• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful house and area and also car!
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
      Seriously. I hadn't looked through this thread or any of the photos in a long time, and going through the thread its been quite the transformation. More than I even remember.

Good to also see some older names (relative to when I joined at least) still on here, hope all is well man.
      That's usually how it goes. Really a good looking little car you have.

Thank you - all is fine here, nothing new, just hoarding away. lol
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

LMK when you are ready to take more pics ;)
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          LMK when you are ready to take more pics ;)
          Yeah.....about that.....

Current:
          1989 325i
          1988 M3
          1987 325ic
          Past:
          2001 330ci
          2001 M3

Comment

Well.....been awhile since I had any updates on the car. This one isnt a pleasant one, but we will get it taken care of.

Car had a aftermarket windshield that was installed very poorly. I finally got around (after 5 years of having the windshield) to getting the old one removed and prep for the new one. There was the tiniest spot of rust peeking out from under the rubber seal near the cowl that I was concerned about.... silly me.

In this picture you can see the little spot that I could see initially. Tiny hole next to drain.

​​​​​​​Probably the worst of it was up here

As you can see, due to the shit install done likely from the shit bodyshop who did a mediocre respray in the past, we got more rust than expected. And in some unusual spots.

But we cant change the past, and can only move forward. There was only one hole from my iniital inspection that can be welded shut (near drain hole on pass side), and the rest appears to be surface rust. I will be grinding everything down this weekend to get a better idea of what we are dealing with. I think I will be able to get away without having to cut anything out and patch repair it....but I wont know until I get everything down to metal. If all goes well, will get small hole filled, por15, primer, then paint. (will leave strip of primer exposed for the new adhesive to grab onto)
            Current:
            1989 325i
            1988 M3
            1987 325ic
            Past:
            2001 330ci
            2001 M3

Comment

Hope its not too bad! Glad to see an update after a year!
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Hope its not too bad! Glad to see an update after a year!
                thanks bud, look forward watching your mr2 build :)
                Current:
                1989 325i
                1988 M3
                1987 325ic
                Past:
                2001 330ci
                2001 M3

Comment

ugh I have this looming in my future- glad to see this thing still getting love
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

With a bit of gentle wire wheel it'll probably turn out to be pretty OK underneath
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

I didnt waste any time getting to work. After grinding off all the adhesive, I was met with mainly surface rust and nothing more. I have the one spot near the drain hole to weld shut, but everything else was ground down to the point that I feel confident it will not get any worse.

These pictures are after I applied por15 metal prep, which turns the rust darker. So it looks a bit worse in these pictures than it really is.

And after por15 is applied.

I have a buddy with a welder who will help me weld the hole next weekend. So I will grind down that section of por15, weld, reapply por15, then will primer and paint everything before putting the new windshield back on.
                      Current:
                      1989 325i
                      1988 M3
                      1987 325ic
                      Past:
                      2001 330ci
                      2001 M3

Comment

Good news, was able to fill the one rust hole in the cowl. Was a bit tricky as the metal is thin.

After the hole was fixed, I re-por15'd the fixed spot and a spot i had to grind off for a ground for the welder

Taking NO chances with overspray lol

Aaaand after. Only one spot with the new paint will end up being visible outside of the windshield gasket (which was the one spot I could see before as well). Will be very hard to notice if you dont know its there. Primer was left exposed as I saw this done with CurrusDei's restoration from a high end body shop. Figured they knew what they were doing, so opted to go that route.

Working on getting the sunroof panel straightened out before the windshield is put in. If this doesnt work, I will try a heat gun.
                        ​​​​​
                        Current:
                        1989 325i
                        1988 M3
                        1987 325ic
                        Past:
                        2001 330ci
                        2001 M3

Comment

good on you for tackling that job. does not look fun.

A
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Im glad it wasnt too bad to address.

Rewarding the diving in method of fixing the problem!
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

hope the original lock strip and gasket are going back in. If you planning on going with new stuff RIP to you lol .
                              /// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by 968Reckless View Post
                                hope the original lock strip and gasket are going back in. If you planning on going with new stuff RIP to you lol .
                                I have a brand new windshield, and new gaskets. Installer has done m3 windshields before, what issues did you run into?
                                Current:
                                1989 325i
                                1988 M3
                                1987 325ic
                                Past:
                                2001 330ci
                                2001 M3

Comment

Working...
                                X