88' Zinno M3 (Progress Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 968Reckless View Post
    hope the original lock strip and gasket are going back in. If you planning on going with new stuff RIP to you lol .
    Just saw your thread where you mentioned issues, and saw you have aftermarket glass. I have original oe glass from the original manufactuerer (bought one of the last 3 windshields in america from the original oe manufacterer in 2015 before bmw switched to a new company) so I am guessing whatever issues you had were related to poorly done aftermarket glass. But still curious to what you had issues with on the off chance I encounter it anyways.
    Last edited by jhaurimn; 06-30-2020, 06:44 PM.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post

Just saw your thread where you mentioned issues, and saw you have aftermarket glass. I have original oe glass from the original manufactuerer (bought one of the last 3 windshields in america from the original oe manufacterer in 2015 before bmw switched to a new company) so I am guessing whatever issues you had were related to poorly done aftermarket glass. But still curious to what you had issues with on the off chance I encounter it anyways.
      This might have been the issue, curious to see how yours goes.
      /// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

It is done. 5 years after buying the windshield and gaskets, and 3.5 weeks after having the old windshield taken off, everything is back together. :)

So, I will admit I did make a mistake that I should have done more research on before. When I chose to leave primer exposed for the windshield to adhere to, I was not aware that you had to use a specific kind of primer, epoxy primer. I did not do this, and realized the next day after the initial paint. Because of this, I went ahead and re-masked the car (im a pro now), and put base and clear on top of the primer as well.

This gasket was completely missing from my previous windshield. (it was not pushed all the way in on some spots, this was fixed after I noticed in the picture)

Bonnie checking over the windshield install instructions, making sure the glass guy does it right

Thankfully I had an experienced glass guy who worked with me on doing the windshield the as bmw suggested. He also didnt mind my helicoptering which I couldnt help doing considering this was 5 years in the making. The windshield set quite well and we opted to not strap anything down to avoid the chance of a stress crack, considering the glass is now NLA. (thanks oba-- im mean bmw)

Also, I helped set the glass which was nerve wrecking as hell, but everything was placed perfectly on the first go. Im still waiting for my automotive glass ceritifcation in the mail because of this.

Last edited by jhaurimn; 07-07-2020, 04:40 PM.
        Current:
        1989 325i
        1988 M3
        1987 325ic
        Past:
        2001 330ci
        2001 M3

Comment

Looks goooood now get it out on the road
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment