No announcement yet.

'88 325is M30 street car-->S54 -->S50 -->M54 Enduro Race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use it in a lot of race cars and it's been great. I would prefer to put Redline in it but we didn't haven any 50wt.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Did you retain DBW?

Comment

Oh yeah, never considered getting rid of it. The pedal doesn't fit as nicely in the e30 as people made it seem though. Definitely part of the swap I'd like to improve upon later.
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Somebody need to make some sort of pedal kit...

I would never reccomend removing DBW. You can't do it with the stock DME anyway.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Got the exhaust built the other day, me and a few friends were scrambling the get the car done for SCCA SEDIV autocross on Saturday. We worked until 11:30 Friday night to finish the exhaust. When we finally did I took the car out in the business park and it revved to 5k rpm and lost all throttle. So now I'm working on diagnosing that. The car seems to be down on power, maybe limp mode or something, then as the rpms climb it will drop throttle response completely until you cycle power. It has 8 codes for cam/crank sensor stuff, but I'd like to narrow it down a bit before buying 3 $100 sensors.

Anyways, here is the exhaust. It's 3.5" all the way back, pretty tight on the body and ground clearance is still not great. Sounds crazy though. I'll get video's when I can rev over 5k

exhaust 2 by jbraswell, on Flickr

exhaust by jbraswell, on Flickr

Flares should be here in the next week or so, ordering parts to complete 5 lug kit this week and I just agreed to buy some pretty awesome wheels. 17x9.5" ET13. And I swapped my 215/45 Continentals for 245/40's
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
              Flares should be here in the next week or so, ordering parts to complete 5 lug kit this week and I just agreed to buy some pretty awesome wheels. 17x9.5" ET13. And I swapped my 215/45 Continentals for 245/40's

Comment

you got the error codes? what are they?

yeah if the cam/crank sensors are borked then it'll definitely go into limp mode. I just want to be sure it's not my DME causing the issues! :)
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Codes are:

P0012
                  P0017
                  P0340
                  PO365

All cam and crank sensor codes. I haven't seen many cases of cars throwing all these codes at once in the research I've done. I also can't find any instances where people have had symptoms like mine with cam and crank sensors
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I found a couple things with a quick google search. I don't have a mapping for the generic P0xxx codes to MSS54 codes though.

I saw one thread that suggested replacing a sensor, another that said the cams were out of time. what specific crankshaft sensor code was it?

could it be a wiring harness issue?
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'll get the exact codes when I get home. I know one is intake cam sensor, one is exhaust cam sensor and another is cam/crank sensor correlation, but I can't remember the last one

It could be anything at this point. I haven't had the time to really look into it. From the searching I've been doing the problem I'm having is pretty unique in that the car doesn't shut off or run rough, it just loses all throttle input until the car is restarted, but it still idles just fine. I think the car is still driveable in limp mode, so I don't think that's what is going on. There was a swap e36 I think that had a similar issue and was some sort of EML problem. I'm going to mess with the car and do some more research this evening

EDIT:

Thought I found it! I found the a blown fuse that sends power to the cam sensors and MAF. Replaced the fuse and all of the codes were gone, except idle control valve codes. But the car still does the same thing!
                      Last edited by Jb325is; 08-26-2014, 04:15 PM.
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I have narrowed down the problem to TPS stuff, I can replicate the issue on start up by unplugging one of the TPS sensors. Problem is, there are three- one at the pedal, one at the actuator and one at the throttle bodies. I may have a bad sensor or two.

Nando, do you think the TPS/Actuator/pedal need syncing with a GT1? I am not positive that the pedal came from the same car the engine came from, and the ecu is definitely from another car.

I can't wait to get this sorted so I can post a video, the car just sounds ridiculously awesome
                        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

The pedal shouldn't make a difference. I've swapped it between run sessions on track and it doesn't really change anything.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Any idea on the ecu? It could be wiring too I suppose. Its just weird that it works sometimes and only up to a certain RPM. Although lately it's been happening at lower RPM's, it did it right off idle earlier today. I also found today, that it does have some signal from the throttle, because it will rev to just under 1500 RPM's.

I read a section in a PDF about the mss54 today and it mentioned modes 0,1,2 on the pedal, which refers to the status of the dual hall effect sensors inside the pedal. normal (0), single hall sensor failure (1) puts the car in limp mode, or failure of both hall sensors (2) which only allows the car to rev to 1500 rpm. The interesting thing is, my car revs to redline in neutral, but not while driving. Is anything different in the pedal or ecu for an SMG car?
                            Last edited by Jb325is; 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM.
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I think the throttle self calibrates when you turn the ignition on.

Your DME is definitely not set for SMG. IIRC I used a 6 speed binary as the basis. Either way, the difference is basically 2 bytes and some error codes.

I'd look at the sensors, there are two on the throttle (one on the shaft, the other on the motor). I'd be surprised if the pedal went bad.

If any one of them goes bad the dme goes to limp mode. The other errors could be a coincidence.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

any updates on this?

Comment

Working...
                                X