TehRaydarlover's AWD Lover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TehRaydarlover's AWD Lover

Hello! This is my build thread for my ix, but first story time.

I must say I have pretty much fallen in love with this car. I didn't even know what an E30 was until I found this site while looking for a smaller AWD car to handle the MN winters and get me from collage and back. My roommate at the time owned an Audi 90 and I liked it a lot, he would let me drive it occasionally and basically let me hone my manual skills in it. I started looking at similar Audi's which eventually led me to BMW's. With my collage kid budget in mind I began searching Wikipedia and other online stuff, I eventually found out BMW made a small AWD car in the late 80s, neat. Browsing Craigslist and generic google searches eventually resulted in a FS ad on what other page but r3v haha. The car was located in Lansing Michigan, and I was in Milwaukee, WI for collage. I got extremely excited and called the guy and essentially told him I'm going to buy it lol. One 4AM bus ride later and I was in Lansing. I'll never forget getting off the bus and walking aimlessly to the parking lot looking for an older silver BMW. I came around the corner and parked all by itself was the car (mind you I had never actually seen an E30 in person before this lol). It was amazing haha, the sunlight was just right and the car looked epic, I was pretty much speechless I must have had the stupidest smile on my face lol. I drove it back to his house, killing it leaving the parking lot haha. He signed the title over to me and I gave him the cash. Then drove it back to MN, the car never skipped a beat! I purchased the car in the spring of 2013 and it has been my daily driver up until about the start of summer 2015. Since first buying the car I've graduated from Milwaukee School of Engineering and am now a mechanical engineer. Over the past few years I've become really passionate about these cars and they've kind of taken over my life lol.

On to the build!

I keep changing/updating this but the overall plan for the car is to restore the car while simultaneously (over)build the engine and drivetrain to "handle" ~5-600HP. I want the car to be clean and classy when you look at it but when you pop the hood or get on the gas you get a bit of a surprise haha. I've also kept in mind the idea of a numbers matching car so all of the original drivetrain parts will be removed and stored. That is none of the original drivetrain parts will be used with the turbo motor. I want the ability to be able to take this car back to an original "unmolested" state if I so choose to. I know this is more of an American muscle car thing but whatever.

Here are my build specs so far:
    Metric Mechanic 3.1L turbo stroker bottom end: 134.5mm rods, hard anodized forged pistons with surface turbulence (giggidy) and S52 crank
    New OEM valves with MM surface turbulence
    VAC valve springs
    VAC titanium retainers
    VAC billet rockers (early design)
    Shrick 284 cam (still on the fence)
    ARP head studs and main caps
    Extended spline length front drive shaft (thanks Juuso)
    CAtuned HD rear axles
    NEW DOTR 325ix transmission (its okay to be jelly)
    Rebuild rear diff (see post #56 for write up )
    Rebuild transfer case with rebuilt VC (see page XX for write up)
    Built front diff w/extra spider gears (see page XX for write up)
    Rebuilt front axles
    Megasquirt 3X with full sequential coil over plug
    Econoboost gauge
    SI shift lights
    George Graves AFR gauge

I have a head that was ported by Paul Burke but I'm kind of leaning toward doing some porting work on another head myself.
    As far as the turbo goes I'm still researching but as of right now I really like the Borg Warner Airworks S300S3X

I've been stock piling a lot of ix specific part in preparation for any rainy days:
    front diff x3
    oil pan x3
    front drive shaft x3
    rear drive shaft
    front cv shafts x2 sets
    transmission x2
    transfer case x3
    rear diff x2

I'll try and keep this first post updated with the build specs as I decide on them. I've put a lot of time and resources into this so far and I'm nowhere near complete, but then again its really fun so idgaf

Pics! This was soon after I bought the car:

This was last summer:

Then last fall:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 09-14-2015, 04:53 PM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
    Rear Diff Rebuild
    Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
    Transfer Case Rebuild
    "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

those itb's look sweet.
    Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

Where did you get a 885 head on solid works?
      I may bother you for that later on down the road for some projects I have in mind.

Comment

Thanks

I found it online somewhere. I just use it for a rough mock up, a lot of the dimensions are wrong.
        Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 05-03-2014, 02:58 PM.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
        Rear Diff Rebuild
        Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Jaguar E-type and Ferrari Dino from a car show today

Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 09-08-2015, 07:49 PM.

Build Thread
          Rear Diff Rebuild
          Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

oops I did not notice this project, it seems very interesting.......
            https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
            https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Excited to see where this goes!
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Sub'd! Love where you're taking this.

Been slowly stockpiling parts for my iX build! Keep up the great work!
                clutchCTRL!
                Move with a purpose.
                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                - 2000 323i AT
                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                  Excited to see where this goes!

Me too haha. I've been following your thread dealing with the GC coilovers, awesome work. I'm hoping you will have everything figured out by the time I am ready for the conversion haha.

Build Thread
                  Rear Diff Rebuild
                  Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by TehRaydarlover View Post
                    Me too haha. I've been following your thread dealing with the GC coilovers, awesome work. I'm hoping you will have everything figured out by the time I am ready for the conversion haha.
                    Thanks, man. I have a fresh set of axles and the sleeves that I need to raise the car up a tad more, so fingers crossed this will fix my axle issues once and for all!
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Bit of an update, I noticed that both of my drivers side front cv boots were torn so I decided it was time to swap in the axles I rebuild a while ago. One thing kinda led to another and I ended up replacing a lot of parts.

Got every thing pulled apart. Out with the old and in with the new
                      Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 07-14-2014, 01:11 PM.

Build Thread
                      Rear Diff Rebuild
                      Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Took me two long days to get everything disassembled... break time, off to Europe :)

5 days in Paris, France

4 day in Luzern, Switzerland

Saw my first touring and it was an ix :') thing was unbelievable must have just been restored. You could perform surgery on the underside of this thing. I tried knocking on the door but no one was home :(

3 days in Salzburg, Austria

Then finally 3 days in Munich, Germany

Picked up some euro goodies at a junkyard in Munich

THEN THE BMW WELT AND MUSEUM!!!

Another 325ix touring!!

neat

Cleanest m20 ever

Z1

The ///M division, I was the first person in the museum because I had to catch my plane to go home, not sure if you are suppose to go up on the platform the cars are on but no one was around so I did haha.

Flying over Greenland

Build Thread
                        Rear Diff Rebuild
                        Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Enough fun back to Minnesota

Cleaning my smileys

Got everything ready to be put back together when I noticed a bit of a problem. Broken subframe bolt :'( Funny I didn't even notice it broke until I came back from vacation and was ready to put it all back together. The bolt stayed in the subframe when it came down.

I bought an extractor and tried to get the broken subframe bolt out but nothing would work. Soaked it in penetrating oil for 3 days, tried heating it with a torch, nothing... ended up drilling it out and retapping the hole. Put the subframe back on and the new bolt fit perfectly! Thank God! Such a relief seeing I had to drill it out with a hand drill.

Got the new smileys installed and the city lights all wired up after dealing with finding a break in the passengers side wiring.

Got the new front driveshaft all welded and painted

So after all the work I now have rebuilt front axles, new control arms with m3 offset bushings, motor mounts, power steering rack, pump, and reservoir, upper strut mounts, all new belts, euro smileys, German check panel, and new fluids in the front/rear diffs transmission, and transfer case. I also tracked down the broken wire for my oil level sensor so now I have no lights on the dash or check panel! yay :)

As a reward for all the work I went to a car show and found a 1957 Isetta! So cool!

Build Thread
                          Rear Diff Rebuild
                          Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Cool
                            https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                            https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Good work.

How's the interior?