No announcement yet.

Dad and Daughter E30 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind that the valves don't need to visibly bent to be broken. The moving parts in the head operate on tight tolerances and if something is a few thousandths off it can be bad.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

for sure check all the valves, can even have chips on the shafts or excessive wear. Might as well replace them while you're there.
      Good Luck
      Check the DIY thread for a lot of helpful topics
      "I wanna see da boat movie"
      "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Buy a complete rebuilt head here.
        Originally posted by codyep3
        I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
        2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
        1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
        1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
        2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
        2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
        2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
        2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
        2010 F650gs twin
        2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

1. Congratulations on your new car, you will definitely enjoy it once everything is said and done... just try not to get frustrated/discouraged when something doesn't go right

2. Wow... those pistons are pretty crusty. How many miles on the car??

There's this stuff they sell at home depot called Spray9 - it is literally like magic when it comes to stripping grease and grime. Spray it on, get out a toothbrush and it'll maybe take 5 minutes per piston/cylinder.

3. The way your timing belt 'broke' isn't too unusual. I was a mechanic for about 5 years, 1/4-1/3 of the broken t-belts I saw had missing teeth, the rest were snapped. Make sure the tensioner pulley gets replaced too!

Comment

Well we made a big order to Blunttech for all the parts we needed.

Head is going to the machine shop on Monday for hot tanking, inspection, replace the broken rocker, all new valves with valve lapping and deck the head

We need help identifying these few parts

What is this thing and where does it connect?

What is this thing called, where does it connect and do you have a part number? We need to order a new one

One last question.. We bought the upper gasket kit set that I believe is made by Victor Reinz. Is that a good head gasket or should I buy a better one? Which brand if so?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

buy a goetze or elring head gasket. The first picture is a mount for the bottom of the airbox. The slit in it goes on the top of the frame rail.

Comment

Originally posted by Xat1cZ View Post
                That car looks like a great start.
                +1 and her Dad is

Good luck with the speshial ride. I love the color!!!! Envious! :)

Me and my boy (9) work on my car together as well. He is already angling for it.... "You know Dad, when I go pick up my girlfriend I'd like to take this car." LOL
                Originally Posted by mpowerful
                Ive been looking at this thread ever since it got posted and every time I do my peepee tingles a little.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                1991 Alpinweiß Sedan.... mah mistress. <-click :pimp:

Comment

great project, only wish my daughter lived with me so I could be doing some similar. my current gals kids help all the time on our karts or on the cars.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia View Post

Head is going to the machine shop on Monday for hot tanking, inspection, replace the broken rocker, all new valves with valve lapping and deck the head

What is this thing called, where does it connect and do you have a part number? We need to order a new one

One last question.. We bought the upper gasket kit set that I believe is made by Victor Reinz. Is that a good head gasket or should I buy a better one? Which brand if so?

Thanks for your help!

Hey there! congratulations on getting the greatest car ever made. Your dad is really awesome for that. I am 16 and just bought a 1989 BMW 325i like yours! I really like your thread. By the way, I was doing maintenance on my air filter and that same exact piece fell out. I'm not sure the name of it, but the U shapped rubber piece is used to cushion a part of your engine, which I am assuming was your air filter box. My uncle was working on my car with me and mine fell out too.

Comment

Cool project! The last picture is a vacuum hose attached to the throttle body that goes under the intake manifold (part of emission control). If yours is leaking, you don't need another one unless you are set on going to 100% stock. I just used vacuum tube from Summit when mine started cracking and it works like a charm

Comment

Petunia you are the coolest r3v member yet. Can't wait to see you Rollin this thing. I also got into these through my dad. I'm currently working on a 89 325 sedan. No build thread yet. A lot of people say its the best year. As you've noticed already these guys and gals on here are like family. They are alway willing to give a helping hand and usually have great advice for you.

Here's a thread you might like reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia View Post

Thanks for your help!
                          Hi Petunia.. You have great dad ;)
                          Sorry I cant help much, because my motor is not same as your.
                          You might discuss with Steve (blunttech), and for sure he will help you.
                          I'm the one of blunttech customer which have 12 hours different time.
                          Made first overseas order also to him..

keep it up, you have nice thread build to subd.
                          :up:
                          [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------
                          [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------
                          Transaction Feedback

Comment

Dang, I wish I knew about E30's when I was 15.. Looks like you have a good platform to start off for a good project! Looks like you'll have a lot of fun, and a great time with your dad working on it.

Good luck on the build! :up:

Sub'd.

Comment

Stay away from victor reinz gaskets.
                              Current:
                              1989 325i
                              1988 M3
                              1987 325ic
                              Past:
                              2001 330ci
                              2001 M3

Comment

This is awesome, Good luck Petunia!
                                https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                                X