No announcement yet.

89 325i Cirrusblau Metallic m30 Project - Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quite the task you've got ahead of you. what will you use to weld it all back together?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      quite the task you've got ahead of you. what will you use to weld it all back together?
      Yeah, tell me about it! HA!

I bought an Everlast 140ST DC Inverter setup. It runs 110v and 220v stick and Tig. It will not do aluminum though. I am going to try and use 7018 1/16" rod to do plug welds. The welder will run as low as 10 amps and I read that 20-30 amps is what is required to do thin sheet metal like this. The lower the better.

When I am done cutting up the radiator support, it won't be plug welds so I will have to do stitch welding there. That is where I am going to have to do tons of practice on scrap work. It won't be butt welds at least.

Between this, my job, a wife, a sick mother, building a couple ARs, worship at church and studying to take my CPA exams, I am busier than I want to be. Blessed, but busy. /waffleswaffleswaffles
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Love seeing more m30 swaps. good luck with the build!

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
          Love seeing more m30 swaps. good luck with the build!
          Gotta join the club somehow.

For the cylinder head, I am going to double check my valve adjustment settings and rerun the leak down test. It's possible I didn't do the adjustment properly. Should be easier to do on the stand anyway.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Every thing is easier on a stand haha.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Why don't you just make the core support bolt in for easier removal down the road?
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

What position is your m30 mounts? In position 2 and 3 you can use a e28 radiator. Are you looking for more capacity radiator?
                Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by xAZxE30x View Post
                  Why don't you just make the core support bolt in for easier removal down the road?
                  That is the plan too. Forgot to mention that. Doh!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                    What position is your m30 mounts? In position 2 and 3 you can use a e28 radiator. Are you looking for more capacity radiator?
                    I am not sure really. They are the .de mounts. I will take a pic.

I just want more room for a puller fan setup. That is the main goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Hey Raul. Here are the mounts I bought. Got them from Jay@ExtremeAutos.

I think they are position 2.5.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Those should work for you.

On my blk m3 with the s38 it is in position 3 with two 10" electric pullers fans. For the front of radiator I am using a e30 factory AC fan. The radiator that I am using is a e28 m5.
                        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                          Those should work for you.

On my blk m3 with the s38 it is in position 3 with two 10" electric pullers fans. For the front of radiator I am using a e30 factory AC fan. The radiator that I am using is a e28 m5.
                          That's great news. Thanks for the info. I still need to get out to your place and see that beast.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

As I went out and started to do some removal of the various engine bay pieces, I made a discovery.

Here is the passenger side frame rail. Looks nice and straight.

Here is the driver's side.

The part above the engine cross member can be saved I believe, but the ripples in the piece before it (towards the front of the car) needs to be replaced too. Fortunately, the piece isn't too expensive. About 100 bucks. The piece that I think can be salvaged is another $220 and I am going to try and avoid that expense.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                              I decided to order part number 4 and 10 above from ECSTuning as well as a new coolant expansion tank for my wife's 2000 MKIV Jetta. In VW's infinite wisdom, they molded the coolant level sensor in to the expansion tank and therefore that piece is not replaceable. However, after 14 years and 175K it finally gave up the ghost. Fortunately it was only about 25 bucks. The remainder of the parts with shipping was about $110.

I will be attempting to pound out the forward most piece of part number 3 in the picture above. Considering the engine cross-member still bolts up fine (ie. straight), I hope everything will just slip together as it was designed and I can plug weld my way to bliss.

[rant]
                              In other news, I lost my job. Well, I didn't so much as loose it as I got let go for making my boss feel bad by improving his business. After he lied to my face and said everything was fine on the previous Friday, he let me go a week ago tomorrow.

No matter, a stressful period of my life is now over and I can go to work for people who appreciate what skills I offer. No more than 10 steps out side the building and receiving my final check, I got a call from a bigwig in the industry asking for me to come to work for her. No, she didn't know I just got let go either. How's that for timing? :D That interview is tomorrow morning. And the following Wednesday from the Tuesday final payroll day, old boss told my co-worker that he "might have made a mistake by letting Paul go."

[/rant]

Had to share that cause, cool story bro.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Some times it is better working some where else. It has for me making more money.
                                Good luck with the job interview!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X