Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo Inka 4 Door: Stripped & street legal rotisserie build + Powdercoating Pr0n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What crank is that? Cool build so far!
    Originally posted by LJ851
    kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
    #teamross
    Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Thanks man. S52 crank
      Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Originally posted by eduTechnic View Post
        As I understand it: Pre heat the roof skin, quick tack welds, cool off ASAP after welding. What could go wrong?!
        ^this

Great thread this far!

Comment

Originally posted by MyE30 View Post
          ^this

Great thread this far!
          Ha thanks we'll see how that goes when I get a bottle and learn me some TIG'n.

The plan, and that's all it is so far, is to bore out the M50 block to 86mm and put me about 3150cc

Comment

Looking into e85. I have a Walbro 255lph pump and 60# injectors. I need to look into this setup for ethanol use. I know the stock pumps are good for quite a bit of power already from other builds on here (read: Kamotors).

Just writing down something to look into further when I consider cam/fuel/CR:

Clean the tank really well & paint
            Check if 60#ers can take ethanol
            Rally Road Fuel Rail
            Look into running greater than 10:1 compression 86mm pistons with e85.
            Look into cam profiles and dynamic compression ratios.
            Find a good cam builder.
            Get a parts list for a cheap meth sprayer kit.

Link to LS1Tech discussion on static vs dynamic CR

"Static is very important, as is dynamic. They are both important, but more so on your setup because now we have to get the cam right so our effective (aka dynamic) is turbo friendly.

Dynamic will be lower, it's just a mathematical number we use to design cams. It's one of many aspects we consider, but typically we can predict future compatibility with fuels based off that number. Don't forget, a stock ls7 is 11:1, but dynamic is in the high 7s. Change the cam and we bring dynamic up to mid to high 8s on pump fuel.

What cubic inch is the engine?

As far as methanol, it's completely compatible with e85, and very much needed to cool it."
            Last edited by eduTechnic; 12-04-2014, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I would not paint the inside of the gas tank, the E85 will eat through it. Just clean it real good and it will be fine. I ran E85 in my stock tank for 2 years with no issues.

The fuel lines will need to be changed to neoprene or some type that is E85 compatible.
              Along with stainless fuel filters.

600cc injectors will limit your HP with E85 as you will burn 30% more fuel.
              Not sure what the walbro 255 is rated for with E85.
              Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Thanks I didnt know about lines and filter Otis. I meant the outside though--be rather difficult to paint the inside! Looking at a few fuel load calculators it seems 730cc/min would be the min for ~550bhp even with reg gas. Might want to get 1000cc injectors i suppose. Not sure if that's the goal yet, maybe less. You ever roll v - band flanges on your manifolds? I plan on picking one up in a few months.
                Last edited by eduTechnic; 12-04-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Nice work! Love the oven.

Comment

Some supr srs fabrication going on here, hope you can handle it. Made a little progress last night. Would have made more if my jerk 4-year-old son wouldn't have barfed 3 times after midnight. Poor little dude ;)

I bought all this kind of pricey aluminum angle and then went back to the roofing section in Lowes, and found these 118" flashing bits for tree fiddy each. Done deal.

Measured once, cut twice (made one 10" too short by accident, derpaderp)

Then used a punch with some wood underneath to mark where to drill. This actually made fitting the pieces together easy since the top piece's divot fit right on the other's.

I was going to rivet, and I probably will, but I wanted to lay the frame out quickly so I just used self-tapping screws, which are the bomb

Getting it together was a lil b getting things square, not having it fall over, then getting a screw in with my impact wrench...

Made a little test fit and it should compress the insulation only slightly. Time to get it sheeted tonight with the 20"x50' roll of flashing.

Comment

I like projects that lead to projects.
                      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                        I like projects that lead to projects.
                        Exactly! Pay over a grand powder coating everything on the car or learn something new, troll local craigslist for old ovens & fridges, and build it yourself.

Comment

Got the tub built and put in with my bro-in-law (pictured). Many many rivets and one HF gun were sacrificed to the powder gods. It was a bit too wide so I had to take one side's fiberglass out. Because I'm cheap the tub's sheet metal is super thin flashing and does whateva it wants.

I didn't have the wiring lengthened or the controls/temp probe mounted on top/side/dunno yet, or even the door-to-fridge gap sealed off with some oven door gasket rope yet (incoming from Amazon), but it went up to 450 degrees in about 10 minutes, and the only place you could feel any heat on the outside was the window. Cool to the touch everywhere. I'm pretty satisfied with that. Left it on for like 20 minutes, no fire. Winning

I totally forgot that both elements don't run at the same time so the bottom-right element was red hot while the other was off? I've heard only one element stays on for heat maintenance. I'd like to build a heat shield over the one element so there's no temp spikes on the bottom right of everything that goes in.

Now on to the media blasting cabinet from the smaller fridge...

Comment

Originally posted by eduTechnic View Post
                            Thanks I didnt know about lines and filter Otis. I meant the outside though--be rather difficult to paint the inside! Looking at a few fuel load calculators it seems 730cc/min would be the min for ~550bhp even with reg gas. Might want to get 1000cc injectors i suppose. Not sure if that's the goal yet, maybe less. You ever roll v - band flanges on your manifolds? I plan on picking one up in a few months.
                            If you plan on a dedicated E85 setup, 1000cc for sure.
                            You looking to get a V-banded turbine housing?
                            Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
                              If you plan on a dedicated E85 setup, 1000cc for sure.
                              You looking to get a V-banded turbine housing?
                              Good deal. Yeah I'd like for the whole system to come apart quickly and run a 2 to 3-section exhaust as well.

Comment

Oven is about done.

Added the oven seal/rope with RTV sealant

Used the oven cover to protect the 'lectronics. The fixture hanging out up top is the light. I plan on making a place for the light soon.

I didn't see the point to mounting the controls somewhere pretty, so in the side they go so I don't have to lengthen everything just to have them on the front/top of the "fridge."

Ran it up to 575 degrees on broil and stopped since a bit of the clear silicone was smoking. I'll be redoing the window with RTV instead of the cheap, clear stuff. I can't believe I didn't just grab one of two tubes of the stuff I had lying around...

However, it did hold a steady 400 degrees for 20 minutes and the thermometer synchd up with the controls so I'm stoked, just need to make the rack at the top and I'll be ready to coat.

Comment

Working...
                                X