Olive juice *190 content*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olive juice *190 content*

Figured its time to post up my Baby Benz project.

190D 2.2 Diesel
    Autotragic
    Blue Green Metallic / Olive two tone

Have had this car sitting for a couple years as a side project & just started work on it earlier this year on and off. Originally was a friends fathers car that passed away years back. Family sold the car off to another friend, and he drove it to death. He offered it to me for free so why not. PO didnt put many miles on the car, but it definitely has its issues.

When I got the car interior was absolutely trashed tan. Headliner torn, seats unbelievable dirty, and the carpet resembled used toilet paper. The dirt was EVERYWHERE in every crack and crevice I could reach, even inside of the switches. Needless to say the dash was cracked and it just wasnt pretty. Sitting inside felt like I was trapped in an 1980's flashback

Mechanically the trans was toast, motor would not shut off, basic maintenance was well non-existent. Brakes were toast, vacuum leaks galor, and just everything was wrong with it. However knowing the original owner always babied the car, so I had faith that the PO didnt own the car long enough to cause irreversible damage.

Dont have any pics of the car before I started to tear it apart, but basically add faded paint and trashed interior with a nice oil spot under it.

First step was to get it right mechanically.
    -Trans swapped
    -Vacuum leaks found and fixed
    -Vacuum pump replaced. Discovered a nice dime sized hole in it.
    -New Glow Plugs
    -New serpentine belt
    -Oil pan gasket changed, found all the chunks of the vacuum pump in the pan
    -EGR delete
    -Replaced tensioner pulley
    -Diesel Fuel Thermostat delete
    -Simple wire tuck
    -Washer bottle delete
    -Magnetic Fan clutch inoperable so hard wired a switch to the aux fan, until I can find a suitable replacement.
    -LubroMoly Diesel Purged
    -Fuel, Oil, Air, Power Steering filters changed.
    -Fresh Fuel
    -Fresh oil

Now at this point the car hasn't been started for atleast 2.5 years. To my surprise she fired right up. Let it run to temp shut it off and checked for leaks or anything out of the ordinary. Sealed up nice and tight. Revs very happy, starts and stops strong, needless to say I'm very pleased.

Next was cosmetics, and what I'm more interested in. Early style 190s just dont have that "zaz" like early e30s. Interior and exterior looks 70s dated compared to late 190s. So I decided to update the look and feel to late style.

So far
    -Replaced the dash
    -Cleaned the seats as best I could
    -Carpet and Headliner in the garbage
    -Ditched the faded black trim for Bronze
    -Fresh tail lights
    -Still scrubbing the floor pans to get all the gunk out
    -Cleaned most of the switches inside and out

One of the things that bothered me the most about the interior was the cluster. Just couldnt look at it since it was so fugly something had to be done. Since the needles weren't illuminated I figured a simple solution to paint the needles orange, and replaced with amber bulbs. Easy on the eyes and looks awesome at night. Need to get some night shots.

Stock

Painted

Late bumpers front and rear, painted the USDM lights Olive to match. Added my junkyard special lip.

Couldn't stand the US lights anymore, so I opted for some DEPO euro lamps, and some bronze tint. Being the junkyard vulture I am, I scored some Centra Type 31's 16x8 +11 chrome peeling and all. Also snagged some gold emblems off 3 different cars.

Sadly 190s cant handle those low wheel offsets, but I'm not discouraged. After some research I discovered original AMGs had fender spacers to accommodate wider wheels. Hopped on fleabay picked up some 3/4in universal swaybar bushings. (Honda, Nissan) Spaced, beat, and pulled the fenders till I was happy. Knocked most of the chrome off which was a PITA. Sprayed the wheels Almond. Picked up some cheap tires to test fitment. 205/40 & 205/45 and this is what I ended up with.

Springs are unknown Eibachs, chopped a coil. Spring pads rear none in front. Still debating on ride height, but current height seems daily drive-able. Magic of pshop

Still hunting for struts and shocks short enough. Only solution I've come up with is to shorten e36 struts with an e30 collar and run iX struts. Rears are going to take saab 900 shocks & yes e36 struts are direct bolt on.

I just started to work on Olive again a couple days ago. Power washed the bay and front fender wells & need to finish the underside. For now need to snag some late side skirts and cladding.

Current plans
    -w124 4pot BBK upgrade
    -Finish interior
    -Wire system
    -Paint?

Its a slow build, no idea what direction im going in. Nothing is set in stone so just having fun with it. Almost there still rough, but nothing I cant handle.

If I brought my e30 back from waffleswaffleswaffles

Confident I can breath new life into this forgotten 190. Going to enjoy the MPG and no emission.

Money Spent so far about 500$.
    Last edited by E30_Pare; 10-08-2013, 11:07 PM.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

:o
    Singer Vehicle Design.
    Quan@singervehicledesign.com

Comment

Love the 190, one of my favorite 80s classics besides the e30. PLEASE stick with cream wheels, that looks AMAZING!!!!
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Thanks! I dig the colors going on, but I want to change it up if & when I decide to hit the paint booth. Leaning towards the s13 two tone. Always loved this paint scheme and vowed to never own another 240.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

I love it, especially the wheels.
          1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
          1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
          bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

lookin good. Do you still have the e30 as well?
            '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
              Love the 190, one of my favorite 80s classics besides the e30. PLEASE stick with cream wheels, that looks AMAZING!!!!
              this pretty much sums up my thoughts

88 325iS(Cam'ed m20)
              P2 S60 Daily
              IG: @ratherbefisting

Comment

Originally posted by thatphysicsguy View Post
                lookin good. Do you still have the e30 as well?
                E30 is gone. Wrecked, but a neighbor decided to resurrect it. I would of saved it myself, but just that car has always been love hate. To much good and bad history with it so just had to let it go. Maybe one day I'll try to buy it back.

Named her Christine

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                  Money Spent so far about 500$.
                  Very impressive... I can't seem to do much at all with $500!

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Originally posted by GillesBigCowboy View Post
                    Very impressive... I can't seem to do much at all with $500!
                    A lot of the budget goes to new parts where new parts are needed. In the end im trying to stay under 2k

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Found a pic during my move. Trans was being held on with some wire for a 50miles journey.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Very cool! LOVE the headlights!!!!
                        Originally posted by LJ851
                        kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                        ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                        #teamross
                        Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

i'm going to need to pick your brain about suspension things some...
                          1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                          1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                          1974 2002tii / stock
                          2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
                            i'm going to need to pick your brain about suspension things some...
                            Interdesting. 190 solutions arent pretty. Ive seen guys weld on a 1/2in top plate to make it a true e36 bolt on. I know GC has a true coil setup, but unless this diesel was a track monster it would never happen.

Always on a hunt for parts. Especially these Fifft Tails in all red. Found an ebay seller that one has one which drives me mad.

I'd have no problem blowing my budget to slap these goodies on.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

I picked up a set of 4-piston 400E brakes from PYP for $60. I may pull those springs and cut 'em to fit.
                              1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                              1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                              1974 2002tii / stock
                              2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Working...
                              X