No announcement yet.

M20 B3x Naturally Aspirated Stroker build past, present and future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice, glad I saw this. it's amazing how much more information there is on M20 builds these days. Part of the reason I just decided to stop on M20s was because I knew I'd have to totally redo my entire motor from the bottom end up. If I knew back then what I knew now I wouldn't have done anything like what I have now in my 2.8.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's cause the guys from down under never gave up on M20's. Been following since the start, keep up the good work digger :up:

Comment

thanks guys, i like the m20 due to its simplicity and rawness
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

thanks guys

did the install today and everything fits and runs well.

unfortunately it is a fair bit quieter than open trumpets but still better then stock and dbilas which are too quiet.

definitely alot more power than the socks which lose about 15-20whp but i never drove this setup without socks so i dont know whether it will match the dyno run of 152kw with open trumpets no socks.

still got to find a better sized K&N filter and make a heat shield.....

Last edited by digger; 06-30-2017, 10:32 PM.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Loving the skills digger. Normally don't say much on this site, but why are you LHD in up-side-down land?
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              Loving the skills digger. Normally don't say much on this site, but why are you LHD in up-side-down land?
              LHD? the car is RHD

Comment

Looks fantastic, the finish you have got on the plenum looks like a factory build. I can't wait to see what it produces on a dyno.

Can I ask what brake booster you are using?

Cheers
                Leigh

Comment

Originally posted by eb224 View Post
                  Looks fantastic, the finish you have got on the plenum looks like a factory build. I can't wait to see what it produces on a dyno.

Can I ask what brake booster you are using?

Cheers
                  Leigh
                  thanks, this is the stock booster and MC, im not expecting any gains with this over the open trumpet run ill be happy if its the same.

i plan to get it retuned only a quick and dirty tune about 30min worth tops, i will make a simple bellmouth to be able to test without a filter (bellmouth is needed to ensure the flow doesnt go over a sharp edge and hurt airflow thats is why sometimes removing the filter makes less power as the test is flawed) and one without the lid to see if there is a difference.

im waiting for my new K&N still so i imagine this might happen 2 weeks from now.

moving to fix the exhaust now

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                    LHD? the car is RHD
                    Never dealt with a RHD e30. Had no idea the brake booster and reservoir was still on the LH side of the car.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Never dealt with a RHD e30. Had no idea the brake booster and reservoir was still on the LH side of the car.

Crazy ass linkage across the back of the firewall.
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                        thanks guys, i like the m20 due to its simplicity and rawness
                        Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                          Crazy ass linkage across the back of the firewall.
                          not good for pedal feel.

not only are the headers compromised due to steering linkage the intake is compromised due to booster. double whammy

the hood latch is also still on the same side. cheap German engineering....
                          Last edited by digger; 05-05-2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

That is why you need a Tilton pedal assembly with remote reservoir. Haha

Loving the build can't wait to see the torque curve on this.
                            sigpic

Comment

one way i know the car is faster than i have been used to recently is the inadequacy of the current brakes. will probably need to upgrade the fronts to a massive kit and rebuild the rears....cant fit that big of a setup under the 16" alpinas but a small spacer does allow a couple kits (MAssive, UUC etc)

Comment

I'd be really tempted to run an acrylic cover over that airbox instead of the CF. Show off those trumpets..
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X