Dad and Daughter E30 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petunia View Post
    We have this weird whining sound coming from what sounds like the fuel tank area. Is our fuel pump bad?

Sounds like a failing fuel pump. Either that or there is a dentist's office up in there that you can't see.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Day 7:

Its ALIVE!!

My dad banged on the starter a few times while I was trying to start it and she fired right up!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

As you can tell she is having a tough time keeping an idle.. Any thoughts?

Well either way we got her running. Here is my first drive!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Next Problem:

We have this weird whining sound coming from what sounds like the fuel tank area. Is our fuel pump bad?

Well either way we are extremely happy. We bought this car for $600 dollars 16 days ago, have put about $850 into it and have a running car!
      Could be a plugged fuel filter, due to sitting for awhile,

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96297

Comment

do a smoke test It sounds like a vac leak ... get a cigar and blow smoke into the fuel pressure vac line into the intake or the vc vent hose. watch for smoke
        We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
        www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
          do a smoke test It sounds like a vac leak ... get a cigar and blow smoke into the fuel pressure vac line into the intake or the vc vent hose. watch for smoke
          With the car on or off?

Comment

With the car on get something smoky that you can see in there air and put it around the intake side of the motor. If you see it get sucked into any of the hoses you have a vacuum leak.
            sigpic
            "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
              Sounds like a failing fuel pump. Either that or there is a dentist's office up in there that you can't see.
              Well we went out an bought a new fuel filter. If that doesn't fix it then I guess we will need a new pump.

Comment

That noise is definitely 100% the in tank fuel pump, get a replacement as it WILL die

Great project! I have a Delphin grey (2 door though) too

Comment

Day 8 :

Pics as promised

We started with a lot of cleaning and painting :

Rebuilt Injectors from Maksinjection :

The Head was sent to the machine shop where it received a hot tanking, resurfacing, 3 angle valve job, New valves, cam seals, valve guides, valve stem seals, replacement of the broken rocker and a new rocker shaft

As you can see.. there was some damage when the timing belt broke LOL

Setting up the timing on TDC in preps for timing belt/water pump change :

Its been pretty fun putting this thing back together. Once my dad figures out the fuel pump whine and the idle issues, we will move onto making her look nicer.

Comment

Too cool petunia. Your the coolest little R3v sister on here that's for sure.

Comment

I have a question.Look at the OP's first post pic's,look at post pic # 5 at the pre casted tower for the rocker rod closest to the rear. Doesnt it looked stress cracked ? Did you guys get it repaired or get a new head?
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
                        I have a question.Look at the OP's first post pic's,look at post pic # 5 at the pre casted tower for the rocker rod closest to the rear. Doesnt it looked stress cracked ? Did you guys get it repaired or get a new head?
                        Oh yeah forgot to post that part. The cylinder head guy welded it up and repaired the stress crack for us. Its the same head that came off it.

Comment

this is cool

Comment

Oh yeah forgot to post that part. The cylinder head guy welded it up and repaired the stress crack for us. Its the same head that came off it.
                            Ok good didnt want you to have a head failure do to that.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

I hope my kid is a cool as you one day! Great progress. Subscribed
                              sigpic

Comment

My .02, on the intake pic with new injectors, you should clean the gunk on the inside or hopefully did after the pic was taken.

Also, regarding problem, time is ticking on that fuel pump. First sign of it going bad is high whine.
                                Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                                BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Working...
                                X