Clear All

1991 318is resto

Picked up an E30.. a 318iS, DOB 07/01/91. I would have liked a m3 but my
    wallet didnt like the flared quarter panels... Anyway, I may have left some
    common sense behind as I headed out to check out this 318iS. I even rented
    a trailer, just in case I bought it, so I could drag it home...This was the
    result...

I did kinda check it out though...

Long story short, I bought it and brought it home...

I sat and looked it for a while, still kinda amazed Id bought it...

I hadn't even test drove it as the brakes were not connected...
    The PO was in the process of changing the brakes when he realized he didn't
    really have the $$ to dump into this car... The engine ran though and
    sounded good... So I backed it into the driveway and started having a look...

Now, Im not a mechanic and Ive never played around with cars at all but I
    bought the car determined to bring her back from the abyss. So a closer look
    was in order... Sooo I pulled out the DS seat...

That was kinda cool so I pulled out the PS seat...

and then some other bits...

After a long fought battle the carpet made an exit and then some more was
    yanked...

Now the more astute among you may have noticed a wee bit of steel among
    the rust there... Im scratching my head now wondering if I would have
    been better off spending the $$ Id just spent on bringing the kids to
    Disneyland...

Both wings were rusted a bit in the bottoms so I took them off. I did manage
    to NOT break about 3 of the bolts.. Those bolts with plastic nuts only came
    off one way: broken. So I decided to get organized and put together some
    info on parts and stuff Im gonna need...

Back inside the cabin I had a feeling that sound insulation was hiding some
    nasty surprises so I started scraping it off for about an hour with a
    screwdriver...

...until I remembered Id just bought an air powered chisel the week before...
    you know, the kind made just for that sorta thing...

Idiot....

The rest of the cabin looks good though:

So with my "new" 1991 318iS starting to shed weight in a drastic fashion Ive
    committed myself to a pretty huge project here. Ive always wanted to do this
    but I am not a mechanic, havent played around with cars at all except for
    the most basic of stuff and I have a small small garage.

Im also not rich so budget restraints will temper my enthusiasm at times..

But Ive decided to restore her best I can, keeping her stock in almost all
    regards.

Most, if not all of you, will think Im screwed and I probably agree. But
    here we go...

It will be a LONG journey...

Congrats! Looks like you've already put both feet into this one. Keep chuggin :up:
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

:-)
      1. looks like a solid platform to start with! It is hard to keep a 318is stock, consider yourself warned. Good Luck.
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
      IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

I don't think you are in rust trouble. Those are not bad spots and should be fairly simple to replace. Looks like its pretty contained. I think you've got a good start to a nice project. I just sold my 318is that I brought back from the grave. It was buried a lot deeper than yours is. You wont regret it. These cars are very rewarding to work on and even more so to drive
        sigpic

Comment

Consider me subscribed! I just grabbed a 91 318is as well, so I'm looking forward to comparing notes.
          91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

OP - Great Start and a nice pick up. The paint looks good for the most part, so it looks like you will have a fun project ahead.
            Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

You should start a project thread as well ... different forum than General Technical. You also may want to check out this by another forum member: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=159148

Gerta
              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                You should start a project thread as well ... different forum than General Technical. You also may want to check out this by another forum member: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=159148

Gerta

I looked but didnt see any forums that fit my project... Can you point me to it?

Thanks

Comment

The Project Forum is here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=148
                  91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

Looking good. rust is not that bad.

Do you know what kind of wheels are those? Looks like they fit nice and are hub centric

Comment

Looking good so far, are your plans to turn it into a dedicated track car?

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments guys...

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                        Looking good. rust is not that bad.

Do you know what kind of wheels are those? Looks like they fit nice and are hub centric
                        No idea on the wheels - but I know Im not keeping them. Planning old school BBS wheels... I'll have a look at them once off and let you know..:)

Originally posted by capn View Post
                        Looking good so far, are your plans to turn it into a dedicated track car?
                        No, though that would be awesome! Its gonna be my "show" car so to speak. No winters, falls or springs...Just nice weather and fun rides... You know, all shined up at DQ or some E30 get together...I have a 2005 E46: thats my DD but she doesn't see winters either...:p

I really bought her for the build and to look at her sitting in my driveway one day, all finished up. I want to see her come back from the dead - and don't let the pics fool you, she was a few years away from a scrapyard...
                        Last edited by Split_S; 10-21-2013, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Well the adventure continues...

After removing the front bumper cover, which was a fairly straight forward
                          affair: remove screws and slide off, an epic battle was fought with both the
                          front and rear bumpers... The front finally gave in once common sense was
                          applied instead of brute force and stupidity..

Loosen the 2 bolts on the bottom of the bumper. Those facing you hold the
                          metal support plate to the bumper... They dont loosen.

Here, on the far left, you see where the bolt screws into...

The rear bumper however, hung on and eventually needed an angle grinder
                          and some strong language to finally be persuaded to let go.

The bolt heads had to be cut off as no amount of torque, loose nut or cursing
                          was getting them off. As a result I had to cut the tow hook to access the
                          bolts - no great loss - I wanted it gone anyways. Something about a tow
                          hook says to me "This car is shitty, it will probably break down..." So none of that on my car...

Removing the front bumper revealed some very slight damage to the right side shock mount: evidence of a thump sometime in the cars past:

As best as I can tell that is the extent of the damage..The left side mount
                          had no damage at all and there are no ripples any where else or evidence of
                          repair anywhere....

With the bumpers off I could have a looksee at the metal behind and this is
                          what I saw:

I need to get a welder...

Oh.. and I need to learn how to weld.... :(

Comment

Those are TRM wheels.

Looks like an awesome project! Your rust should be the least of your worries as it doesn't look too bad. Watch out for your wallet.

Welcome to the addiction.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
                              Those are TRM wheels.

Looks like an awesome project! Your rust should be the least of your worries as it doesn't look too bad. Watch out for your wallet.

Welcome to the addiction.
                              Thanks! It is an addiction for sure...My wallet has been laughing at me since I bought the car!

Well work continues... The car seems happy in my garage, kinda like its
                              thinking "Man its about time!".. Maybe its just me....

The M42 is a nice looking engine. I look at it and compare it to my M54 in my E46 and see so many similarities..

One thing I am thinking about is the seasons. Being in Canada, winter is not
                              too far away and I have to plan my work around the fact its gonna be really
                              cold really soon... I had planned on doing body work all winter but I have
                              scrapped that idea as I dont have ventilation in my garage to deal with the
                              dust all that bodywork will generate. So the plan is now to get some welding
                              done before its too cold to work with the doors open, redo the rear
                              suspension in all its glory, yank the engine and at some point rebuild some
                              components of the engine. Maybe, just maybe, I may pull the dash out but
                              that is scaring the sh*t out of me right now....

Here is the state of the bottom of the car as we speak:

Remember my comments on Disneyland?... :roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X