pressure, oil temp, and volts. I was thinking about doing it with one of those small two digit digital displays, but this seems more capable.

One of the problems here is that you'll have a lot of people wanting different outputs from the display, so it seems like just about every one of them will be custom. This will take up a lot of your time, and pretty soon you'll want to get more cash out of it. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just how things go. That's why all these little guage things being sold cost a good deal, they take a lot of time to make.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my two cents. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.

Comment

Just wondering if you made any progress on this?
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Don't know how I missed this thread but I'm also interested in this, any progress?
            sigpic
            Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

My passion for this has been reignited and an as of yet unnamed forum member is signing on to provide some tools and funding to get these built. I'll post updates this weekend. Should have the electronics done in the next month or so. Then its software, housing, and manufacturing. I'm going to send out the first update to the email list I've got compiled. If you want in on that, PM me with your name and your email address.

Still want lists of sensors you're looking for or functions that you want built in. I'm not sure I can replicate the check panel, but I certainly can put the LCD there. I need to look at the circuit diagram again and my electronics reference manual.

Onward friends! I've been sick for a long time, still am, and I need something to do. I need to take my morphine, so I'm going to head to bed but I'll have something interesting to post soon!

Comment

Originally posted by thebutterson View Post
                One of the problems here is that you'll have a lot of people wanting different outputs from the display, so it seems like just about every one of them will be custom. This will take up a lot of your time, and pretty soon you'll want to get more cash out of it. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just how things go. That's why all these little guage things being sold cost a good deal, they take a lot of time to make.
                The end goal is to make it modular. You'll have the LCD mounted in the check panel bay, a small bundle of wires (4 or 5 I think), that run down the A pillar to a small box that has the processor and all the sensor connectors. That means you can plug in any sort of sensor you want (that fit the voltage parameters and whatnot), and set it up in the software (either via bluetooth to a phone/ tablet, or a serial/ USB connection to a laptop). That's the LONG plan. Short plan will probably be a couple different setups with the most popular sensors that people ask for. So version 1 is simple, version 2 is modular. Hopefully, people who buy version 1 will simply be able to buy the upgraded control box to get all the features for version 2.

Anyone who wants to join the cause on the hardware/ software/ manufacturing side feel free to PM me.

Comment

Subscribed!
                  1997 Artic Silver M3
                  CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

I have a 3D printer if you need any mock up parts
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                      I have a 3D printer if you need any mock up parts
                      What's the printing envelope/ work area? I could use some prototyping help on the LCD enclosure. I'm debating milling versus printing that part. I'm guessing I'll print/ mill the rear enclosure and the LCD mount, then have an acrylic cover that bolts/ snaps on the front. I'm still debating if I need to totally remake the casing, or use the existing check panel and modify it to fit our needs. Opinions anyone?

I very much appreciate the offer! I shall be in contact! I am thinking about buying a small Sherline CNC machine. Depends on external financing offers that are in flux at the moment. I have another business prospect that would involve me building or buying a 36 x 36 inchish CNC mill, so that would kill two birds with one router.

I've got the basic circuit diagram drawn up, and I'm getting ready to order some parts. I'm hoping to have a beta version in end users hands by March. This version probably wont be installed in the check panel location yet, its going to be focusing on the sensor selection, the processor, and the software side of things. Hardware -> Software -> Troubleshooting -> Miniaturization/ production work -> more troubleshooting -> semi final product. Still a long way to go, but I have the time, and I haven't had this much fun on a project since before I got sick.

I did get a new work bench set up in my apartment, so I'm not just working on my desk anymore. This project is more suited to an apartment than my workshop at the moment, plus its easier if I dont have to move too much haha.

Comment

This still happening?
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
                          This still happening?
                          Yep

Right now its just a funding issue. I have one investor, but I dont know if I can ask him to put up the amount required. If anyone wants to prepay, or put a down payment on one, I guarantee this will happen.

I have the circuits sketched out, the software mapped out, the general plans worked out. I just need to purchase the sensors and specific parts to make it happen.

Anyone interested in helping, PM me and I'll loop you in on the details. In the meantime, I need to run to walmart to get a battery for my calipers.

EDIT: Might as well update where I'm at and what I'm thinking.

For the first generation, I'll be using a display something like this: http://www.adafruit.com/products/498. Four lines of twenty characters of data. For the basic setup, I think it will monitor voltage, coolant temp, oil pressure, and a narrowband meter. This is in addition to monitoring everything the check panel normally monitors and alerts you if there is an issue. There will be a more advanced version for people that want to monitor boost, wideband, and stuff like that.

There will be a lot of other sensors available, like GPS, compasses, accelerometers, IMU's, and fun stuff like that. My goal is to build this so that its modular. Meaning if you dont want or care about the GPS functions, you dont need to have that part installed.

Below the LCD screen will be a 10 or 12 RGB LED display that can be programmed to do whatever we want. It could be a tachometer, or a g force meter, who knows. There will be high and low readings warnings (both an LED and buzzer), so if suddenly you run engine exploding lean, it will alert you, or if you suddenly are pushing 40lbs of boost when you only wanted 4, it'll let you know.

Anywho, that's just a summary of what I have planned. I need to go to bed because I really do need to get a ton done on this tomorrow. Anyone who wants to help, feel free to drop me a PM.
                          Last edited by ninjaotter; 02-23-2014, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I can't wait, every night me and wishno87 have a discussion about how cool it would be if somebody were to make this happen. Im down.

Ps: what sort of investment do ya need?

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                              I can't wait, every night me and wishno87 have a discussion about how cool it would be if somebody were to make this happen. Im down.

Ps: what sort of investment do ya need?
                              I sent you a PM. I just need some tools, electrical components, and supplies. I am planning on building a 3D printer and a very small CNC machine for producing circuit boards.

I also forgot to mention that, with the DELUXE model (with all the GPS and motion sensors) would let you do skidpad readings, 0 - 100 - 0 readings, 1/4 mile times. You can even set a start and stop point and race between them with the computer logging the results.

With the right hardware, what we can do with the software is nearly limitless.

I'm also planning on expanding into an augmented gauge cluster, mirror, and OBC. The whole system will be amazing.

People running ODB1 and ODB2 will also be able to tie into those systems eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X