M20 B3x Naturally Aspirated Stroker build past, present and future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
    I actually was going to add if you would chime in as well since I know that you do a lot of tuning, but you responded before I could edit my post. haha Thanks for the input!
    It's one thing to make power, but through experience, making that power for 12+hr at a time is a different animal. Love my mates down under, still curious though.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      It's one thing to make power, but through experience, making that power for 12+hr at a time is a different animal. Love my mates down under, still curious though.

I'm curious to see what digger or anyone else with experience has to say. This is method of tuning is not just for reliability concerns, but for scenarios on a race track where you are not operating at full throttle; for instance you have corners that you cannot be completely flat out in, if you "lift" to not hit the car in front of you, or any other scenario that is again, dynamic, and not just a flat out pull.
      sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

i've only every had mine on a eddy current dyno so you can load it up real heavy or really light.

last full tune i had was last year with the first Alpha-n for the dbilas setup. it needed no adjustment whatsoever on the street it was brilliant straight off the bat

sometimes the very light load and throtle transinets need to be done on the street but above this it shouldnt need it unless you are getting some serious ram air
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          Well, how loaded was the dyno? 10% for rolling road?

I don't want to muddy up this thread too much,
          Most of my experience is with motorcycles that are AphaN and a Dynojet dyno. I hardly ever loaded the dyno, sometimes drag the brakes to to slow the passing of a cell. All the Ducati sport bikes had functional ram air and even after data logging on the track we hardly ever had AFRs far enough off to warrant a charge.

I am speaking about fuel only here, timing adjustments were left on the known conservative side.

I also don't think interia is superior in any way, just pointing out a skilled operator can do some good work on one.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            i've only every had mine on a eddy current dyno so you can load it up real heavy or really light.

Interesting, I didn't even realize how many different types of dynos are out there. I had to search that to understand what you meant. haha They come in both hub and roller, but that type of dyno seems to be the better option regardless of the configuration.

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
            All the Ducati sport bikes had functional ram air and even after data logging on the track we hardly ever had AFRs far enough off to warrant a charge.

I am speaking about fuel only here, timing adjustments were left on the known conservative side.

I also don't think interia is superior in any way, just pointing out a skilled operator can do some good work on one.
            All hail to the Ducati hahaha I would think that with the bikes it would be even more crucial since you spend very little time WOT and is mostly finesse. A friend of a friend was a factory Suzuki moto GP rider and had "don't do it" as a sticker covering the red-line region on his shift light/rev counter. I'll have to take a photo of that if I ever go to his house again.

And a skilled operator is just that, a skilled operator, ya know? I just thought it would be a good bit of info to know how he is testing the motor since it does make a difference and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering...
            sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

last full tune i had was last year with the first Alpha-n for the dbilas setup. it needed no adjustment whatsoever on the street it was brilliant straight off the bat

sometimes the very light load and throtle transinets need to be done on the street but above this it shouldnt need it unless you are getting some serious ram air
              Yup. I tune on DynoJet, it has load capability. Makes it nice when you can hold an RPM/speed and get the map to stay in the block. Makes over all tuning better, but as you said, light throttle/cruising may need some touch up. I tend to do it just opposite. Tune for idle, light cruising/drive ability, then go to the dyno to brush it up and do a power tune. People keep asking why the 24v ITB's weren't on the dyno yet, but wasn't easy to get the stock Motronic to behave. Would be good for light load in one gear, then if bogged a little more than normal in the next the AFR's where everywhere. Had to find a balance, now I see why everyone wants so much for Alpha-N tunes, RPM and TPS aren't enough info for the ECU in reality, so it just takes time.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Interesting, I didn't even realize how many different types of dynos are out there. I had to search that to understand what you meant. haha They come in both hub and roller, but that type of dyno seems to be the better option regardless of the configuration.
                dyno dynamics are roller type and the most common used in oz by far, the other common type here is mainline.

hub would be ok for cars that struggle for traction and long tuning sessions. the cost for a power run on a hub type was 2-3 times that for a roller due to the setup so unless you spend alot of time on them....

a hub dyno will produce prettier numbers though....
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

since I know that you do a lot of tuning
                  46 pulls in 4hrs yesterday, but the results were fantastic.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Did I mention I like this thread?

Comment

What is new, digger?
                      Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

suspension is taking precedence ATM

Comment

Originally posted by digger
                          accumulating bits and pieces

Where'd you get this beauty from?

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                            Where'd you get this beauty from?
                            burns stainless

Comment

bump
                              Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

sub'd

incredible work.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Working...
                                X