No announcement yet.

1971 BMW 1600 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those "dead coils" are actually helper springs in a coil over world. They are there to keep the springs seated when in decompression. Cutting them will lower the car, one spring coil diameter per coil cut, but don't cut past the last dead coil.

Either way, best to get the best springs for the job, not so easy on a cool old project like this.

EDIT: Subscribed sice the title was about "surf racks". Very nice job, "patina" is awesome, but in reality it's an item used for it's intended purpose. Wish I knew how many miles I have put on e30's, but the darned odometers are always broken :(
    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 05-07-2014, 08:51 PM.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
      Photo of the Spax Springs. The part numbers on these springs are correct for the SSX 50mm lowering springs.
      are those four rear springs
      cars beep boop

Comment

and/or are you positive you have the fronts and rears right? I poked the internet a little and it seems like people get them backwards with some frequency.
        cars beep boop

Comment

I noticed the springs say front/rear on them, so it would probably be hard to goof that up. As Kronus implied, they do all look identical to me as well. If anything, the two outer springs almost look ever so slightly wider than the two inner ones, which would really be throwing things off, but that could just be from the photo.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
          --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

The two on the right have 1 more coil if you look closely. And yeah they're labeled, I see that now. And the fronts are in the front struts...

Weird.
            cars beep boop

Comment

Haven't gone to the warehouse in a few days, but a few parts are starting to show up here. I think the headers might actually show up tomorrow as well. Pretty excited about that.

First, a fire extinguisher for the 02:

This will fit right under/in front of the driver's side seat. I hope to never use it, but with only 6 fuses and even fewer relays, I just don't trust this 43 year old car.

And some new tires for the 14" Enkei wheels. These should do nicely. My bank account cries today.

world renown Harry Potter expert
              sigpic

Comment

So I received a large box today in the mail. They did indeed contain the headers, though I was surprised that the seller sent me the originals and not the copies!

Here are some photos. I wasn't able to get a good diameter on the primaries, but they roughly look to be 1 1/2 - 1 5/8" while the collector is 2". This sort of answers my original question. Looks like I'm limited to 2" exhaust tubing!

Photos for those following along:

In the end, I have original headers and though they don't follow the 1-4 & 2-3 pairing which is supposedly better for torque, I'm still going to use them.

F yeah!
                sigpic

Comment

In the end, I have original headers and though they don't follow the 1-4 & 2-3 pairing which is supposedly better for torque, I'm still going to use them.

F yeah!
                  Nice headers! It looks like 1,4 are paired and 2,3 are paired or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                    Nice headers! It looks like 1,4 are paired and 2,3 are paired or am I missing something?
                    On m10 valve covers, the word "ZUNDFOLGE" translates to firing order of the cylinders. The firing order is 1-3-4-2.

I know what you're saying when the first and last cylinder are paired to the same collector, but in case of firing order, the piping should be different to maximize torque output.

Or at least that's how I understood it from other's explanations.
                    sigpic

Comment

Been busy with work, but managed to get the headers on. I didn't fully attach them to the head... merely a test fit. Few photos:

I took the headers apart and tinkered with the fitment. This photo is of the two parts that connect directly to the head. The last piece (not pictured) is a collector/downpipe.

From up top:

And a more-complete shot of what the engine bay looks like these days.

These photos are very grainy and of low quality due to bad lighting. I should really invest in a good camera.

Also had a meeting with my exhaust guy. He will be building me a nice 2" stainless steel system all the way back. I'll go ahead and buy a resonator and muffler for this job. Should be pretty nice and quiet when done! But not too quiet. But still pretty quiet.
                      sigpic

Comment

Love this thread phreshkid. I like the progress, and the Nixon watch.

Comment

New (correct) grommets installed in the brake MC:

do you have the part # for these?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So I received a large box today in the mail. They did indeed contain the headers, though I was surprised that the seller sent me the originals and not the copies!

F yeah!
                            I take it they came from someone we both know?
                            Yours truly,
                            Rich
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by Rigmaster
                            you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                              Love this thread phreshkid. I like the progress, and the Nixon watch.
                              Thanks man!
                              Here is the actual watch. My excellent GF (at the time) got it for me. It's the only one I wanted and I use it every day, in and out of the water.

Nixon's team-designed, custom-built watches, bags, apparel and accessories enhance life without sacrificing style. World-class gear for creative independents.

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                              do you have the part # for these?
                              I believe you can find these on e9 coupes, as well as e28 (?) 5 series cars that use remote brake fluid reservoirs. Mine came from Ireland Engineering. They will be able to help you out as well.

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                              I take it they came from someone we both know?
                              Yep, he's the one. Let's just leave it at that.

I have a tentative date set with my exhaust builder for next weekend. Then I should be able to get the dizzy on, make sure the motor is in time, valves adjusted, and add all fluids. She should run after that.

Remember these wheels?

I did some work to them and they now look like this:

and with tires:

I think the centers are too light a shade of silver/grey. But I've already put in a good few hours into them. I'm too lazy to do it again. They will stay as they are for now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Wheels look bitchin

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                                --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X