• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, torques everywhere!
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

dang. It just goes to show, building an exhaust that makes more power than stock is hard, but building one that is worse is pretty easy!
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

interesting. You sure this is just an exhaust problem? You're talking a 50+ ft-lbs difference between that stock car and JB's from 2k-3k.

And, IMO, there's no way that 344whp car doesn't have cams in it! ha.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is. merge placement can have a huge impact, as well as his 3.5" piping. he makes a little more top end, but sacrifices low end.

I wonder though, is the area lost on the torque curve greater or less than the area gained in the HP curve?
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
            interesting. You sure this is just an exhaust problem? You're talking a 50+ ft-lbs difference between that stock car and JB's from 2k-3k.

Well keep in mind they are two different S54s in two different cars but yes, i believe alot of it is the exhaust. Keep in mind/look at the 344whp car and JBs. Very similar low end. As far as the cams go, cant say for sure but The motor was swapped in by TRM when the original one that came with the car blew up on their dyno (rod bearing failure?) and was presumed bone stock. (had stock manifolds on it before exhaust was swapped over).

Originally posted by nando View Post
            I'm pretty sure it is. merge placement can have a huge impact, as well as his 3.5" piping. he makes a little more top end, but sacrifices low end.

I wonder though, is the area lost on the torque curve greater or less than the area gained in the HP curve?
            looks similar 'ish.

another comparison: Bone Stock Car to SupaFast 344whp car

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
              I think this also!
              Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
              another comparison: Bone Stock Car to SupaFast 344whp car
              THat "bone stock" car has at least 20whp more than every "stock" m3 I've seen I can't remember one making more than ~280whp stock.

Its all pointless discussion anyway, dynos show increases, not "true" whp
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

The bone stock is tuned :P. Refer to my dyno thread. It did 276whp 100% stock.

All the stock cars i see pretune do 260-280whp.

And i know 'every dyno measures differently' but i have 50+ cars on that thread all on the same dyno ;)
                Last edited by 328ijunkie; 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM.

Check Us out on Facebook
                Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                Full Product Line Tuning
                OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

people like to play internet dyno experts, but really Dynojets are pretty consistent and hard to fudge.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nice hp & torque curve. Must be a blast to drive rippin it at 8k.
                    Did I miss a video....???
                    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Just thought I'd update this. The car has taken a few steps backwards in awesomeness, but I'm doing what I want to do with it. I'll get some better pictures as things progress a little more. The interior is gutted and ready to finish cage, just waiting on some free time so I can get the suspension done to make it a roller.

Shitty 325is parts car on the right, m20 bottom end of left. Head is off getting machined.
                      spece302 by Jonathan braswell, on Flickr

Booster back in, lines for ABS back in.. I wish I hadn't cleaned up the engine bay so much, I'm definitely lacking some bracketry
                      spece301 by Jonathan braswell, on Flickr
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Spece30?
                        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Yep. Really strong region down here in the southeast, so I'm really excited to get into it.
                          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

brake bias question

hows your brake felt, after used e46m3 front and e46 325 rear?
                            good bias or too much front bias?
                            what's brake MC that you used?
                            [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------
                            [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------
                            Transaction Feedback

Comment

I didn't plan on updating this thread, but things have changed a lot. After all but finishing the spec e30 build, I decided/was convinced that having a spec e30 and not being able to afford to run in consistently for a whole season would be pretty frustrating. At the same time, some friends that already run spec e30 were looking to build a faster e30 for endurance racing. They had an s50, I had a chassis with a nice cage, so we decided to build a proper e30 race car.

The baseline formula is as follows:

s50
                              Nasieg 5 lug (e46 m3/e39 540i brakes)
                              MCS 2-Way Remote Res dampers (600/800 springs/GC Plates/AKG Poly everything)
                              17x9 Apex ARC-8

Later on:
                              -Aero that actually works (not random panels cut off and pieces of plastic riveted to the bumpers)
                              -Spherical rear subframe with adjustment (right now bending trailing arm to specs and no adjusters)
                              -Adjustable pick-up points to play with geometry
                              -S54 again!

We pretty much have everything,except for free time at the moment, my summers are pretty busy. Also, we just keep running into dumb issues... Anyone have any input on these?

1. Caster/Wheel placement. I'm like 1/2" forward in the wheel well right now and I'm not sure why. I have brand new control arms, brand new AKG offset bushings, not sure what subframe I have in the car but I will need to check and make sure it isn't bent. This is my first time using offset bushings in stock lollipops, the car had Treehouse stuff before.. Whats the deal?

2. Steering coupler binding after e36 rack install. I re-built the coupler with a Dungeon motorsport spacer kit, the spacers and hardware are corret, but I'm bottoming out the coupler and feel it bind in the steering. I could probably gring out a little pocket in the coupler to clear, but would like to find another solution first. Anyone had this issue?

I'll figure this stuff out, just haven't gotten the chance to look much into it and won't be able to for a week or so... So any input from someone who has encountered similar issues would be appreciated in the meantime.

20160715_165324 by Jonathan braswell, on Flickr

20160801_201955 by Jonathan braswell, on Flickr
                              Last edited by Jb325is; 08-02-2016, 05:11 AM.
                              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Awesome. You made a wise decision because there is no better value for $/lap and experience than endurance racing. Are you building to WRL?

Comment

Working...
                                X